Turn on thread page Beta
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by INeedToRevise)
    Same lool plants=boring. Haha. I imagine you will have to do some biology in uni if your doing psychology so its good to get a head start

Can't believe someone negged me for saying I hate biology -.-
    Yeah, our first module is on the mind and brain, which is apparently very biology based so hopefully I should get used to that pretty quickly. It's so exciting

I know! There was no real need for that.

ReputationRep:
    I got the results of my Child Psychology mock, 28/30 isn't bad at all! Lost marks on a question on cross-cultural studies but overall I'm really pleased. :woo:

I'm sure when my anxiety is running high and I'm hyperventilating in an exam hall I'll fare a lot worse, but it's nice to know I'll have a chance.

Has anyone had mock exams yet? I can post the criminal, clinical and child questions if you haven't.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by briesandwich)
    I got the results of my Child Psychology mock, 28/30 isn't bad at all! Lost marks on a question on cross-cultural studies but overall I'm really pleased. :woo:

I'm sure when my anxiety is running high and I'm hyperventilating in an exam hall I'll fare a lot worse, but it's nice to know I'll have a chance.

Has anyone had mock exams yet? I can post the criminal, clinical and child questions if you haven't.
    Yay that's brilliant! Well done
    I haven't had a mock yet, and I don't know if I will tbh as my new teacher is useless, and he hasn't even mentioned it. But I did make him send me the Unit 3 and 4 papers from January so I can do those at some point
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper

I had a criminal mock today! It was from the January paper, and it really wasn't that bad...so my dreams that a TEP 12 mark question will come up in June isn't going to happen =(
    I don't know what my full mark is yes 'cause our teacher is marking the 12 marker, but everything else went pretty well!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lozzyhickers)
    I had a criminal mock today! It was from the January paper, and it really wasn't that bad...so my dreams that a TEP 12 mark question will come up in June isn't going to happen =(
    I don't know what my full mark is yes 'cause our teacher is marking the 12 marker, but everything else went pretty well!
    eeeeeee I'm glad it all went well. :^_^: The 12 marker is a pain since it's almost always at the end of the papers! I think in the actual exam I'll skip to the back and answer that one first.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    eeeeeee I'm glad it all went well. :^_^: The 12 marker is a pain since it's almost always at the end of the papers! I think in the actual exam I'll skip to the back and answer that one first.
    That's exactly what i'm thinking of doing lol! And that one question can make or break your grade too. Last year, for Unit 2 I was dreading questions on the key issue for Psychodynamic, as when the class learnt it, i'd had a death in the family, so I wasn't totally with it and found it impossible to catch up. But of course...it came up didn't it?! But I managed to get 2 marks off an A.

They're not too bad when you think of it as 6 marks description, 6 marks evaluation. But sometimes the evaluation points are quite weak.

ReputationRep:
    I am doing Edexcel A2 Chemistry & Physics.
    Good luck to everyone having their exams coming up!

ReputationRep:
    That's exactly what i'm thinking of doing lol! And that one question can make or break your grade too. Last year, for Unit 2 I was dreading questions on the key issue for Psychodynamic, as when the class learnt it, i'd had a death in the family, so I wasn't totally with it and found it impossible to catch up. But of course...it came up didn't it?! But I managed to get 2 marks off an A.

They're not too bad when you think of it as 6 marks description, 6 marks evaluation. But sometimes the evaluation points are quite weak.
    I'm sorry to hear about the death in the family. But 2 marks off an A is fantastic! In my first year I only got a C... mostly because I barely turned up to lesson, but I'm hoping to redeem myself by resitting Unit 2. I'm just glad that I'm now getting good marks.. Thankfully A2 really concentrates on evaluation points, issues and debates REALLY helps in my opinion, even if I feel like I'm constantly preaching about ethics. :rolleyes:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I'm sorry to hear about the death in the family. But 2 marks off an A is fantastic! In my first year I only got a C... mostly because I barely turned up to lesson, but I'm hoping to redeem myself by resitting Unit 2. I'm just glad that I'm now getting good marks.. Thankfully A2 really concentrates on evaluation points, issues and debates REALLY helps in my opinion, even if I feel like I'm constantly preaching about ethics. :rolleyes:
    Yeah, I could have retaken, but it would have bee this June, so i'd rather thy harder this year. And my teacher told me about Remarking too late! Oh well

I think you'll do really well .
    Is it just me or is there less content on A2?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I could have retaken, but it would have bee this June, so i'd rather thy harder this year. And my teacher told me about Remarking too late! Oh well

I think you'll do really well .
    Is it just me or is there less content on A2?
    A lot less, because there is more questions on evaluation. :yep:
    We'll all do really well! And after the 21st of June we'll all be saying "WOW! That was easy! Thank God for the TSR thread!"
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    A lot less, because there is more questions on evaluation. :yep:
    We'll all do really well! And after the 21st of June we'll all be saying "WOW! That was easy! Thank God for the TSR thread!"
    I've found this year way harder to revise for, I suck at evaluation!
    Hehe, yeah I hope we do I'll be so relieved once this is over, even more so as Unit 4 is my last exam!

ReputationRep:
    And after the 21st of June we'll all be saying "WOW! That was easy! Thank God for the TSR thread!"
    Haha I hope we will be saying that. I still have 2 more exams after the 21st

ReputationRep:

Do you guys have any of the past papers from this year/last year? Edexcel have a lock on their past papers and my teachers aren't able to access them Thanks

And, for issues and debates, when your evaluating ethics for animals and humans, which studies did you cover? The specification says you have to learn two studies.

Oh and also, what was your key issue for clinical?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Do you guys have any of the past papers from this year/last year? Edexcel have a lock on their past papers and my teachers aren't able to access them Thanks
    I can help with Edexcel Maths but that's it:

http://www.sci2.co.uk/maths.html

C1-C4 Jan 2011. The rest are mainly June 2010. Hope it helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kahtapluhar)
    I can help with Edexcel Maths but that's it:

http://www.sci2.co.uk/maths.html

C1-C4 Jan 2011. The rest are mainly June 2010. Hope it helps.
    Thanks
    But I was mainly asking for psychology I could never do maths haha
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper

And, for issues and debates, when your evaluating ethics for animals and humans, which studies did you cover? The specification says you have to learn two studies.

Oh and also, what was your key issue for clinical?

Thanks
    I've only got June Unit 3 and 4, I can always copy and paste the questions on here if you want?

My key issue for Clinical was Understanding Anorexia. But we had a choice of that or Understanding S1
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Unit 3- June 2010
    Spoiler:
    Show

SECTION A: CRIMINOLOGICAL PSYCHOLOGY

A1 (a) Loftus and Palmer (1974) investigated the effect of leading questions on
    eyewitness testimony.
    Outline the findings (results and/or conclusions) of Loftus and Palmer’s
    experiment. (3)

(b) Evaluate Loftus and Palmer’s (1974) experiment in terms of validity. (2)

(c) Evaluate Loftus and Palmer’s (1974) experiment in terms of reliability. (2)

(d) Criminal psychologists often use the findings of research when advising the police
    on techniques to improve eyewitness memory.
    Explain how the findings (results and/or conclusions) of research could be used by
    police to improve the effectiveness of eyewitness memory. (3)

A2 During your course you will have conducted a practical investigation on a topic in
    criminological psychology using either a content analysis or a summary of two article sources.
    (a) What was the aim/purpose of your practical investigation? (2)

(b) Describe how you went about gathering and/or analysing the data for your
    practical investigation. (3)

(c) Outline the findings (results and/or conclusions) you have drawn from your
    practical investigation. You may wish to use research, theories and/or concepts
    from criminological psychology to outline your findings. (3)

*A3 There has been a recent increase in anti-social behaviour amongst girls which has
    led to more ASBOs (Anti-Social Behaviour Orders) being served.
    Describe how one psychological theory other than Social Learning Theory explains
    anti-social behaviour, and evaluate this explanation. (12)

Spoiler:
    Show

SECTION B: CHILD PSYCHOLOGY

B1 During your course you will have studied one developmental issue from the
    following:
    • severe learning difficulties
    • autism
    • ADHD.
    (a) (i) Outline characteristics of the developmental issue you have studied. Make it
    clear which developmental issue you are referring to. (3)

(ii) Issues such as severe learning difficulties, autism and ADHD tend to affect a
    child’s development.
    Compare two explanations of the developmental issue that you have outlined
    in (a)(i). Comparisons include similarities and/or differences. (4)

(b) Many children attend daycare. Explain the possible positive effects of daycare for
    children. (3)

B2 (a) Describe the case study as a research method used to study child development.
    (4)

(b) Evaluate the case study as a research method used to study child development.
    You may wish to evaluate in terms of:
    • reliability
    • validity
    • ethical issues. (4)

*B3 Describe and evaluate one of the following research studies:
    • Bowlby (1946)
    • Belsky and Rovine (1988)
    • Rutter and the ERA team (1998). (12)

Spoiler:
    Show

SECTION C: HEALTH PSYCHOLOGY

C1 (a) Describe the mode of action (how it affects brain functioning) of one drug you have studied. Make it clear which drug you are referring to. (3)

(b) During your course you will have conducted a practical investigation on a topic in
    health psychology using either a content analysis or a summary of two article sources.
    Explain the findings (results and/or conclusions) of your practical investigation
    using research, theories and/or concepts you have learned about in health
    psychology. (4)

C2 (a) Outline one way of using animals in psychological research to investigate the
    effects of drugs. (2)

(b) Explain the practical advantages and/or disadvantages of using animals in
    psychological research to investigate the effects of drugs. (3)

(c) Psychologists often use human participants to investigate substance misuse.
    Describe one research method as it is used when studying the effects of drugs on
    human participants. (3)

(d) Evaluate one study you have learned about that has used human participants to
    investigate the effects of drugs. Identify the study you are evaluating. (3)

*C3 Jagdeep works at a clinic which treats people who misuse drugs.
    Describe and evaluate two ways in which the clinic might treat drug misuse. (12)

Spoiler:
    Show

SECTION DPORT PSYCHOLOGY

D1 (a) Define the following terms:
    • Intrinsic motivation
    • Extrinsic motivation. (3)

(b) Ian is a trampolinist who came third in a recent competition and is feeling low. His
    coach needs to improve his motivation before the next competition.
    Explain how Ian’s coach would use achievement motivation theory to improve
    Ian’s motivation. (3)

(c) Evaluate achievement motivation theory. (4)

D2 (a) Outline how qualitative data can be gathered using a questionnaire. (2)

(b) Explain why sports psychologists might choose to use qualitative data in their
    research. (3)

(c) Describe how the questionnaire as a research method was used in the Boyd and
    Monroe (2003) study. (3)

*D3 Describe and evaluate one of the following research studies:
    • Cottrell et al (1968)
    • Koivula (1995)
    • Craft et al (2003). (12)
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Unit 4- June 2010
    Spoiler:
    Show

SECTION A: CLINICAL PSYCHOLOGY

1 (a) Describe the symptoms of schizophrenia. (4)

(b) (i) Describe one explanation for schizophrenia. (4)

(ii) Evaluate the explanation for schizophrenia you have given in (b)(i). (5)

(c) Describe one research method used to study schizophrenia. (4)

2 (a) You have learned about Rosenhan’s (1973) study ‘On being sane in insane places’.
    Outline what the pseudo-patients did in the study. (2)

(b) Rosenhan (1973) used primary data.
    What is meant by primary data? (1)

(c) Many psychologists use primary data to investigate issues in clinical psychology.
    Evaluate the use of primary data. (5)

3 You have learned about a study that investigates one disorder other than
    schizophrenia.
    (a) Outline the findings (results and/or conclusions) of this study. Identify the study in
    your answer. (3)

(b) Evaluate the study that you have outlined in (a). (5)

*4 Michael has been referred to a therapist for help with his mental health problems.
    The therapist has suggested that either a token economy programme or systematic
    desensitisation will help Michael.
    Describe and evaluate either a token economy programme or systematic
    desensitisation as it is used to treat mental disorders. Identify the therapy in your
    answer. (12)

Spoiler:
    Show

SECTION B:ISSUES AND DEBATES

Answer Questions 5, 6 and 7 and then EITHER Question 8(a) OR Question 8(b).
    You are advised to spend approximately one hour on Section B.

5 During your course you will have studied two applications of Psychology from the
    following:
    • Criminological
    • Child
    • Health
    • Sport.
    Choose one of the applications from the list above and explain how it has contributed
    to society. (5)

6 (a) Within the Psychodynamic Approach you learned about the study by Freud (1909)
    into the case of Little Hans who had a phobia of horses. In this study, Hans’s father
    wrote to Freud to tell him the content of Hans’s dreams and his interviews with his
    child. Freud then analysed this information.
    (i) Evaluate this study in terms of validity issues. (2)

(ii) Suggest one way in which the Little Hans study might have been improved. (2)

(b) Freud developed psychoanalysis, a therapy designed to treat patients with
    psychological issues. Today there are many other treatments/therapies available
    to help people. Treatments/therapies can be seen as forms of social control.

Assess both practical and ethical implications of the social control exerted by
    those who provide treatment/therapy. (6)

*7 You have been asked to conduct an experiment to test the effectiveness of two
    different types of revision. One type is doing some each day over an extended period
    (spaced revision). The other type is where the learner does all the revision in a short
    period of time (cramming).
    Write a plan for an experiment to test which of these two ways of revising is better.
    You should use either a laboratory experiment, a field experiment or a natural
    experiment.
    You should consider the following issues (there are others):
    • design
    • variables
    • ethical issues
    • type of data and how it would be gathered. (12)

*8 (a) You have studied the Social, Cognitive, Psychodynamic, Biological and Learning
    Approaches during your course.
    Describe Psychodynamic explanations of human behaviour and evaluate these
    explanations using at least two other approaches. (18)

*8 (b) Several recent incidents of ships losing some of their cargo in stormy weather have revived behaviour thought to have disappeared from modern life, with people descending on the coastline to help themselves to the goods washed ashore. The police have reminded people that such behaviour is theft. Others argue the activities are traditional, people
    have done this ever since humans started travelling by sea, and no-one is harmed by
    taking shipwrecked goods as the owners will not want to reclaim items spilling out of the
    containers into the sea.

With reference to the article above, use your knowledge of psychological theories
    to describe and evaluate one or more explanations for why people behave in this
    way. (18)

ReputationRep:
    Unit 4- June 2010
    Spoiler:
    Show

SECTION A: CLINICAL PSYCHOLOGY

1 (a) Describe the symptoms of schizophrenia. (4)

(b) (i) Describe one explanation for schizophrenia. (4)

(ii) Evaluate the explanation for schizophrenia you have given in (b)(i). (5)

(c) Describe one research method used to study schizophrenia. (4)

2 (a) You have learned about Rosenhan’s (1973) study ‘On being sane in insane places’.
    Outline what the pseudo-patients did in the study. (2)

(b) Rosenhan (1973) used primary data.
    What is meant by primary data? (1)

(c) Many psychologists use primary data to investigate issues in clinical psychology.
    Evaluate the use of primary data. (5)

3 You have learned about a study that investigates one disorder other than
    schizophrenia.
    (a) Outline the findings (results and/or conclusions) of this study. Identify the study in
    your answer. (3)

(b) Evaluate the study that you have outlined in (a). (5)

*4 Michael has been referred to a therapist for help with his mental health problems.
    The therapist has suggested that either a token economy programme or systematic
    desensitisation will help Michael.
    Describe and evaluate either a token economy programme or systematic
    desensitisation as it is used to treat mental disorders. Identify the therapy in your
    answer. (12)

Spoiler:
    Show

SECTION B:ISSUES AND DEBATES

Answer Questions 5, 6 and 7 and then EITHER Question 8(a) OR Question 8(b).
    You are advised to spend approximately one hour on Section B.

5 During your course you will have studied two applications of Psychology from the
    following:
    • Criminological
    • Child
    • Health
    • Sport.
    Choose one of the applications from the list above and explain how it has contributed
    to society. (5)

6 (a) Within the Psychodynamic Approach you learned about the study by Freud (1909)
    into the case of Little Hans who had a phobia of horses. In this study, Hans’s father
    wrote to Freud to tell him the content of Hans’s dreams and his interviews with his
    child. Freud then analysed this information.
    (i) Evaluate this study in terms of validity issues. (2)

(ii) Suggest one way in which the Little Hans study might have been improved. (2)

(b) Freud developed psychoanalysis, a therapy designed to treat patients with
    psychological issues. Today there are many other treatments/therapies available
    to help people. Treatments/therapies can be seen as forms of social control.

Assess both practical and ethical implications of the social control exerted by
    those who provide treatment/therapy. (6)

*7 You have been asked to conduct an experiment to test the effectiveness of two
    different types of revision. One type is doing some each day over an extended period
    (spaced revision). The other type is where the learner does all the revision in a short
    period of time (cramming).
    Write a plan for an experiment to test which of these two ways of revising is better.
    You should use either a laboratory experiment, a field experiment or a natural
    experiment.
    You should consider the following issues (there are others):
    • design
    • variables
    • ethical issues
    • type of data and how it would be gathered. (12)

*8 (a) You have studied the Social, Cognitive, Psychodynamic, Biological and Learning
    Approaches during your course.
    Describe Psychodynamic explanations of human behaviour and evaluate these
    explanations using at least two other approaches. (18)

*8 (b) Several recent incidents of ships losing some of their cargo in stormy weather have revived behaviour thought to have disappeared from modern life, with people descending on the coastline to help themselves to the goods washed ashore. The police have reminded people that such behaviour is theft. Others argue the activities are traditional, people
    have done this ever since humans started travelling by sea, and no-one is harmed by
    taking shipwrecked goods as the owners will not want to reclaim items spilling out of the
    containers into the sea.

With reference to the article above, use your knowledge of psychological theories
    to describe and evaluate one or more explanations for why people behave in this
    way. (18)
    you are a sainttt!! i have a clinical mock exam tommorw and i've nooo idea how its gunna be laid out or how to revise for it..Thank you!!! <3

ReputationRep:
    I've only got June Unit 3 and 4, I can always copy and paste the questions on here if you want?

My key issue for Clinical was Understanding Anorexia. But we had a choice of that or Understanding S1
    Thank youu
    Really helpful

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 15, 2012
Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.