Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello guys,

First of all guys I'm a 10th grader at Istanbul, Turkey. Next year I will be choosing between IB or non-IB (I will be choosing IB with 85%) . I'm a science student and willing to study medicine at UK, US or Canada. So I'm trying to gather information and focus on one of em to be more successfull.

So some of my older friends from my school told me that most of the universities at UK accepts very low amount of overseas students. If I match to the academic requirements (37 IB diploma grade, Toefl etc if needed) what is my chance to get an acceptance from a -standard level- medicine school? On average how many overseas students do they accept?

No doubt about non-academic things since I'm successfull at sports; been on national team at Turkey, will have some work experience and other tasks like working on Red Crescent.

Also note that I have no dual citizenship.

Thanks for help,
    Regards.

ReputationRep:
    Overseas med students tend to be outstanding students with 42+ IB points, or very good alternative qualifications. They take very, very few compared to UK citizens.

ReputationRep:
    Just a warning - I attended one of those presentations where schools came to describe what they offered / possible differentiation points and one of the things about Medicine was, as you said, limited places for Medicine hopefuls that are out of UK. (It's a law - reason is because they are afraid of brain drain occurring, which would cause a lack of doctors in UK if everyone came and left.)

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Applying to university
Uni match

Your perfect course is here

Let our match making tool match you up with your ideal uni

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.