Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steevee)
    Only when it is overt. It is no secret many companbies have 'quotas' to fill to fufill their ethnic diversity policies and so on.

Equally, there are a great many instances where being of a certain group of people effectivley exempts you from certain things. And you only have to flick on the news to see instances of 'Affermative Action', or at least inaction against minority groups.
    evidence for any of these claims other than "common knowledge" and tabloids?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Invidious-)
    I meant the Western world in general, places where white males reside and are generally the majority. And yes you may not have experience any discrimination towards you but im not saying its discrimination on a massive scale (just something people tend to overlook).
    We overlook it because it is inconsequential, extremely limited and causes very little hardship if any.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Competencies)
    ...work experience in some of the big investment banks.
    Yeah, I've seen that sort of thing and don't doubt it exists. It justs makes me laugh when the only example people can usually think of is "well if I wanted to work in a chinese take away, I wouldn't be able to because I'm white".

But apparently anti-white male discrimination is everywhere. Where specifically? Everywhere!

Not discriminating against minorities is not the same thing as discriminating against the majority. Unfortunately it might lead to it through over-zealous compliance, and I think mainly because a quota is easier for a firm to deal with than more legitimate means.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HistoryRepeating)
    evidence for any of these claims other than "common knowledge" and tabloids?
    From the mouth of a hgih ranking member of a large bank, specifically assigned to recruitment and recruitment strategies, and from his mouth also that it is common practice. Aswell as keeping adverts ethnically diverse and so on.

ReputationRep:
    young, straight, white males
    Absoloute rubbish.

This may happen in a minority of cases, as it cannot be avoided because of human nature, but on the whole it is white heterosexual males who consistently are more able and have more opportunities to get the best jobs, with the best pay because of their discrimination.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else notice one of the increasingly discriminated groups nowadays (Im not saying the most..) are young, straight, white males? The old can always cry ageism, the homosexuals; homophobia, the minorities; racism and the women; sexism, with the full backing of the law behind them. All the while affirmative action programs, divorce laws and the media continually reinforce this idea that the above group are 'ok' to discriminate against and laugh at with no repercussions.

It's quite obvious there's some 'reverse' racism and discrimination nowadays, but if anyone even mentions it its often met with a barrage of opposition from the likes of 'feminist' groups or a dismissive snigger.

EDIT: I should clarify, before people start making assumptions, im mixed race of East Asian/South East Asian/British descent not white.

LMAO, I think I speak for 90% of TSR when I say: OP is blatantly white, but pretending to be a minority so his views don't come across as racist...how original/clever...never seen that on TSR before :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    So what if he is white?

Nothing he said was racist but unfortunately in this bull**** politically correct society that we live in it is deemed as being offensive.
    Well why state your not white when you are? :rolleyes:

Your views kind of lose credibility when you lie.

ReputationRep:
    So what if he is white?

Nothing he said was racist but unfortunately in this bull**** politically correct society that we live in it is deemed as being offensive.
    Yes, yes it is. And you can deem the finding it offensive offensive and then they can find you finding it offence offensive offensive. Calling out societal structures and norms don't do much unless you aim to change them somehow. C'est la vie.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fusilero)
    Yes, yes it is. And you can deem the finding it offensive offensive and then they can find you finding it offence offensive offensive. Calling out societal structures and norms don't do much unless you aim to change them somehow. C'est la vie.
    Haha that genuinly made me LOL!

Very good sir.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HistoryRepeating)
    The existance of affirmative action in the UK is something made up by the daily mail and various racist groups.

Any form of discrimination, with one or two very specific exceptions (all-women candidate shortlists are allowed in elections to attempt to address democratic underrepresentation) on grounds of race or gender is illegal in the UK.
    So, the action about Catholic members in the PSNI isn't affirmative action? Please, catch yourself on. What about Harman's call for the parliament to be 50% female? Obviously the latter didn't happen, but it could've done.

ReputationRep:
    Morgan Stanley - I would love to attend some of those events, why should it matter that I'm male?

Deutsche Bank - Another scheme I would've loved to be able to attend.

Merril Lynch did run a programme for people from 'socially or economically disadvanataged communities' although I'm not sure if that still runs.

As a white male, bar one scheme ran by J.P. Morgan, my only way of getting and experience is through contacts and unfortunately, I don't have any.
    Those are targeted at women because they are traditionally underrepresented in investment banking and women can sometimes be deterred from applying because banks can sometimes be seen as female unfriendly environments. These schemes are away for these firms to get access to a pool of talent they otherwise wouldnt access as much. Firms choose to do these sort of things because it benefits them, not because anyone forces them to.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's disgusting. Discrimination is wrong. Arbitrarily changing which groups are discriminated against doesn't somehow change the fact that it's wrong.
    This topic makes me rage. **** discrimination.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else notice one of the increasingly discriminated groups nowadays (Im not saying the most..) are young, straight, white males? The old can always cry ageism, the homosexuals; homophobia, the minorities; racism and the women; sexism, with the full backing of the law behind them. All the while affirmative action programs, divorce laws and the media continually reinforce this idea that the above group are 'ok' to discriminate against and laugh at with no repercussions.

It's quite obvious there's some 'reverse' racism and discrimination nowadays, but if anyone even mentions it its often met with a barrage of opposition from the likes of 'feminist' groups or a dismissive snigger.

EDIT: I should clarify, before people start making assumptions, im mixed race of East Asian/South East Asian/British descent not white.
    I kinda agree. Particularly in the case of sexism. You hear adverts and TV 'personalities' saying things like "Men can't do this, men are rubbish at that" and no one bats an eyelid, but as soon as a man says the equivalent about a woman, he gets fired from his job.

ReputationRep:
    Honey, baby... When it stops being that the majority of straight, white males make jokes about gay people, women being only for sex, cooking and cleaning and racial stereotypes then these men can think about whether they are being discriminated against. Because all I see is that apparently as a gay woman, I'm just there for their amusement and that I can't do anything. And when I complain I'm moaned at because 'I have no sense of humour'. I'm sorry. I won't sit and listen to MY FRIENDS make me feel like ****...

ReputationRep:
    The white, straight male created racism, sexism and homophobia...historically you guys defined what the word opression meant..and now you want to start complaining because you can't get a job at your local chinese?

Get real son.

ReputationRep:
    Erm...last time I checked, there wasn't a real racial slur to use against White people. Compared to the numerous ones used against Non-White people.

The fact that I've heard those racial slurs used on the streets of Britain, seem to suggest that Non-Whites have it a little harder than Whites.

Therefore stop complaining, when you have nothing to complain about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Make it so.)
    Erm...last time I checked, there wasn't a racial slur to use against White people. Compared to the numerous ones used against Non-White people.

The fact that I've heard those racial slurs used on the streets of Britain, seem to suggest that Non-Whites have it a little harder than Whites.

Therefore stop complaining, when you have nothing to complain about.

expect for the fact that the majority of racist violence is committed against white people......

timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article633759.ece?token=null&off set=12&page=2

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by freakingout!)
    The white, straight male created racism, sexism and homophobia...historically you guys defined what the word opression meant..and now you want to start complaining because you can't get a job at your local chinese?

Get real son.

is this a joke?

white people invented sexism? homophobia? racism?

explain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by freakingout!)
    LMAO, I think I speak for 90% of TSR when I say: OP is blatantly white, but pretending to be a minority so his views don't come across as racist...how original/clever...never seen that on TSR before :rolleyes:
    If you have a look at a post I made earlier (3 days ago?) you'll find out my mum is of a different race, if you're really that interested.

ReputationRep:
    I don't particularly care if people make insult or make fun of straight, white, males. They can talk all the s**t they like.

Their jealously and anger does not affect me in the least.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.