Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone!

I am a self confessed yo-yo dieter and the worst for making excuses when it comes to losing weight. I've had a very unhealthy obsession with food for about 2 years now and this dieting and terrible mind set about eating has been going on for around the last 9 months.

I used to be a size 10 and weighed around 10 and a half stone. I now weigh 14 stone 2 lbs and I'm a size 14-16 on the top and around a 16-18 on the bottom.
    I'm 5'6.

In the last 2 years I started piling on the weight without realising it at all until I came across some old pictures and clothes. Since then I've been battling miserably and doing well for around 6 weeks but then completely losing any motivation at all (usually when out with friends or the boyfriend etc as my life recently seems to have revolved solely around food)and piling the weight back on.

I got so miserable a few months ago that I started looking on anorexia and bulimia websites and started using some ridiculously unhealthy ways of attempting to lose weight which inevitably ended badly.

After coming to my senses finally I've realised there are no short cuts and there's simply one way to lose this weight; the healthy way.

What tends to motivate me the most is seeing other success stories and hearing how others are doing, tips etc so I really want to find a weight loss buddy or perhaps we can make a little group on here where we can give each other tips, success stories and help each other through this!

I've done a lot of research about what I should be eating and how much exercise I should be doing etc but I still feel very unaware so it'd be great to actually have some ideas.

I'm looking to lose about 4 and a half stone (eventually) but have no idea when a good goal for that is. I really want to be a healthy weight before Uni starts in September though.

Any takers?

ReputationRep:
    Losing that much weight on a constant healthy eating routine and going to gym every day () should take around 7+ months, it all really depends on your lifestyle routine and if you are prepared to go gym almost every day..

Too bad you're in Devon

ReputationRep:
    I think a little group together would be a good idea. Always easier with people doing similar things to you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by j.laurence)
    Losing that much weight on a constant healthy eating routine and going to gym every day () should take around 7+ months, it all really depends on your lifestyle routine and if you are prepared to go gym almost every day..

Too bad you're in Devon
    I am prepared to go the gym almost every day yeah I'll be finished at College soon so it'll be a lot easier. I wanna start doing some other exercise, like a dance class or something but noone ever wants to come with me and I'm terrified I'd be completly unfit compared to everyone else.
    With a healthy lifestyle and gyming every day how much do you think I could lose by late September?
    And I know Devon's in the middle of nowhere

ReputationRep:
    :itsme: I'm in.

I'm currently coming to the end of a stressful placement (which has taken it's toll due to comfort eating and not having time/energy/generally being too depressed to go to the gym :getmecoat: )
    I want to get healthier and fitter and feel better in body and mind

ReputationRep:
    I'll join!
    I'm not losing weight on the same scale as you are but I am dieting & exercising at the moment to get back into my size 8/10s Fed up of being unhappy with the way I look!

ReputationRep:
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/guides/f...fat-loss/intro
    All you need to know and do. Follow it religiously and watch the lbs fall off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JupiterSunshine)
    :itsme: I'm in.

I'm currently coming to the end of a stressful placement (which has taken it's toll due to comfort eating and not having time/energy/generally being too depressed to go to the gym :getmecoat: )
    I want to get healthier and fitter and feel better in body and mind
    Exactly what I want to do! I want to be a fresh new confident person when I start Uni Are you just looking to eat healthier or lose weight?

(Original post by emilylikeeee)
    I'll join!
    I'm not losing weight on the same scale as you are but I am dieting & exercising at the moment to get back into my size 8/10s Fed up of being unhappy with the way I look!
    Yay Doesn't matter how much we're all trying to lose it's just so much easier having people to talk to about it along the way. What sort of exercising are you doing atm and how often?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jesseecar123)
    I am prepared to go the gym almost every day yeah I'll be finished at College soon so it'll be a lot easier. I wanna start doing some other exercise, like a dance class or something but noone ever wants to come with me and I'm terrified I'd be completly unfit compared to everyone else.
    With a healthy lifestyle and gyming every day how much do you think I could lose by late September?

Have you tried asking literally every one of your mates? I'm sure there are bound to be a few who wouldn't mind going to a exercise/dance class - seems fun tbh . I usually go gym with a mate regularly because it's good having someone there to joke about with aswell as working out.. Even if you can't find anyone to go with going alone is pretty decent aswell

I would say you could lose over a stone in 2 months like I did just by eating less/healthy eating and frequently working out but you have to stay motivated however hard it may seem.. If you keep at it then you really could achieve your target by September .

And i've never been to Devon only to Cornwall for surfing

ReputationRep:
    I'm in exactly the same situation - I hate showing off any more skin then I need to because I'm so concerned about my weight, but my lifestyle at the moment means I can't fit in any excersise etc, and healthy eating is usually balanced out my excess bad foods

I finish sixth form in about a month, so I figured thats the perfect time to start getting my healthy lifestyle back on track

I'm looking to loose the same sort of weight before I get to uni, my weight has increased so much in the last couple of years - I'm now a size 12/14 on top, and 14/16 on the bottom - it makes me feel so self-concious, especially as my best friends are sports freaks - it's really hard to excersise with them because they are just TOO good!

Anyway, I think like the little support group thing sounds great
    x

ReputationRep:

Yay Doesn't matter how much we're all trying to lose it's just so much easier having people to talk to about it along the way. What sort of exercising are you doing atm and how often?
    Okay so I've given up bread/roll based things for Lent. Got to say thats working a treat and even before exercising my waist was shrinking. I have replaced these in my diet with fruit, salad and vegetables....Sounds boring but I like these foods so its not too bad... Generally cut all the cake/fatty stuff out my diet (except wooopsy I work in a cake shop and might occasionally snack lol)... And then 4 days ago I started the Couch to 5k (C25K) program but have already gotten up to week 5 as the first few sessions were going to be too slow... Don't do any other exercise currently except 1.5 hours walking to school every day But I'm loving being back into running and want to keep it going.... So yeah thats my stats in a bomb shell :P

How about you?

ReputationRep:
    Devon is the best! what you on about!
    and i live in south devon too, near TQY

There is sooo much stuff out there on 'weight loss' but pretty much all of the advice is conflicting, so your right to ignore the yo yo diet stuff... eat a little less, exercise a little more.... and all that!
    I think your best bet is to use something like this
    http://weightloss.about.com/od/eatsm...lcalintake.htm
    Once you know how many calories you can eat to stay the same weight, you know how many calories you can consume per day and still lose weight I know it sounds pretty obvious, but i didn't know how to work out my basal metabolic rate, so didn't know how many cals i should be eating less than! Keep trying to rope in a friend to do something -me and 2 of my friends go on cycle rides, jogs, and play tennis at least once a day and it's a good encouragement! good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Exactly what I want to do! I want to be a fresh new confident person when I start Uni Are you just looking to eat healthier or lose weight?
    Both- I have so many clothes that I'm not comfortable in and would look so much better if I lost weight!

I don't have a definite amount of weight I want to lose. I have a dress and a skirt that are too small for me atm but that fitted me last summer so I'm going to go by them. I'm also not buying any new clothes until I lose weight!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by j.laurence)
    Have you tried asking literally every one of your mates? I'm sure there are bound to be a few who wouldn't mind going to a exercise/dance class - seems fun tbh . I usually go gym with a mate regularly because it's good having someone there to joke about with aswell as working out.. Even if you can't find anyone to go with going alone is pretty decent aswell

I would say you could lose over a stone in 2 months like I did just by eating less/healthy eating and frequently working out but you have to stay motivated however hard it may seem.. If you keep at it then you really could achieve your target by September .

And i've never been to Devon only to Cornwall for surfing

I wouldn't come to Devon to surf there's no waves at all haha.

And a stone would be nice I think when I start seeing it come off it'll motivate me more. Atm i just keep seeing all these success stories but I'm positive in my mind that for some reason it's just not possible for me lol.

One of my friends comes to things like that with me but she's only down once every few months. And I only really have one other girl mate who's about 8 stone and not interested lol. I think I might give it a go myself

(Original post by GeorgieGee)
    I'm in exactly the same situation - I hate showing off any more skin then I need to because I'm so concerned about my weight, but my lifestyle at the moment means I can't fit in any excersise etc, and healthy eating is usually balanced out my excess bad foods

I finish sixth form in about a month, so I figured thats the perfect time to start getting my healthy lifestyle back on track

I'm looking to loose the same sort of weight before I get to uni, my weight has increased so much in the last couple of years - I'm now a size 12/14 on top, and 14/16 on the bottom - it makes me feel so self-concious, especially as my best friends are sports freaks - it's really hard to excersise with them because they are just TOO good!

Anyway, I think like the little support group thing sounds great
    x
    Oh brilliant! It's good to see people of a similar size to me wanting to lose the same amount of weight because then we know what each other are going through a lot better. I find most of my skinny friends eat whatever they want and have no understanding of this rigorous dieting lol.

I have the same problem with College, before I was going to College at 9am, finishing at 4pm, starting work at 4.30pm and finishing at 8.30pm. And then all I want to do is eat haha. But now I should be finished soon so I'll have more time to do more active things.

(Original post by emilylikeeee)
    Okay so I've given up bread/roll based things for Lent. Got to say thats working a treat and even before exercising my waist was shrinking. I have replaced these in my diet with fruit, salad and vegetables....Sounds boring but I like these foods so its not too bad... Generally cut all the cake/fatty stuff out my diet (except wooopsy I work in a cake shop and might occasionally snack lol)... And then 4 days ago I started the Couch to 5k (C25K) program but have already gotten up to week 5 as the first few sessions were going to be too slow... Don't do any other exercise currently except 1.5 hours walking to school every day But I'm loving being back into running and want to keep it going.... So yeah thats my stats in a bomb shell :P

How about you?
    Well I've tried many many things, the maple syrup diet which lasted all of 10 hours haha. Weight watchers ( I felt really out of place there and didn't much like having to carry the book around everywhere, found it difficult to understand), just generally eating less and healthier which was going well for ages but I just don't really know what I should and shouldn't be eating that much tbh.

Well done you for cutting out bread type things, carbs are my enemy completely, they're what I struggle with the most. I eat pasta almost every day and had no idea how bad it was for dieting until a couple weeks ago.

(Original post by LilacTweet)
    Devon is the best! what you on about!
    and i live in south devon too, near TQY

There is sooo much stuff out there on 'weight loss' but pretty much all of the advice is conflicting, so your right to ignore the yo yo diet stuff... eat a little less, exercise a little more.... and all that!
    I think your best bet is to use something like this
    http://weightloss.about.com/od/eatsm...lcalintake.htm
    Once you know how many calories you can eat to stay the same weight, you know how many calories you can consume per day and still lose weight I know it sounds pretty obvious, but i didn't know how to work out my basal metabolic rate, so didn't know how many cals i should be eating less than! Keep trying to rope in a friend to do something -me and 2 of my friends go on cycle rides, jogs, and play tennis at least once a day and it's a good encouragement! good luck!
    I'll check it out! I was using caloriecounter before which was quite helpful but then found I'd eat if I hadn't eaten all of my 1500 cals a day or whatever it was. I bought a bike recently so I've been cycling quite a bit which is a lot easier now the weather is so nice But being me bought a bike from the 40's which is so difficult to ride haha. Probably better for me though :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JupiterSunshine)
    Both- I have so many clothes that I'm not comfortable in and would look so much better if I lost weight!

I don't have a definite amount of weight I want to lose. I have a dress and a skirt that are too small for me atm but that fitted me last summer so I'm going to go by them. I'm also not buying any new clothes until I lose weight!
    I think I'm gonna buy some new gorgeous clothes that are like size 10 - 12 as inspiration.

ReputationRep:
    I think I'm gonna buy some new gorgeous clothes that are like size 10 - 12 as inspiration.
    Don't do this! Or if you do only buy like one dress.

I'll join

Goal is to lose 2 stone. At 2-3lb a week should be like 10 weeks. aka summer.
    Starting Tuesday 19th April properly

ReputationRep:
    I'll join, I want to lose about 2 or 3 stone for the same reasons everyone else has said, i want to be more comfortable in myself when I get to uni. Problem is I am awful at keeping motivation up :/

ReputationRep:
    I'm in.. based in London..

Just looking to go down a jeans size and obtain a flatter stomach for now..and improve strength and CV in general.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.