Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Been thinking about this whole accents thing..would you agree with this? Watch

ReputationRep:
    So after reading so many threads by the user 'kalaghoda' with regards to his insecurities with the Indian accent and also reading a lot of the replies on here..here's what I feel.
    First of all, I'm from Singapore but of Indian origin so I speak in a weird Indian-Singaporean accent.
    Why are accents like the Indian, Chinese, African accents considered 'funny' or 'odd'? It's because these countries are not as developed as some of the 'western world' countries and also many of them have been colonized in the past by Europeans. This has left a sense of inferiority and insecurity in its people and hence their accents are also considered funny and inferior and people mock them.
    On the other hand, accents like the British, American and Australian are considered nice and 'normal'. It's because they have a superiority complex.
    There are so many Indians I know who migrate to these countries and try to talk with these accents and then ridicule the Indian accent. It's because they now feel 'superior'.
    I hate this.

ReputationRep:
    Hi kalaghoda
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I wasn't aware there was an 'African' accent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n1r4v)
    Hi kalaghoda
    I'm not kalaghoda. I am a friend of kalaghoda's though and he asked me to post this on behalf of him.

ReputationRep:
    How are things, "black horse" aka kalaghoda?

(Original post by wouldyoudance)
    So after reading so many threads by the user 'kalaghoda' with regards to his insecurities with the Indian accent and also reading a lot of the replies on here..here's what I feel.
    First of all, I'm from Singapore but of Indian origin so I speak in a weird Indian-Singaporean accent.
    Why are accents like the Indian, Chinese, African accents considered 'funny' or 'odd'? It's because these countries are not as developed as some of the 'western world' countries and also many of them have been colonized in the past by Europeans. This has left a sense of inferiority and insecurity in its people and hence their accents are also considered funny and inferior and people mock them.
    On the other hand, accents like the British, American and Australian are considered nice and 'normal'. It's because they have a superiority complex.
    There are so many Indians I know who migrate to these countries and try to talk with these accents and then ridicule the Indian accent. It's because they now feel 'superior'.
    I hate this.
    Well it is true that some accents are sexier than others. :sexface:

ReputationRep:
    No need to be so 'All British and Americans are nasty'-ish

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    Well it is true that some accents are sexier than others. :sexface:
    They are just perceived to be sexier because those countries are better developed and rich.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not kalaghoda. I am a friend of kalaghoda's though and he asked me to post this on behalf of him.
    Of course. And the Moon is made of cheese, isn't it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexisonfire)
    How are things, "black horse" aka kalaghoda?
    he says things are fine... btw alexisonfire..you should see this video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQMiuNQ0rEM apu accent eh?

ReputationRep:
    They are just perceived to be sexier because those countries are better developed and rich.
    Or because they aren't as funny...
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I've barely ever heard people mocking an accent directly. Yes people use an accent when joking about people of a certain country but this is done with every country, not just about Indians/Chinese people etc.

ReputationRep:
    he says things are fine... btw alexisonfire..you should see this video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQMiuNQ0rEM apu accent eh?
    Nah, his voice is too low.

ReputationRep:
    Or because they aren't as funny...
    Yeah but didn't you read my OP? They are considered 'funny' because people from those countries and the countries themselves are considered inferior. It is all in the mind.

Or because they are genuinely more sexually seductive?

ReputationRep:
    Nah, his voice is too low.
    Exactly so all Indians don't talk in that accent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    are because they are genuinely more sexually seductive?

although they're not native, it's pretty obvious which ones are the nicer-sounding ones.
    it's all in the mind don't you get it? Europeans, americans, australians think they are superior because they are developed and rich. Hence the 'nicer-sounding' thing is just in the mind. If the indians and chinese were rich and developed, their accents would sound 'nice'.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah but didn't you read my OP? They are considered 'funny' because people from those countries and the countries themselves are considered inferior. It is all in the mind.
    Don't read so much into it. It isn't even meant seriously. It's just funny.
    Imagine a westerner trying to speak your language and has an accent.
    It's just as funny.

ReputationRep:
    It's because they are funny or odd to some ears. It's not quite the usual accent, is it? I lived in Thailand for quite some time (and spoke Thai!) and I had what they considered a funny and/or odd accent.

ReputationRep:
    People mock pretty much all accents tbh. There's the typical Texas accent which people mock by saying they're all stupid hillbillys who want to electrocute anything that's not Christian and fire guyns in the air, trashy violent Glasgow accent, lazy thick surfer Australian, drunk Irish, ectr...

Every accent under the sun has some kind of stereotype and potential for mocking.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 12, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.