Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    In close reading I typically get around 35/50 (based on prelims), this is purely using common sense as are teaching (or rather lack of it) on the subject has not been very useful (two half hour lessons on it in the year so far, both of which were incredibly vague) so other than the odd glance at marking schemes, I am unsure on the basics such as how to structure answers and how to approach the double passage question. Anybody who has sat this exam and got a better result than I currently am who is willing to offer suggestions would be of much use to myself and undoubtedly many other members of this forum.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (I'm sitting it this year aswell btw )

Close reading is just one of those things that use common sense and you either get or don't, I guess. What could help is that you should learn the different types of questions and what they are asking you for (word choice/imagery/sentence structure). Also always look closely at how many marks they are allocating, so you know how many points to make, but be sure to explain how a technique has an effect and what the effect is, rather than just stating the technique.

35 marks+ seems about reasonable for an A/B candidate. What grade are you aiming for?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, yes I am aiming for an A, but I would not be disappointed with a B. 35/50 (70%) is by no means a bad grade, but due to my teacher (don't get me started on a massive rant on how incompetent they are) I have had to learn basically all the pieces I intend to write about by outside school. I am likely to go into the exam with strong poetry which can match at least one question in the past papers I have seen, with the exception of 1 or 2, and a prose non-fiction which can match a lot of questions and a fairly weak play as a backup. It is likely that I will only be able to write one good essay, therefore it is imperative I get a good close reading grade. To give you an idea of what I mean I got a B in my close reading a band 1 A in a poetry piece and a no award in the second essay giving me an overall B. It is likely that this situation could repeat itself so immproving close reading seems like an obvious way to boost my grade.

ReputationRep:
    Im in the same situation is you - my teacher hasn't taught us anything about close reading amd im only confident with one of my texts. Last week i bought the leckie and leckie practice papers for english and they are so helpful. They have 4 practice exams in them aswell as in depth answers for each question along with tips and hints for the exams, its really helped me a lot in understanding how to answer different types of question. I also have use how to pass higher english to revise from which is good too.

I'm sure if you practice your close reading, study your other texts in more depth, and if you have a good folio you will do well overall and probably get an A.

Also on the sqa website they have a new estimate calculator for your overall grade which takes your folio into account http://www.sqa.org.uk/sqa/46172.html
    Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Have you guys had to folios then? It's a new requirement from the SQA, and personal studies have been thrown out the window
    (I did my mines in 4th year and now it's useless :mad:)

I think you just need to know your novels/plays inside out and memorise any poems for the critical essays. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    I'm glad I'm not the only one with a useless English departmet. We have had two years studying higher english. I have sat every NAB twice, even though I passed every one first time around, and in the two years we have only studied a novel and poetry. No plays or films!! This gives us virtually no choice in the exam!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beth..)
    Im in the same situation is you - my teacher hasn't taught us anything about close reading amd im only confident with one of my texts. Last week i bought the leckie and leckie practice papers for english and they are so helpful. They have 4 practice exams in them aswell as in depth answers for each question along with tips and hints for the exams, its really helped me a lot in understanding how to answer different types of question. I also have use how to pass higher english to revise from which is good too.

I'm sure if you practice your close reading, study your other texts in more depth, and if you have a good folio you will do well overall and probably get an A.

Also on the sqa website they have a new estimate calculator for your overall grade which takes your folio into account http://www.sqa.org.uk/sqa/46172.html
    Good luck
    Ah!! That calculator... I keep trying to boost my confidence, it doesn't help I have no idea how harsh they will be with my folio.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by burial)
    Ah!! That calculator... I keep trying to boost my confidence, it doesn't help I have no idea how harsh they will be with my folio.
    Ye i know im wondering if they'll be really harsh this year with it being the first year of folios and all, but the way things are going for me il be getting 21/50 as i've not even finished my story yet and ours are getting sent away next Friday

ReputationRep:
    Ye i know im wondering if they'll be really harsh this year with it being the first year of folios and all, but the way things are going for me il be getting 21/50 as i've not even finished my story yet and ours are getting sent away next Friday
    I highly doubt they would be harsh. More likely to be lenient when the teachers/pupils don't yet have a clear idea of what to do. Plus the appeals will be much easier this year For the same reason.

ReputationRep:
    I've no idea, my creative piece I felt was probably the best story I've written. My discursive piece on the other hand I am quite unsure of... I want at least 32ish for my folio combined.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by burial)
    I've no idea, my creative piece I felt was probably the best story I've written. My discursive piece on the other hand I am quite unsure of... I want at least 32ish for my folio combined.
    All you need to know below...

(Original post by laughylolly)
    I've posted this quite a few times before... I find it really helps.

Close Reading Tactics:

Understanding Questions -
    (1) Use your own words wherever possible
    (2) Answer is in the passage
    (3) Don't forget the obvious answers
    (4) WHAT the writer is saying

Analysis Questions -
    (1) ALWAYS quote
    (2) Identify any techniques
    (3) Think about HOW the writer is saying something
    (4) Answer the question

Evaluation Questions -
    (1) Asses the effectiveness of the writers' style/ideas.
    (2) Give reasons for why you think this: quote or refer to text.

Context Questions -
    (1) State what the word(s) mean
    (2) Quote the word(s) or feature(s) that helped you to figure out that meaning
    (3) Answer the question!

Sentence Structure Questions -
    Identify aspect of sentence structure:
    - Length of sentences
    - Types of sentences
    - Punctuation, parenthesis
    - Repetition, lists, inversion, climax
    Answer the question - usually explain effect of sentence structure

Imagery Questions -
    (1) Quote the image
    (2) Type of image
    (3) Literal meaning ("Just as... the ocean is really violent)
    (4) Figurative meaning ("So... is X characters actions)
    (5) Answer the Question

Features of Language -
    (1) Identify language feature (word choice, imagery, tone, sentence structure, repetition, sound technique)
    (2) Use tactics for that technique to answer question

Tone Questions -
    (1) Identify the tone (feeling)
    (2) Quote from or refer to the passage to show why you think that is the tone: word choice, structure
    (3) Answer the question

Word Choice Questions -
    (1) Quote the word(s)
    (2) Denotation
    (3) Connotations
    (4) Answer the question

Link Questions -
    (1) Quote from link that refers back
    (2) State what first paragraph is about
    (3) Quote from link that refers forwards
    (4) State what next paragraph is about
    (5) Answer the question

THE FINAL QUESTION! -
    (1) Quote from both passages
    (2) It's like a mini essay
    (3) Aim to spend 15 minutes on it
    (4) Ideas = writers' points
    (5) Style = writers' techniques

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Applying to university
Uni match

Find your perfect match

Our tool will help you find the perfect uni course for you

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.