Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the realist)
    it's a social sciences university. In other words, it's not good

(Original post by W.H.T)
    Well thats a matter for the individual and potential employers when he/she applies for a job after uni.
    After? THATS BULLSH. One of the leading universty, you should demonstrate the skills and qualities required to be a good 'candidate' for your coures from day one. Any idiot could write 'I HAVE REALYL GOOD XYZ SKILLS, I WORKED IN HILTON HOTEL, DID THEIR FINANCE FOR DEM AND ALLZ' - just cause his dads got links and he did nuff all... He deserves a place? NO.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by therealOG)
    You sound like a hater lol. You do realise that this video is meant to be comical, hence the obvious exaggeration. Just look at LSE's ridiculously high employment figures and salaries - do you really think social retards could achieve what LSE graduates go on to do?
    I don't care about the video, I was so shocked to find out they DIDNT interview. Anyone know why they dont?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nation)
    I don't care about the video, I was so shocked to find out they DIDNT interview. Anyone know why they dont?
    I edited my post - have another look at it

ReputationRep:
    Didn't apply, I'll be doing a science course else where.
    I was joking.

But on a more serious note, most universities have now stopped interviewing for most courses. By your logic, you're suggesting that most university graduates are "social retards" who have no real interest in their chosen course of study. The reality is that LSE graduates are highly sought after by employers and often go on to do further study at some of the world's best universities i.e. Oxbridge, Harvard, MIT, etc.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Source? or are you just making that up.

You just proved my argument, all you have to do is get A*AA, which isn't easy but many social retards could get this with ease if not 3A* - research on google.com what to insert into the personal statment.

I met this guy who goes LSE who had a personl tutor JUST to help him write his personal statment. If he truly loved his courses, he wouldn't need to do that?
    Well I have been on TSR for two, nearly three years. I have read lots of threads on here and many people shows their grades an UCAS info on their profile. There are quite a few that got accepted at Oxbridge but not at LSE. I do not have the link to the course but if you are on TSR a lot you will find out. I used to want to go to LSE as well so I did a lot of research but I realised my grades werent good enough.

If you do think universities that do interviews are better than those that dont, using your logic, mor than half of UK universities are not worth going. :dontknow:

And do you think people who goes to Oxbridge or any other unis that do interview don't get private tutor to help them? At my local independent school, they gathered all students who have the potential to get into Oxbridge, help them write personal statements and, as there are interviews, they organised few mock interviews at college to prepare the candidate for the actual interview at the uni. So, anyone who are sociallly retarded can just practice being interviewed with the school and then cruise to get A*A*A* or AAA, whatever the uni wants them to get. :dontknow:

Just because they don't interview, it doesnt mean it's not good you know?

ReputationRep:
    They probably can't be bothered to interview so many international applicants.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    After? THATS BULLSH. One of the leading universty, you should demonstrate the skills and qualities required to be a good 'candidate' for your coures from day one. Any idiot could write 'I HAVE REALYL GOOD XYZ SKILLS, I WORKED IN HILTON HOTEL, DID THEIR FINANCE FOR DEM AND ALLZ' - just cause his dads got links and he did nuff all... He deserves a place? NO.
    At interview, I could pretend to have good personalities. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by street.lovin')
    They'd see right through it. You can't really pretend to be passionate about something if you haven't read about it or don't love to talk about it.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by und)
    They'd see right through it. You can't really pretend to be passionate about something if you haven't read about it or don't love to talk about it.
    Trust me. I can.
    I am a good actress if I want to be. :P
    You don't know who I am like.

ReputationRep:
    Have you ever been to an interview? You can't fake who you are in an interview, no way.

ReputationRep:
    Trust me. I can.
    I am a good actress if I want to be. :P
    You don't know who I am like.
    Could you fake being good at Maths if you were interviewed for a place at Trinity College, Cambridge by several professors of Maths?

ReputationRep:
    I was so shocked to find out they DIDNT interview. Anyone know why they dont?
    It's largely because of the sheer volume of applications they receive each year. Conducting interviews would be very costly, which is why most universities have now stopped interviewing candidates applying for some of the most competitive courses, i.e. law, economics, etc.

ReputationRep:
    VERDICT: Most LSE courses don't require 'personal human traits' and hence can be deemed as 'reasonable' not to interview candidates. Although, they should interview to find the best of the best, but finally IMO a a large number of people who go LSE are tools.

From now on, my opinion/view of LSE, i value it equally to any 'normal' unviersity, it isn't special, but the people who GO there are smart and hence turn out to be good employees. Overall, LSE = good unverisity, people go go LSE = not all of them are the best.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by braceface)
    It's largely because of the sheer volume of applications they receive each year. Conducting interviews would be very costly, which is why most universities have now stopped interviewing candidates applying for some of the most competitive courses, i.e. law, economics, etc.
    Medicine, the average per university is 3500 applicants for over 1000 interviews. Newcastle this year has done 1300 interviews for 250 places, LSE would barley need to interview 500 candidates.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by braceface)
    Why is economics so popular anyway? It sounds so boring... Is it because people want to graduate and work in an investment bank in the City for £45k a year?

ReputationRep:
    So why did you mention before about the need to be able to communicate well with customers?

There are no customers to serve in uni. You become a student and the university then has the responsibility to teach you your subject, and occasionally you will be set exams from which you are expected to do reasonably well at least. That is all.

You said that LSE being one of the leading university should expect applicants to demonstrate skills and quality required to be a good student. From their point of view - in fact this applies to all university, to be a good student means doing well in exams and completing assignments. Being 'approchable' and 'customer-friendly' won't get you extra mark when it comes to figuring out an answer to a complex maths question for an economics exam or writing an brilliant essay for a piece of Law coursework.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by und)
    Could you fake being good at Maths if you were interviewed for a place at Trinity College, Cambridge by several professors of Maths?
    If I was good enough to even be getting an interview for Maths at Trinity College, Cambridge then I must be amazingly clever at Maths and I will probably won't have to fake it! .....

Have you ever been to an interview? You can't fake who you are in an interview, no way.
    I have great personalities anyway so it is not that hard for me to pretend to have good personality. Your posts suggest that interview will help to see if anyone is not socially retarded, if I was an applicant I could pretend to have good personality. What's wrong with social retards anyway? Cant they be at uni?

ReputationRep:
    Medicine, the average per university is 3500 applicants for over 1000 interviews. Newcastle this year has done 1300 interviews for 250 places, LSE would barley need to interview 500 candidates.
    Medicine is the exception.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    VERDICT: Most LSE courses don't require 'personal human traits' and hence can be deemed as 'reasonable' not to interview candidates. Although, they should interview to find the best of the best, but finally IMO a a large number of people who go LSE are tools.

From now on, my opinion/view of LSE, i value it equally to any 'normal' unviersity, it isn't special, but the people who GO there are smart and hence turn out to be good employees. Overall, LSE = good unverisity, people go go LSE = not all of them are the best.
    In your OP, you suggest that uni that intereviews such as Oxbridge are better than LSE.

I do understand that Oxbridge are amazingly world renowed.

But hey, I do live in Cambridge. If the interview help in filtering social retards, then how come I sitll see many of them around here?

They came in to my restaurant, eat, read book, hardly talk to anybody.

LSE = good university
    People who go to LSE = not all of them are the best

You could also say the same thing about MANY other unis in the world!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by und)
    Why is economics so popular anyway? It sounds so boring... Is it because people want to graduate and work in an investment bank in the City for £45k a year?
    I will be studying Economics because I enjoy the principles and theoretical logic behind it. Not all of us want to graduate and dream to work in an investment bank and earn vast amount of money. There are other interesting career path that Economics lead to.

I have to agree though, it is fair to say that some of LSE's Economics student are only in it for Investment Banking. fact

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 28, 2013

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.