Turn on thread page Beta

Is it a sin to masturbate? watch

ReputationRep:
    Yes it's a sin. Do it too much; you'll go blind

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Seriously..

I just started thinking about it just now and googled a bit, google seems to say yes, it is. I've been doing that since I was about 12, I'm now nearing 20 - and don't see anything wrong in it, but I'm also Catholic - and am now beginning to panic that I'm going straight to hell any thoughts?
    i m 22 and have been doing it since 13
    i weight less than 50kgs

yes it does make u weak

do u do it daily

have u never tried give it up

i m just curious

i ve tried so many times but useless.

it never ends

btw how much do u weigh

ReputationRep:
    y does everyone say that masturbations is GOOD for health when its not?
    i have been masturbating since i was 13. i'm nearly 23 now. i 've never had sex. i weight even less than 50kgs at this age. over the years i've tried so hard to give it up but i just can't. nobody knows about this. my parents always wonder y am i so weak. in the last seven yrs i've only been 2 my gp once for a full check up and they said i was fine. my fmily tells me 2 go 2 the doctor again. but i just can't fearing they'll find out. i don't know where its gonna take but i've wrecked my life. i can't even look women in the eye. if i ever find someone i can settle down with, i won't be able to please her. whenever i masturbate, i only last 10-20 seconds.masturbation is not perfectly normal

ReputationRep:
    Religion has a lot to answer for :banghead: :doh:

(Original post by 4592002)
    i m 22 and have been doing it since 13
    i weight less than 50kgs

yes it does make u weak

do u do it daily

have u never tried give it up

i m just curious

i ve tried so many times but useless.

it never ends

btw how much do u weigh
    It really doesn't, if you are that desperate to give up, go to your GP and tell him you're a sex addict?

i have been masturbating since i was 13. i'm nearly 23 now. i 've never had sex. i weight even less than 50kgs at this age. over the years i've tried so hard to give it up but i just can't. nobody knows about this. my parents always wonder y am i so weak. in the last seven yrs i've only been 2 my gp once for a full check up and they said i was fine. my fmily tells me 2 go 2 the doctor again. but i just can't fearing they'll find out. i don't know where its gonna take but i've wrecked my life. i can't even look women in the eye. if i ever find someone i can settle down with, i won't be able to please her. whenever i masturbate, i only last 10-20 seconds.masturbation is not perfectly normal
    See above, there's no reliable and reproducible evidence that shows regular masturbation causes the body to be lesss developed. It's much more likely that tyou and the above poster are suffering from malnutrition, don't forget that if you weren't masturbating then it would occur naturally every few weeks as a wet dream...

ReputationRep:
    Why is it even considered a sin in the first place?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ShayCamp)
    Why is it even considered a sin in the first place?
    18th post on this thread. That's genuinely the reason for it.

ReputationRep:
    Have fun in hell.

ReputationRep:
    I had the same telling off from my parents (I'm a Christian) but I've been scouring scripture for ages trying to find an answer to my question. The Bible says next to nothing at all about Female Masturbation. The only explicit story is Onan, the man who refused to lay with his brother's wife so they could have kids (God's orders)- "so he spilled his semen on the ground."
    There is no stating whether he was masturbating or not isn't made clear either, he could have just pulled out before ejaculation.
    What is made clearly forbidden, is illicit sexual fantasies. Big no no as they go against rejection of lsut and temptation. The act of masturbation itself is harmless. it's the thoughts that go with it which are rejected.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry that you feel that way, but everyone is different. Masturbation is normal by the way. It is commonly explored just never talked about, which is why it is made taboo. Certified fact people are doing it, not because they're weird, that would mean millions of weird people about. But becuase it's natural human exploration. Some people begin when they're 10, does that make all of those children weird and unacceptable?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Seriously..

I just started thinking about it just now and googled a bit, google seems to say yes, it is. I've been doing that since I was about 12, I'm now nearing 20 - and don't see anything wrong in it, but I'm also Catholic - and am now beginning to panic that I'm going straight to hell any thoughts?
    The Bible doesn't specifically comment on masturbation either way. there is an account with a man called Onan in Genesis and lots of people think it's about masturbation (Onanism is often a synonym) but that's actually about him 'spilling his seed' on the ground during intercourse so he doesn't provide offspring for his late brother's wife.

I think it's wrong to call it a sin, since the Bible does not say whether it is or it isn't. However there are a few reasons why it could be- masturbation is often clearly linked with adultery and lust and so therefore in those cases it's wrong. However with masturbation in and of itself, i.e. just doing it because it feels good or you need relief... the bible doesn't say. There are quite a few Christians who think masturbation can be a good alternative release for sexual frustration rather than sex outside of marriage, say- but that's purely speculation. Obviously if you become addicted or obsessed with masturbation then that could become idolatry (putting something in the place of God) then that's sin too.

However if you think you have sinned, don't despair. Sexual sin is no worse than any other sin and Jesus died to take the punishment for all our sin in our place- so if you have trusted in Jesus as the only way to escape hell and to be friends with God, then as long as you repent (turn back from sin and turn towards God) then your sin has been dealt with on the cross.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 1, 2011
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.