Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can You Be Houseproud and have a Cat? watch

ReputationRep:
    My parents are very houseproud and we live in a very well kept home, obviously. As I said in the other thread we are considering getting a Siberian Cat due to my mum's allergies.
    Apparently Siberian cats are less likely to take their claws to furniture, can anyone clarify this further?

So really I suppose what I'm asking is if you can own a cat and still be very houseproud?

ReputationRep:
    If you're willing to put in the required effort and maintain it then definitely. Things like:

- Regularly scooping out soiled cat litter and changing the litter daily. The actual tray should be washed with hot soapy water every few days. Cats are very fussy when it comes to going to the toilet... Let's just say they'll be making a mess if the tray is poorly maintained.

- Regularly clean the cats food bowls and be sure to clear up any bits of food that your cat has dropped or knocked out of the bowl.

- Teach the cat not to climb on certain things. I don't know exactly how houseproud you and your parents are but there's certain areas in our house (the ones my mum cares about ) which my cat just knows not to climb on. For example if I drop her on my bed she'll make herself at home, if I drop her on my mums bed she's off it before you can blink. Personally I let her sleep with me on my bed and I don't mind it but you should invest in a nice comfy bed for your cat to sleep in.

- Keep an eye on your cat when outside. They like to munch on grass which they can't digest causing them to vomit. I usually have a bit of scrap paper or an old newspaper on hand when she does this ¬_¬

Overall cats are very proud & clean animals anyway (you'll see by how much time and effort they spend grooming) and require little maintenance to be honest so go for it

Don't be too mean with a Siberian though... They appear to be quite a social and loving breed (described as almost dog like!). Really beautiful too... Sort of look like Maine Coon's.

Aww, I want one now. The fur around their necks is awesome :cute:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thisisnew)
    If you're willing to put in the required effort and maintain it then definitely. Things like:

- Regularly scooping out soiled cat litter and changing the litter daily. The actual tray should be washed with hot soapy water every few days. Cats are very fussy when it comes to going to the toilet... Let's just say they'll be making a mess if the tray is poorly maintained.

- Regularly clean the cats food bowls and be sure to clear up any bits of food that your cat has dropped or knocked out of the bowl.

- Teach the cat not to climb on certain things. I don't know exactly how houseproud you and your parents are but there's certain areas in our house (the ones my mum cares about ) which my cat just knows not to climb on. For example if I drop her on my bed she'll make herself at home, if I drop her on my mums bed she's off it before you can blink. Personally I let her sleep with me on my bed and I don't mind it but you should invest in a nice comfy bed for your cat to sleep in.

- Keep an eye on your cat when outside. They like to munch on grass which they can't digest causing them to vomit. I usually have a bit of scrap paper or an old newspaper on hand when she does this ¬_¬

Overall cats are very proud & clean animals anyway (you'll see by how much time and effort they spend grooming) and require little maintenance to be honest so go for it

Don't be too mean with a Siberian though... They appear to be quite a social and loving breed (described as almost dog like!). Really beautiful too... Sort of look like Maine Coon's.

Aww, I want one now. The fur around their necks is awesome :cute:

Thanks for the reply, it was very helpful

Is there a certain type of litter and/or tray you'd recommend? My parents are concerned that she may end up stepping in her 'eliminations' and end up spreading them around the house... To be quite graphic I suppose... Is that a likely problem?

How did you go about teaching your cat not to jump up on certain surfaces? I've heard a few different techniques: spraying with a water mister, aluminimum foil on countertops etc.

Yeah they really do look and sound like lions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LonelySoul193)

Is there a certain type of litter and/or tray you'd recommend? My parents are concerned that she may end up stepping in her 'eliminations' and end up spreading them around the house... To be quite graphic I suppose... Is that a likely problem?

How did you go about teaching your cat not to jump up on certain surfaces? I've heard a few different techniques: spraying with a water mister, aluminimum foil on countertops etc.

Given the size of Siberians you're going to want quite a large tray, Probably best to find a decent pet store which stocks different sizes. My cat is very petite and still makes a mess of a standard ASDA Bob Martin tray. I wouldn't worry about your cat dragging excrement everywhere as grooming is very, very important to them. If the tray is full to the extent where your cat will probably stand in her droppings then she (or he) most likely won't use it in the first place.

Personally we just told her to get down in a stern voice whilst gesturing. She eventually got the hang of it, don't think she would have appreciated us squirting her :P

It's hard work at first... I just hope your parents stick it out and perhaps accept that they're going to take a little hit in the house proud department because having a cat, let alone a beautiful breed such as a Siberian, is such a rewarding thing. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    @thisisnew - Nice video for Siberian cats.

ReputationRep:

Always get clumping litter! Makes it easier to clean out the tray and limits them being able to carry it on their feet We have a scratching post for the cats and theyve never scratched anything but that, oh and us of course XD and theyre house cats too biggest downfall for us is the hair, but being they are british short hairs, we expected it, just not that much! :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    If you;re worried about a litter tray just get the cat to go outside, its pretty easy to train them, and if you're going to get one soon this is the ideal time of year to start teaching them cos they wont wanna go outside when its cold. By the time it gets to winter this year, they should be going outside by themselves anyway.

Also its easy to stop them going in certain places, scratching the furniture etc

ReputationRep:
    Cats are amazing to have as a pet! they really can look after themselves when they feel like it. I have a maine coon and a normal boring tabby lol and in terms of 'wildness' and so on I've had more problems with the tabby! but one thing that does really bug me is cat hair. It can get everywhere

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lexi99)
    If you;re worried about a litter tray just get the cat to go outside, its pretty easy to train them, and if you're going to get one soon this is the ideal time of year to start teaching them cos they wont wanna go outside when its cold. By the time it gets to winter this year, they should be going outside by themselves anyway.

Also its easy to stop them going in certain places, scratching the furniture etc
    Problem is that we'd be keeping her as an indoor cat because of how expensive Siberians are and the general breeder recommendation to keep them inside.

ReputationRep:
    Of course you can. My grandmother is very houseproud and has a cat.

ReputationRep:
    Its the cats siliva that is the problem with allergies and not the fur. Im very house proud and I have three cats stick in sects, snails.

ReputationRep:

I use World's Best Extra Strength Clumping litter, and keep their trays (both hooded with 'cat flap' entrances) in the bathroom where the floorin is vinyl instead of carpet with a mat for them to step out onto on the way out. Most of the litter ends up on the mat, and the few bits that get on the vinyl are easy to sweep up. I did just have an open tray at one point and that was /much/ messier so I switched to two hooded trays. (Only problem is when they've been jumping in the bath/shower with me and then get in the tray so end up with 'sandy' feet!)

Also, cat poop should be solid. As long as kitty isn't having any bowel issues (or isn't quite litter trained properly) then you really don't need to worry about it ended up anywhere it shouldn't. (Incidently if it does then 'Urine Off' is absolutely fabulous for cleaning up kitty pee, poop and vomit.)

My kittens aren't supposed to go on the dining table, so I pick them up and put them on the floor when they jump up, but it isn't really working. I haven't tried any other techniques to keep them off though 'cause I'm not really that worried... They use their scratch posts and cat trees instead of clawing my furniture, and I can deal with vacuuming the hairs off the couch (not least because my own hair gets everywhere!!!).

My two are housecat Bengals, btw.

ReputationRep:
    I love cats. Best little things ever :emog:

I miss my little tabby cat Jess, she's at home whilst I'm here at univ

ReputationRep:
    I'm having slight issues with my kitten scratching the s*** out of my faux leather breakfast bar chairs. I don't think she means to, the marks are mainly round the edge, as they are quite high I think she struggles to jump up on them and has to clamber up. She never does this when we're around (we have sprayed her once or twice when she did it, she looked so sad i don't like to!) soI think she knows not to, but there are scratches nonetheless. She does have a scratching post and I've never seen her scratch any furniture deliberately.

We just keep her in the kitchen/dining room area mainly, where there are no sofas, and a tile floor so no carpet. We haven't had any "accidents" though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by modgepodge)
    I'm having slight issues with my kitten scratching the s*** out of my faux leather breakfast bar chairs. I don't think she means to, the marks are mainly round the edge, as they are quite high I think she struggles to jump up on them and has to clamber up. She never does this when we're around (we have sprayed her once or twice when she did it, she looked so sad i don't like to!) soI think she knows not to, but there are scratches nonetheless. She does have a scratching post and I've never seen her scratch any furniture deliberately.

We just keep her in the kitchen/dining room area mainly, where there are no sofas, and a tile floor so no carpet. We haven't had any "accidents" though.
    Put something nex to the chairs to help her jump up? I have a cardboard box that's sealed up but with a hole cut in the front that I leave next to my chest of drawers so that the kittens can jump up onto them and look out the window, or go hide/play inside if they want too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lib)
    Put something nex to the chairs to help her jump up? I have a cardboard box that's sealed up but with a hole cut in the front that I leave next to my chest of drawers so that the kittens can jump up onto them and look out the window, or go hide/play inside if they want too.
    Well I don't really want her on them at all! And she clearly knows that cos she never tries when we're in the room.

When we first got her we'd literally just moved in and there were boxes everywhere. kitty heaven.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 29, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.