Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by und)
    Why is economics so popular anyway? It sounds so boring... Is it because people want to graduate and work in an investment bank in the City for £45k a year?
    Please can you not make assumptions on whether Economics is boring or not when you have never done the subject, also not everyone is after money even if it is Economics is a good route to gain it. In modern society the economic world has become a key aspect of our lives, therefore this could also be another reason why people would want to study it apart from the money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by und)
    Why is economics so popular anyway? It sounds so boring... Is it because people want to graduate and work in an investment bank in the City for £45k a year?
    I will be studying Economics because I enjoy the principles and theoretical logic behind it. Not all of us want to graduate and dream to work in an investment bank and earn vast amount of money. There are other interesting career path that Economics lead to.

I have to agree though, it is fair to say that some of LSE's Economics student are only in it for Investment Banking. fact

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by street.lovin')
    If I was good enough to even be getting an interview for Maths at Trinity College, Cambridge then I must be amazingly clever at Maths and I will probably won't have to fake it! .....
    Most people who apply get interviews at Cambridge. You're seriously deluded if you think you can get through the interview with ease if you're only 'good' at Maths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nation)
    Not neccesarily, been 'good employee' is someone who has the brain for it. A 'very good employee', the highest rank, will show finer human traits other than 'smartness'.
    No, a good employee is simply someone who is good at their job and is valued by their employer.

ReputationRep:
    LSE do not offer medicine btw op

ReputationRep:
    VERDICT: Most LSE courses don't require 'personal human traits' and hence can be deemed as 'reasonable' not to interview candidates. Although, they should interview to find the best of the best
    I'm pretty sure "personal human traits" are valued by employers, including those employers who tend to favour LSE graduates.

but the people who GO there are smart and hence turn out to be good employees.
    Being "smart" doesn't guarantee you "personal human traits" which are essential qualities in any "good employee".
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by *Hakz*)
    I will be studying Economics because I enjoy the principles and theoretical logic behind it. Not all of us want to graduate and dream to work in an investment bank and earn vast amount of money. There are other interesting career path that Economics lead to.

I have to agree though, it is fair to say that some of LSE's Economics student are only in it for Investment Banking. fact
    There is a misconception that people thinks going to university, doing competitive course will get them a job.

That's why I do believe that more than 40% of applicants are only going to uni because of that reason.

It is sad to know that people who don't have the true interest in the subject get offers and do the course.

This is like when people apply for a place at Oxbridge for the sake of the reputation and prestige. :P
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Extricated)
    LSE do not offer medicine btw op
    That's what I was going to say! LOOOL
    When I read his post, I was like 'how come he started talking about Medicine, LSE doesn't do Medicine?'
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by und)
    Most people who apply get interviews at Cambridge. You're seriously deluded if you think you can get through the interview with ease if you're only 'good' at Maths.
    You know, if I was to apply for Matsh at Cambridge.
    I would have thought I got 100% in Maths at A-levels and GCSEs. Also, I would have doen Further Maths. lol
    If I was that good to even 'dare' apply to these unis, why wouldn't I be good at Maths?
    Do you think someone who got 100% in all Maths module are not good at Maths?
    I am not saying you can get through the interview by just being good at Maths, you have to have other things.

And to be honest, in my original post I only said that I could fake being someone with good personalities. I did not say I could pretend to be good at Maths/the subject.
    So I don't get why you started talking about something else that I was not even on about.
    How could you confuse that? :P

ReputationRep:
    Why are you hating on LSE so much? Go find something better to do than rant about a uni you didn't even apply to.

ReputationRep:
    /thread

ReputationRep:
    You know, if I was to apply for Matsh at Cambridge.
    I would have thought I got 100% in Maths at A-levels and GCSEs. Also, I would have doen Further Maths. lol
    If I was that good to even 'dare' apply to these unis, why wouldn't I be good at Maths?
    Do you think someone who got 100% in all Maths module are not good at Maths?
    I am not saying you can get through the interview by just being good at Maths, you have to have other things.

And to be honest, in my original post I only said that I could fake being someone with good personalities. I did not say I could pretend to be good at Maths/the subject.
    So I don't get why you started talking about something else that I was not even on about.
    How could you confuse that? :P
    Getting 100% in a few Maths modules does not instantly make you good enough for a place at Cambridge. A level maths is nothing like the questions they present you with at the interview. I think you should have a look at a few interview questions before you make assumptions.

ReputationRep:
    There is a misconception that people thinks going to university, doing competitive course will get them a job.

That's why I do believe that more than 40% of applicants are only going to uni because of that reason.

It is sad to know that people who don't have the true interest in the subject get offers and do the course.

This is like when people apply for a place at Oxbridge for the sake of the reputation and prestige. :P
    This is so true.
    It is a shame that most individuals are not applying to university because of future prospects not for the love or interest of their chosen degree. Some will struggle, I tell you!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by und)
    Getting 100% in a few Maths modules does not instantly make you good enough for a place at Cambridge. A level maths is nothing like the questions they present you with at the interview. I think you should have a look at a few interview questions before you make assumptions.
    I have looked, thank you very much.
    I looked at few of them two three months ago because there were ltos of threads about it and yes, they are very very hard.
    That's why I stated in my comment that I was not saying that you can get rhough the interview by just being good at Maths. You NEED to have other things such as problem solving skills, natural intelligence.

Seriously, did you read my comment? :O

PS* Do not make assumption that I never seen the questions when you dont even knwo if I have or not. Hypocrit!

ReputationRep:

This is so true.
    It is a shame that most individuals are not applying to university because of future prospects not for the love or interest of their chosen degree. Some will struggle, I tell you!

ReputationRep:
    http://www.topuniversities.com/unive...social-science

LSE isn't 4th in the world for social sciences by coincidence. Whatever their system, it must work. They must know how to tell the good candidates from the "social retards", otherwise they wouldn't have such a good graduate rate, as well as provide excellent international career prospects.

ReputationRep:
    Don't overrate LSE. Sure, it's an amazing university, but I can think of a lot of universities that are better.

ReputationRep:
    They take dictators sons .

nuff said.

don't think you can hide from me by changing threads LSE trollers.

LSE alumni is sheeit.

ReputationRep:
    As for the banking schtick, everyone i know who works for big banks or accountancy firms studied engineering, mathematics/physics or computer science, plus the odd person who studied archeology, history etc....but i don't even think economics at LSE is even that great for that.

ReputationRep:
    Taking into consideration of the time that LSE was founded. It is by no means an overrated institution. Compare how long Oxbridge has been about and now LSE. Oxbridge is certainly superior as it's probably the oldest institution at least 800 years old.

LSE was founded in 1895 which is just over a hundred years ago an look at how many and famous alumnis that have produced. This isn't by coincidence, it just shows that they are a worldwide renowned institution that are brilliant at what they do. It is also the most competitive university in the world in terms of applicants per place. This again, isn't a coincidence. When it come to Economics and other political sciences, they are top-notch and this is undisputable.

Overall, it is certainly a brilliant institution and it certainly is as comparable with Oxbridge or even superior in certain aspects. However, Oxbridge will always dominate in the UK forever.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.