Turn on thread page Beta

Been thinking about this whole accents thing..would you agree with this? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexisonfire)
    Don't read so much into it. It isn't even meant seriously. It's just funny.
    Imagine a westerner trying to speak your language and has an accent.
    It's just as funny.
    Yeah but the thing that sucks ass is that if a westerner talks my language in his accent, people here would be like 'Wow you can speak our language. Awesome!'

ReputationRep:
    It's nothing to do with colonisation. People find the German accent funny and the French and the Japanese and the Russian etc. etc.

Whatever's strange or unusual often tends to be seen as funny. British, American and Australian accents are heard more often and are similar to, or are, the standard English of the UK or USA.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wouldyoudance)
    Exactly so all Indians don't talk in that accent.
    You do realize Apu is a stereotype? An exaggeration.

it's all in the mind don't you get it? Europeans, americans, australians think they are superior because they are developed and rich. Hence the 'nicer-sounding' thing is just in the mind. If the indians and chinese were rich and developed, their accents would sound 'nice'.
    No, they really really wouldn't.

If you took a random sample of women and asked them which accents they found to be the sexiest, I guarantee you it would be the Western ones - as they do sound nice!

ReputationRep:
    it's all in the mind don't you get it? Europeans, americans, australians think they are superior because they are developed and rich. Hence the 'nicer-sounding' thing is just in the mind. If the indians and chinese were rich and developed, their accents would sound 'nice'.
    You have a point. Also because the most of the worlds media (news, tv) is in american english, so it is the accent we hear the most. If most of the media was in an Indian accent, our perception of what sounds good would probably change.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    Or because they are genuinely more sexually seductive?
    I find it quite funny how in the last few months your posts have veered towards sex, masturbation, flirting and "private" parts. (less this post, but still )

Has puberty gone up a gear or something?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jismith1989)
    It's nothing to do with colonisation. People find the German accent funny and the French and the Japanese and the Russian etc. etc.

Whatever's strange or unusual often tends to be seen as funny.
    Its only strange because we are not used to it. If we heard the german accent all the time instead of an english one we would probably start thinking english sounded strange.

ReputationRep:
    Not really, those accents just generally sound funny. Of course some people will like them and others can't stand them. I find chavvy British accents and a lot of American accents as well as some African and asian/indian accents annoying/ funny. I'm Eastern European, African and (a little) Chinese by heritage so I'm not exactly on some kind of high horse. Sorry, but I consider British accents as nice and normal, maybe it's something to do with the fact that I'm british and live in Britain:dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    So after reading so many threads by the user 'kalaghoda' with regards to his insecurities with the Indian accent and also reading a lot of the replies on here..here's what I feel.
    First of all, I'm from Singapore but of Indian origin so I speak in a weird Indian-Singaporean accent.
    Why are accents like the Indian, Chinese, African accents considered 'funny' or 'odd'? It's because these countries are not as developed as some of the 'western world' countries and also many of them have been colonized in the past by Europeans. This has left a sense of inferiority and insecurity in its people and hence their accents are also considered funny and inferior and people mock them.
    On the other hand, accents like the British, American and Australian are considered nice and 'normal'. It's because they have a superiority complex.
    There are so many Indians I know who migrate to these countries and try to talk with these accents and then ridicule the Indian accent. It's because they now feel 'superior'.
    I hate this.
    I've never actually heard people mocking any accent apart from South American (think Texas, not Chile) directly. Only when parodying the 'habits' of a country, ie. curry for India, or bockwurst, Sauerkraut and leather trousers for Germany (we don't even like Sauerkraut, speaking as the majority of the population :mad: ). It tends to be in good fun though.

ReputationRep:
    I think it is just funny when someone with a strong accent is speaking a different language to their native one. Plus regional accents are just as hilarious (e.g Liverpudlian). Hmmm maybe it is to do with the strength of the accent.

ReputationRep:
    They are just perceived to be sexier because those countries are better developed and rich.
    Not true. It depends on the person. For example, I think that the Australian (rich country) accent is funny, and the Kiribati (poor country) accent is lovely.
    I see where you're coming from a bit though, there is sometimes racism involved when people are mocking accents. Also, the fact that the American accent is perceived as 'cool' and 'sexy', is probably largely due to the fact that there are so many American films and tv shows over here, so Brits are very exposed to this accent.

ReputationRep:
    I generally find the Australian accent quiet funny myself and a fair few other western accents so believe me everyone's accent is taken the piss out of by someone. Take me for example I have a very strong Valleys Welsh accent which all my English Uni friends find very funny :|

ReputationRep:
    So after reading so many threads by the user 'kalaghoda' with regards to his insecurities with the Indian accent and also reading a lot of the replies on here..here's what I feel.
    First of all, I'm from Singapore but of Indian origin so I speak in a weird Indian-Singaporean accent.
    Why are accents like the Indian, Chinese, African accents considered 'funny' or 'odd'? It's because these countries are not as developed as some of the 'western world' countries and also many of them have been colonized in the past by Europeans. This has left a sense of inferiority and insecurity in its people and hence their accents are also considered funny and inferior and people mock them.
    On the other hand, accents like the British, American and Australian are considered nice and 'normal'. It's because they have a superiority complex.
    There are so many Indians I know who migrate to these countries and try to talk with these accents and then ridicule the Indian accent. It's because they now feel 'superior'.
    I hate this.
    Dude, there are worse things than a frickin accent. And yes, Indian, Chinese, African accents are FUNNY AS HELL!!! I'm pakistani myself so don't go labelling me "some ignorant british dude who doesn't know the struggles of the indian people". BUT, if you listen to newscasters, etc. with these accents, they have quite polished accents, and those don't sound funny at all. Anyone with a thick foreign accent is usually made fun of anyway. I'd take the piss out of an australian mate anyday. Crikey.

Think about the Arab accent, no one finds it funny, but you'd think that if there existed a superiority/inferiority complex as you claim, surely Arabs would be 'victims' of the West's superiority complex, and thus the accent be ridiculed?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Melanie-v)
    I've never actually heard people mocking any accent apart from South American (think Texas, not Chile) directly. Only when parodying the 'habits' of a country, ie. curry for India, or bockwurst, Sauerkraut and leather trousers for Germany (we don't even like Sauerkraut, speaking as the majority of the population :mad: )
    mmh, bockwurst und sauerkraut sind ausgezeichnet, ja?

Yeah the German stereotype is based on what people see at Oktoberfest. But it's still funny, ja?

ReputationRep:
    Who really cares? In Britain any British dialect will be compared to 'Standard English' or Received Pronunciation (RP). Just like someone would be surprised at a cockney accent if they lived in the West Country because we're not used to those accents on a daily basis. It isn't just the Indian accent that gets mocked, it's also Liverpudlian or "Scousers", Cockney, even RP and the "BBC accent"! I shouldn't worry. Life goes on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lewroll)
    Its only strange because we are not used to it. If we heard the german accent all the time instead of an english one we would probably start thinking english sounded strange.
    Yeah, of course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ca11ie)
    Not true. It depends on the person. For example, I think that the Australian (rich country) accent is funny, and the Kiribati (poor country) accent is lovely.
    I see where you're coming from a bit though, there is sometimes racism involved when people are mocking accents. Also, the fact that the American accent is perceived as 'cool' and 'sexy', is probably largely due to the fact that there are so many American films and tv shows over here, so Brits are very exposed to this accent.
    Weird. We tend to find the South american (texas) accent funny and the north one almost normal at my school. Now scottish... sexy. Then again, it's a British school in Germany.

(Original post by Alexisonfire)
    mmh, bockwurst und sauerkraut sind ausgezeichnet, ja?

Yeah the German stereotype is based on what people see at Oktoberfest. But it's still funny, ja?
    Ja. Zumindest die Bockwurst.

Though Oktoberfest... we should be famous for our beer, dammit, not our veggies! :fuhrer:

ReputationRep:
    Some accents are funny, some are sexy, some sound strange.

French accents are sexy. Russian accents can be sexy. German accents are not.

Russian accents can be as funny as Indian accents or Irish accents.

American accents can sound ignorant or stupid.

There is a Canadian Indian guy who is hillarious about Chinese and Indians - Russell Peters (search 'be a man, do the right thing' on youtube) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qtrAMK7_Qk

And I think most Indians find 'Goodness Gracious Me' funny.

I dont think you need to worry about your accent for social or academic purposes, but if you worry its holding you back on the dating front then buy one of those acting CDs that help teach actors to speak in any accent they want (but think carefully about the ramifications of any accent).

Different English regional and class accents have a huge effect on the way people see you, but they are less likely to if you are not white. As in if you are Nigerian with a Posh RP accent you won't get as much reverse class discrimination as if you look English.

ReputationRep:
    Ja. Zumindest die Bockwurst.

Though Oktoberfest... we should be famous for our beer, dammit, not our veggies! :fuhrer:
    But you are!
    Good old Paulaner...

ReputationRep:
    Weird. We tend to find the South american (texas) accent funny and the north one almost normal at my school.
    Same. People tend to take the piss out of the Texas accent, but like the North American one.

Now scottish... sexy.
    Haha, I like the Scottish accent too. Unfortunately mine's English. Though they seemed to love that when I went to Colorado!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 12, 2011
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.