Turn on thread page Beta

'Reverse' discrimination. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else notice one of the increasingly discriminated groups nowadays (Im not saying the most..) are young, straight, white males? The old can always cry ageism, the homosexuals; homophobia, the minorities; racism and the women; sexism, with the full backing of the law behind them. All the while affirmative action programs, divorce laws and the media continually reinforce this idea that the above group are 'ok' to discriminate against and laugh at with no repercussions.

It's quite obvious there's some 'reverse' racism and discrimination nowadays, but if anyone even mentions it its often met with a barrage of opposition from the likes of 'feminist' groups or a dismissive snigger.

EDIT: I should clarify, before people start making assumptions, im mixed race of East Asian/South East Asian/British descent not white.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Invidious-)
    Anyone else notice one of the increasingly discriminated groups nowadays (Im not saying the most..) are young, straight, white males? The old can always cry ageism, the homosexuals; homophobia, the minorities; racism and the women; sexism, with the full backing of the law behind them. All the while affirmative action programs, divorce laws and the media continually reinforce this idea that the above group are 'ok' to discriminate against and laugh at with no repercussions.

It's quite obvious there's some 'reverse' racism and discrimination nowadays, but if anyone even mentions it its often met with a barrage of opposition from the likes of 'feminist' groups or a dismissive snigger.
    Anyone else notice that it is always the racist, ignorant people who complain about anti-white discrimination.

"Affirmative Action" is illegal in the UK as is any form of institutionalised "reverse-discrimination" (which is still discrimination btw).

When white people are refused entry to bars, forced to sit at the back of the bus, unable to apply for the best jobs or have racial epithets screeched at them in broad daylight on the high street, then you may have a point.

Until then, go join the EDL with the rest of the people who think like you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HistoryRepeating)
    Anyone else notice that it is always the racist, ignorant people who complain about anti-white discrimination.

Go join the KKK or the EDL.
    lol why? Im not just talking about anti-white discrimination, even then, affirmative action programs are a farce.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah. It's ridiculous. Product of an over liberal "oh-so-tolerant" society.

ReputationRep:

Go join the KKK or the EDL.
    Policies like Affirmative Action discriminate against white people, that's a fact.

ReputationRep:
    There's no such thing as reverse discrimination. It's just discrimination.

'Affermative action' is disgusting. It doesn't level the playing field at all, infact it just reinforces prejudice, because you can honestly say that a person only got a job because they were black/female/gay or whatever.

It's a practice that needs to stop.

ReputationRep:
    Name 5 specific examples.

ReputationRep:
    I don't feel this way.. at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steevee)

'Affermative action' is disgusting. It doesn't level the playing field at all, infact it just reinforces prejudice, because you can honestly say that a person only got a job because they were black/female/gay or whatever.

I did a second year Law essay on this regarding the case of Bakke and easily came to the conclusion that affirmative action programs benefit no one except the individual. And even then it is usually just short term advantages.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TKC)
    Name 5 specific examples.
    I'm not going to name 5 but some I have come across recently are in regards to getting work experience in some of the big investment banks.

There's a number of placement schemes for women and for people of ethnic minorities but there is nothing available for white males...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Competencies)
    I'm not going to name 5 but some I have come across recently are in regards to getting work experience in some of the big investment banks.

There's a number of placement schemes for women and for people of ethnic minorities but there is nothing available for white males...
    oh like SEO, right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Grim_the_Reaper)
    Policies like Affirmative Action discriminate against white people, that's a fact.
    Affirmative Action is illegal in the UK, that's a fact.

ReputationRep:
    Few points.

Anyone else notice one of the increasingly discriminated groups nowadays (Im not saying the most..) are young, straight, white males? The old can always cry ageism, the homosexuals; homophobia, the minorities; racism and the women; sexism, with the full backing of the law behind them.
    Firstly it's important to note that the incidence of positive discrimination is often overstated. No employers are forced to positively discriminate, at the very least not in the private sector, and a lot of minorities that people assume benefit from it actually don't, for example the average wage of a gay/lesbian person is higher than that of the general populace, so they aren't statistically disadvantaged in terms of employment or earnings so aren't likely to be favoured in positive discrimination systems.

All the while affirmative action programs, divorce laws and the media continually reinforce this idea that the above group are 'ok' to discriminate against and laugh at with no repercussions.
    If anything I'd say that the media are actually vehemently against positive discrimination. You'll be lucky to find any newspaper other than the Mirror and the Guardian that presents it in a good light.

I'm not necessarily for positive discrimination. I'm not unequivocally against it either, I think each case needs to be looked at individually, however there are a lot of myths surrounding it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steevee)

The existance of affirmative action in the UK is something made up by the daily mail and various racist groups.

Any form of discrimination, with one or two very specific exceptions (all-women candidate shortlists are allowed in elections to attempt to address democratic underrepresentation) on grounds of race or gender is illegal in the UK.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Competencies)

Links or evidence.

ReputationRep:

"Affirmative Action" is illegal in the UK as is any form of institutionalised "reverse-discrimination" (which is still discrimination btw).

When white people are refused entry to bars, forced to sit at the back of the bus, unable to apply for the best jobs or have racial epithets screeched at them in broad daylight on the high street, then you may have a point.

Until then, go join the EDL with the rest of the people who think like you.
    Im not sure if that occurs anymore and regarding the racial epithets, that usually goes both ways. Two wrongs don't make a right, just because black people in the past may have had it hard it doesn't excuse positive discrimination and this general dismissive attitude towards the white/straight/young/white male population. Equality is needed not just in terms of race but of the sexes as well, and while the UK effectively bans affirmative action programs on paper. You've got to look at other western countries such as the US and Canada which carry on the practice.

ReputationRep:
    I think you should do something better with your time rather than whining, you're just as bad as everyone else who claims "discrimination!" every time someone says something you don't like, as though it has something to do with your gender or ethnicity when it has absolutely nothing to do with it at all.

Whatever happened to simply being perfect for the job in terms of skills and personality? Race or gender shouldn't come into it.

ReputationRep:
    Im not sure if that occurs anymore and regarding the racial epithets, that usually goes both ways. Two wrongs don't make a right, just because black people in the past may have had it hard it doesn't excuse positive discrimination and this general dismissive attitude towards the white/straight/young/white male population. Equality is needed not just in terms of race but of the sexes as well, and while the UK effectively bans affirmative action programs on paper. You've got to look at other western countries such as the US and Canada which carry on the practice.

Make up your mind, are you talking about the UK or not? Do your comments, in the OP, apply to the UK?

I am white/straight/young/white male and I haven't ever experienced any discrimination against me, quite the opposite.

PS:

USA
    A study conducted at the University of Chicago in 2003 found that people with "black-sounding" names such as Lakisha and Jamal are 50 percent less likely to be interviewed for a job compared to people with "white-sounding" names such as Emily or Greg.

ReputationRep:
    The existance of affirmative action in the UK is something made up by the daily mail and various racist groups.

Any form of discrimination, with one or two very specific exceptions (all-women candidate shortlists are allowed in elections to attempt to address democratic underrepresentation) on grounds of race or gender is illegal in the UK.
    Only when it is overt. It is no secret many companbies have 'quotas' to fill to fufill their ethnic diversity policies and so on.

Equally, there are a great many instances where being of a certain group of people effectivley exempts you from certain things. And you only have to flick on the news to see instances of 'Affermative Action', or at least inaction against minority groups.

ReputationRep:
    Make up your mind, are you talking about the UK or not? Do your comments, in the OP, apply to the UK?

I am white/straight/young/white male and I haven't ever experienced any discrimination against me, quite the opposite.

PS:

USA
    I meant the Western world in general, places where white males reside and are generally the majority. And yes you may not have experience any discrimination towards you but im not saying its discrimination on a massive scale (just something people tend to overlook).

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.