Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi TSR I need some help!

I need help deciding between these 2 uni's. I know Glasgow is more recognised but Stirling is such a beautiful campus and i'm having a hard time choosing between the 2!

Can anyone help me with some pros and cons maybe?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    glasgow is my firm choice.

ReputationRep:
    Go with your gut instinct. I'd go for Glasgow but I hate the countryside.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with OrmondDrone, go with your gut instinct. I didn't originally, went to Glasgow for the reputation...was totally miserable and transferred to Stirling!

It really depends what you want from your course/uni/city. What do I love about Stirling? The campus is beautiful. The facilities are slightly nicer/newer than Glasgow. There's a really nice atmosphere about the uni, everyone is so much more friendly than at Glasgow. No matter where you go on a night out in Stirling, chances are that you'll meet someone that you know =) And most recently - when the weather gets better, studying by the loch.

Do you have any questions about either uni, I could probably help because I've been in your shoes with exactly this decision!

x

ReputationRep:
    It definitely depends on what you want. If you like being n the countryside then choose Stirling. I would have to pick Glasgow myself though (biased- I am a student here). 3 Reasons:
    -Equally beautiful campus in some senses- the main building is one of the nicest buildings I've ever seen and it looks out on to Kelvingrove Park.
    -The West End, where it is located is a lovely "bohemian" area, it feels more like a town but the city is just a 20 minute walk/5 minute subway ride away
    -Good reputation

ReputationRep:
    It depends what you're looking for. I'm firming Stirling but I'm well aware that Glasgow has a much better reputation. You need to weigh up the advantages and disadvantages of each. Stirling is gorgeous, fairly respected, not too big, safe, and has a great student union (I hear). Whereas Glasgow is one of the best in the UK reputation-wise, has a lot of facilities, good transport links and a world class name.

It's you that knows best ultimately, but on balance and the fact I know nothing else about you, I'd choose Glasgow. The reputation is worth it.

ReputationRep:
    Just thought I'd throw in.....Glasgow's student union is a million times better than Stirling's.

ReputationRep:
    Go with Glasgow.

Stirling gets boring pretty quickly. The Campus is beautiful but after first year it is unlikely you will live there any longer and no offence to the people of Stirling but given the choice between living in a large city with a lot going on like Glasgow or a small city with two clubs, no music scene and little really to do like Stirling then Glasgow does win.

ReputationRep:
    I picked Glasgow in the end! Really looking forward to it Thanks for all the help!

ReputationRep:
    I chose Stirling, and I've loved every minute of it. As stated above everybody's friendly, and though the nightlife definitely doesn't have the variety of the big city - and in some cases definitely not the standard - I've had some quality nights out, including Chase & Status doing a set in one of the local clubs!

That said, the Student Union is pretty bad, the Union bar's prices keep getting racked up, and the Union club leaves pretty much everything to be desired, though it's always fun to think about just how bad the club is compared to anywhere else I've ever been. Kitchen drinking makes up for it though. The shop on campus is relatively cheap, and obviously you've got Tesco, Aldi and probably some other cheap distributors of alcohol and food that I haven't yet discovered only ten minutes bus ride away.

It really depends whether you want the city or the small town though. Hope this helps.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.