Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Providing you're good enough to get an A* in Maths and an A in Further Maths?
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    It depends how much work you put into it really, and also which paper you do. Getting a 2 in STEP I isn't too hard as long as you're fluent in the A-level content. Doing past paper questions certainly helps; if you don't do any then you'll have a horrible surprise in the exam.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nuodai)
    It depends how much work you put into it really, and also which paper you do. Getting a 2 in STEP I isn't too hard as long as you're fluent in the A-level content. Doing past paper questions certainly helps; if you don't do any then you'll have a horrible surprise in the exam.
    Hey, seeing you do maths at Uni, how hard is it? How many hours of studying do you have to put in daily or a week on average besides class time?
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    (Original post by gunmetalpanda)
    Hey, seeing you do maths at Uni, how hard is it? How many hours of studying do you have to put in daily or a week on average besides class time?
    Pretty hard but very enjoyable. I usually do about 5-6 hours of work outside class time every day (including weekends), except just before a deadline when I end up working until I fall asleep at my desk :p:

ReputationRep:
    Pretty hard but very enjoyable. I usually do about 5-6 hours of work outside class time every day (including weekends), except just before a deadline when I end up working until I fall asleep at my desk :p:
    Wow, that's a lot more work than I've ever done, with the exception of my final year project work. What university do you go to?

ReputationRep:
    Madness.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dragon)
    Wow, that's a lot more work than I've ever done, with the exception of my final year project work. What university do you go to?
    Look at the location.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dragon)
    The workload at cambridge is notorious tbf.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gunmetalpanda)
    Providing you're good enough to get an A* in Maths and an A in Further Maths?
    You should really be of A* standard in further maths, though.

ReputationRep:
    Wow.

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to point out that this is definitely more than average (at least in my experience). Most people work much less hard than this!
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    (Original post by SimonM)
    I'd like to point out that this is definitely more than average (at least in my experience). Most people work much less hard than this!
    I have my off days... no-one can avoid a bit of healthy procrastination. I think I only put in so much time because example sheet questions take me a long time, particularly in subjects that I don't enjoy (I'm looking at you, Methods, and you, Complex Analysis)... whether that's because I just work ineffectively or because I have less 'natural talent' (whatever that is) than other people I don't know.

But 5-6 hours per day isn't that much really; I just work between lunch and dinner with a couple of breaks thrown in, and for an hour or so after dinner. I'm usually in the bar by 8:30pm.

ReputationRep:
    I have my off days... no-one can avoid a bit of healthy procrastination. I think I only put in so much time because example sheet questions take me a long time, particularly in subjects that I don't enjoy (I'm looking at you, Methods, and you, Complex Analysis)... whether that's because I just work ineffectively or because I have less 'natural talent' (whatever that is) than other people I don't know.

But 5-6 hours per day isn't that much really; I just work between lunch and dinner with a couple of breaks thrown in, and for an hour or so after dinner. I'm usually in the bar by 8:30pm.
    That wasn't meant to be a slur on you, I just didn't want people getting the wrong idea about studying maths at Cambridge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StephenP91)
    Look at the location.
    Well my observational skills/common sense suck :lol:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 13, 2011
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.