Turn on thread page Beta

What is the difference between 'free speech' and 'racial hatred'? watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: What is the difference between 'free speech' and 'racial hatred'?
    We should be able to say what we want, when we want.
    41.25%
    There is a line. Some things should only be disscused in private not public.
    43.75%
    Nobody gets an opinion.
    6.25%
    I don't care.
    8.75%

ReputationRep:
    Freedom of speech is one thing. Having the intelligence to know when to use it is another

People can THINK what they like but when they take it a step further and DO or SAY something that causes GENUINE mental, physical or emotional harm to others then that has crossed the line for me.

I have emphasised genuine because it really grips my **** when people play the race (or whatever) card when they have no grounds. eg incompetence at work and a superviser/manager takes action only to end up facing an unjustified harrassment charge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maddog Jones)
    The current laws work fine - freedom of speech up to the point where you are infringing the rights of others, or encouraging others to do so.
    You realise that's an incredibly broad principle, don't you?

If I offend a person by ridiculing them/ something they've done or said, do I infringe a right of theirs?

What if I offend someone by critiquing their religion or political ideology? Should I be stopped from doing that?

edit: you also ignored my other question. Do you think that criminalising "intolerant" speech breeds tolerance?

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.