Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Was he right with the speech?

Personally i think he was,'in aspects'. Divisions were and still are rife in the aftermath of it. I mean we do have to admit that multiculturalism and cultural tensions could have been better managed.

what do you think? and i dont want no nonsense. Im bracing myself for being branded a racist, but then again, who knows...?

ReputationRep:
    The guy scares me, but tbf I do have a few irrational fears (Clowns, dead babies, Gok Wan)

ReputationRep:
    Enoch was right... about several things, but I don't think ethnicity and nationalism are areas where we share any common ground. It is perhaps true that having separate cultures cohabit within a country brings some problems, but nothing even remotely like what Powell suggested has happened in Britain. Indeed, there are plenty of second and third generation immigrants now who have very much entered the cultural mainstream of British society.

Still, he was a terribly clever fellow and an excellent orator. It is wrong to cast him as some sort of racist monster when, in fact, he was a very moral man - since it's been in the news recently, we should perhaps recall his passionate speech in 1959 on the humane treatment of Mau Mau prisoners in Kenya.

ReputationRep:
    I guess he was right in some regards, but he blew it out of proportion talking about "rivers of blood"

ReputationRep:
    there will always be differences between cultures and races, but these differences should be celebrated, not turned into hatred such as terrorism and islamphobia, personally I believe it is however impossible for religions and cultures to live in harmony alongside eachother as there will always be individuals who fear or have dislike of the other, which is terribly saddening.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charcharchar)
    there will always be differences between cultures and races, but these differences should be celebrated, not turned into hatred such as terrorism and islamphobia, personally I believe it is however impossible for religions and cultures to live in harmony alongside eachother as there will always be individuals who fear or have dislike of the other, which is terribly saddening.
    well for some people it is hard to celebrate the differences. i mean i was in whitechapel in east london last week, where cockney was born. its completely asian now. i dont mind the race aspect that much but its the culture thing that really gets me.
    cockney has been thrown to the wayside as if its some sort of rubbish, the cockney culture barely exists in east london now.

things like that are what really bovver people

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charcharchar)
    This. There will always be banter. Like Welsh & English Integrated but no way are they the same!

ReputationRep:
    The 'rivers of blood' stuff was just overhype. People might spout off non PC views and letters to the Daily Mail but they aren't going to start civil war just because of immigration.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by y gorau)
    I guess he was right in some regards, but he blew it out of proportion talking about "rivers of blood"
    Not really. It's amazing how quickly people forget things like the attacks on London by extremists, it really is.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.