The Student Room Group

Will poor attendance to some modules result in any major issues?

I'm in Year one and for the first term my attendance was good, not perfect but it was rare I'd miss a lecture. However I have physiotherapy for a leg issue and a change in my physiotherapists time table meant I could only get appointments on Tuesday or Thursday, it had been Monday when I have no lectures.

To minimize disruption I'd usually try and get a Tuesday afternoon appointment as I only missed a single module and it's only a 10 credit one. I haven't missed every lecture but this last term I have had to miss the majority, obviously I've read the lecture notes and it's not as if I don't understand anything. I've also missed another module on Thursday morning, especially this term as my appointment frequency has increased. Again I've had no problem and I've handed in my assignment on time and got a good mark for it, but I have missed a few non-assessed activities (group debates and such).

The University hasn't said anything about it but I did send an email to my course leader apologising about the attendance for those two modules and explained the situation, she just thanked me for making her aware of my circumstances.

Basically I'm not sure how problematic it could be? Would poor attendance in the modules affect them letting me continue even if I pass every assessed element of all modules to a good standard? The way they phrased it at the start seemed to suggest attendance was mainly considered if your grades were borderline failing (as in 35-40%).

I'm probably just being overly concerned but was wondering if anyone has had similar experiences and what general policy is?
Reply 1
Eventually you'll get a letter through telling you that your attendance is poor, and that Student Loans might take away your funding.

However, if you explain to your tutors that you have a valid reason for not attending, then they tend to be pretty lenient. My attendance in my first year was terrible, but I suffered no repercussions save that letter.
Reply 2
tell the department; you've got a very good excuse so it shouldn't really cause much trouble if you're able to make up the work.
Reply 3
Original post by Watcher7
Eventually you'll get a letter through telling you that your attendance is poor, and that Student Loans might take away your funding.

However, if you explain to your tutors that you have a valid reason for not attending, then they tend to be pretty lenient. My attendance in my first year was terrible, but I suffered no repercussions save that letter.

Well actually I'm not taking out student loans this year as I worked full time in my year out and so saved up a fair bit, enough to pay costs for this year and tuition fees next year.

But yeah ok I suppose a formal letter does make sense. Rather near the end now though as my final exam is May 16th and by then most modules will have finished. Suppose I'll just have to hope next year my time table is more convenient or I don't need appointments any more.

I suppose the University would have said something if it was so poor it was classed as some major issue. I've not had to ask for extensions for any assignments and I've done well in the two exams we've had so far. If it comes to that I'll just have to show them my height, which at 5ft 7 isn't tall as it is, is a deception and show them my orthopaedic insoles as hard evidence I do have an issue...they give me over an inch in height.. :tongue:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 4
You told your course leader and she's fine with it, so stop worrying. They'd have mentioned by now if it's an issue...
Reply 5
Original post by joey11223

Well at my uni if your attendance is really bad they do not say anything until you get your results, along with your results it says whether u r going to progress to 2nd/3rd year or not, if u have passed but your attendance is bad then they do not let u progress 2 your 2nd or 3rd year, so make sure your circumstances are known to the course administrator or something, we have someone ,like that at our uni who we can inform, also your circumstances may fall under mitigating circumstances, so they may let u progress, because its not like uve intentionally been missing lectures.

Original post by joey11223
I'm in Year one and for the first term my attendance was good, not perfect but it was rare I'd miss a lecture. However I have physiotherapy for a leg issue and a change in my physiotherapists time table meant I could only get appointments on Tuesday or Thursday, it had been Monday when I have no lectures.

To minimize disruption I'd usually try and get a Tuesday afternoon appointment as I only missed a single module and it's only a 10 credit one. I haven't missed every lecture but this last term I have had to miss the majority, obviously I've read the lecture notes and it's not as if I don't understand anything. I've also missed another module on Thursday morning, especially this term as my appointment frequency has increased. Again I've had no problem and I've handed in my assignment on time and got a good mark for it, but I have missed a few non-assessed activities (group debates and such).

The University hasn't said anything about it but I did send an email to my course leader apologising about the attendance for those two modules and explained the situation, she just thanked me for making her aware of my circumstances.

Basically I'm not sure how problematic it could be? Would poor attendance in the modules affect them letting me continue even if I pass every assessed element of all modules to a good standard? The way they phrased it at the start seemed to suggest attendance was mainly considered if your grades were borderline failing (as in 35-40%).

I'm probably just being overly concerned but was wondering if anyone has had similar experiences and what general policy is?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending