The Student Room Group

Why is LSE so good?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Nation
So basically anyone who is a social retard, can't speak to anyone and witht he worst personal qualities and traits can get into LSE?

I guess so but I don't understand how that would devalue the course!?!?!?!

The said secluded person would have to be pretty talented and devoted to the subject to get in so whether or not he/she have a social life, the standard of the university and course as a whole would still be high.
Reply 61
so far:
the teachings bad
lecturers aren't amazing (apart from econ)
a lot of us probably dont like our course or aren't there to learn economics and just want a job in the end
but oh well
we have fun, the social retard bit isn't true
anyone that can survive the 3 years and do well in their degree at LSE is definitely clever and would do well in the working world
yes its probably true, lse churns out bankers and lawyers and accountants etc. but not every university student can end up in research into their subject or teaching their subject... and most oxbridge students end up in the same places as LSE students, so in the end everyones the same

Edit: oh and from 2010 every LSE student learns about current affairs, the world, what causes... and crap like that in a compulsary module...
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 62
Original post by Nation
After? THATS BULLSH. One of the leading universty, you should demonstrate the skills and qualities required to be a good 'candidate' for your coures from day one. Any idiot could write 'I HAVE REALYL GOOD XYZ SKILLS, I WORKED IN HILTON HOTEL, DID THEIR FINANCE FOR DEM AND ALLZ' - just cause his dads got links and he did nuff all... He deserves a place? NO.

I don't usually make these kinds of petty comments but before you start mocking people's grammar, you should probably try learning the difference between 'been' and 'being'...
Reply 63
Great reputation, good connections with foreign countries like Libya... what's not to like?
Original post by the realist
do a real degree. we don't need more lawyers

Then what do we need?
Writing a personal statement without actually doing anything significant also takes a lot of talent and imagination.
Reply 66

do a real degree. we don't need more lawyers

I don't understand you logic here!

What kind of degrees do you classify as real???

Which degrees do you classify as 'not so real'?
Reply 67
Just one question to this post.

Do you think that a student who has AAAA grades (for undergrad course) or 1st class honours degree (for postgrad course) needs to be interviewed for admission?
Reply 68
Original post by kaosu_souzousha
Writing a personal statement without actually doing anything significant also takes a lot of talent and imagination.

Telling lies about one's achievement in an interview also takes a lot of talent and intelligence.
Original post by kingkhan
Just one question to this post.

Do you think that a student who has AAAA grades (for undergrad course) or 1st class honours degree (for postgrad course) needs to be interviewed for admission?

Well obviously they do. Everyone is perfect on the paper.
Telling lies about one's achievement in an interview also takes a lot of talent and intelligence.

It does. There are only a few people who can pull off a perfect lie and not get busted as a result.
Reply 71
Well obviously they do. Everyone is perfect on the paper.

hahahahaha....so everyone gets 100 out of 100.....optimistic results....:biggrin:
Reply 72
It does. There are only a few people who can pull off a perfect lie and not get busted as a result.

So you admit that lies can be made by telling or by writing (or lie has both verbal & paper formats).....even fake evidence can be made to support lies & can be twisted in such way that no verification could be made. That's why like Harvard or MIT or Yale, LSE's mostly courses required GRE/GMAT as they can be verified and these two tests fairly judge the analytical, mathematical, & verbal abilities of a student. Whereas, mostly courses of golden triangle members (Oxbridge, Imperial, KCL) have no condition of GRE/GMAT.

Hence proved, LSE's admission process is far better than any other institute's in this country.

Case is closed :cool:

Cheers!
So you admit that lies can be made by telling or by writing (or lie has both verbal & paper formats).....even fake evidence can be made to support lies & can be twisted in such way that no verification could be made. That's why like Harvard or MIT or Yale, LSE's mostly courses required GRE/GMAT as they can be verified and these two tests fairly judge the analytical, mathematical, & verbal abilities of a student. Whereas, mostly courses of golden triangle members (Oxbridge, Imperial, KCL) have no condition of GRE/GMAT.

Hence proved, LSE's admission process is far better than any other institute's in this country.

Cheers!

What if someone has slightly worse A levels, but scores higher on these tests? Do you take the slightly worse a level student, and if so wat was the point in doing them at all? If they take the better a level student the test was pointless.

Cheers!

You are implicitly assuming that GMAT/GRE is a superior test

Well you got STEP, AEA, TSA + Academic Interview at Oxbridge and Imperial.

You can lie all the way to the interview or admission test but then it ends isn't it?

I am not really sure what are you arguing about?
(edited 12 years ago)
hahahahaha....so everyone gets 100 out of 100.....optimistic results....:biggrin:

We are talking specifically about the top universities.
If you look at the uni stats you will see that the average applicant who manages to get in got ~90% across all modules.

100/100 is indeed very optimistic, well done at misinterpreting my point.
You are implicitly assuming that GMAT/GRE is a superior test

Well you got STEP, AEA, TSA + Academic Interview at Oxbridge and Imperial.

You can lie all the way to the interview or admission test but then it ends isn't it?

I am not really sure what are you arguing about?

indeed YES GRE or GMAT is a superior test than STEP,AEA or TSA because it's widely accepted & honestly I have never heard of this STEP,AEA or whatever
Reply 77
Original post by gamesofthrone
@ kaosu_souzousha indeed YES GRE or GMAT is a superior test than STEP,AEA or TSA because it's widely accepted & honestly I have never heard of this STEP,AEA or whatever

:biggrin:
Leave it he won't understand :tongue:
:biggrin:
Leave it he won't understand :tongue:

We are discussing undergraduate admission

Gmat has nothing to do with it

get your facts straight, people can listen and understand if explained properly you know

Before making yourself a laughing stock at least read what the thread is about
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by gamesofthrone
indeed YES GRE or GMAT is a superior test than STEP,AEA or TSA because it's widely accepted & honestly I have never heard of this STEP,AEA or whatever

I think we are discussing different things

GMAT and GRE are for graduates, correct?

This is an undergraduate admission discussion, please read the thread before posting
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending