Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Organ)
    ..but there's no justification behind this! best for getting in debt perhaps

there's no way you can claim ucl is better than say newcastle, or leeds, or dundee
    Well in general it outranks by far and even on medicine league tables on guardian and the complete university guide... Plus its got UCH built in and its down the road and i have been inside they seem to have everything and if you need more books you got the british library

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amir shah)
    the top ones are probably Imperial, Oxbridge, UCL, Kings, Durham, Barts etc.

Tbh, medicine is medicine where ever you do it. There only about 40 medical schools in the uk, anyway. And it depends on what kind of person you are and the course being offered. for example - the Oxbridge course is quite outdated, using traditional methods of teaching, wheras newer medical schools use problem based learning

do you want to do medicine?
    Completely wrong
    Very debateable

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iqbal007)
    Well in general it outranks by far and even on medicine league tables on guardian and the complete university guide... Plus its got UCH built in and its down the road and i have been inside they seem to have everything and if you need more books you got the british library
    DO NOT MENTION LEAGUE TABLES ON THIS SUBFORUM

People will kill you. Or neg you massively.

And there's a good reason for that, because they are largely unreliable for medicine, aside from Oxbridge and Imperial.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Straight up G)
    Completely wrong
    Very debateable
    ok, ok. I'm not going to get involved.

ReputationRep:
    :indiff:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by icis)
    Why's every saying Bath? What's so good about it or are you being sarcy?
    It'st just an incredible medical school
    Everything you'd ever want from a medical school.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gozatron)
    Well, only the elite get in. Have you seen the minimum entry requirements? A*A*A*C with Step II,III at grades 1,S respectively. Its crazy but worth it. I mean graduates have the opportunity to bypass the first year of foundation training because the course is so intense.
    they become consultant SE (special editions) straight out of medical school!

plus, as a student at bath you get your own nurse and secretary

ReputationRep:
    league tables are cack

every medical school has a hospital

the book point is just ridiculous

ReputationRep:
    go Imperial!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Organ)

Not to mention the supermodel lecturers and complementary practical sex education lessons from katy perry.

I'm suprised we even accepted offers from medical schools, i'm going to ring mine up and ask to be released. Gap year and then reapply to Bath.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Organ)

:rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gozatron)
    Not to mention the supermodel lecturers and complementary practical sex education lessons from katy perry.

I'm suprised we even accepted offers from medical schools, i'm going to ring mine up and ask to be released. Gap year and then reapply to Bath.
    perhaps, but I heard you have to play first team rugger for england - or be a smoking hot female - I don't play rugger for england, and I'm male

i'm a big miserable failure

ReputationRep:
    To the guy who was actually interested, they are joking, Bath doesn't have a medical school...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eddhann)
    To the guy who was actually interested, they are joking, Bath doesn't have a medical school...
    You sound like a Bath med school reject in denial, don't listen to him OP.

ReputationRep:
    :no:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    to the guy who was actually interested, they are joking, bath doesn't have a medical school...
    HERESY!

ReputationRep:
    ok, ok. I'm not going to get involved.
    Haha, I'll correct you.

There are 32 Med Schools in the UK, 24 in England. 30 of these offer undergraduate medicine.

The Oxbridge course is traditional, not outdated. I believe even they use lesser forms of PBL (occasionally, so I've been told), but of course mainly it is lecture based with tutorials to support your learning.

Peninsula and Hull York, two of the newer Med Schools do use PBL. However, other new ones like Durham, Brighton don't use it at all. Similarly, Manchester and Liverpool, both 100+ years old use PBL heavily. PBL has only a small correlation with age of medical school (you could say newer ones are more likely to use PBL than older ones, but it hardly makes a difference).

As you'll find in this forum, it's very hard to choose a 'best medical school'. Obviously Oxbridge is highly rated, but many people are put off by UCL and Imperial because of London living costs. Kings isn't rated as highly as those two by most, and Barts/Durham don't come into the equation personally, but it's all subjective (though few people would disagree with Oxbridge and Imperial and perhaps UCL offering a very very good education).

ReputationRep:
    you're lying. You're just sour that you got rejected from BMS, don't worry, it's so rejected that the BMJ have called it BMS Rejection Syndrome (it's an advanced version of denial and depression mixed, it threatens to devour the prospective and rejected med school populations).

ReputationRep:
    Oops.

London is cool expensive. and the Oxbridge course is outdated and 'traditional'.
    Come back once you know what you're talking about.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Straight up G)
    (though few people would disagree with Oxbridge and Imperial and perhaps UCL offering a very very good education).
    I would.

What if I absolutely hated lectures?

Stop making dumb comments.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 12, 2011
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.