Can't jog for more than 3 minutes - tips for a beginner?

Watch this thread
This discussion is closed.
RedGuy
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
So I'm looking for some advice from someone who has been in a similar position and has overcome. At the moment, I'm really unfit. Unfit to a point where I can't jog for longer than 3 minutes.

Ideally, I would like to be able to jog between 30-60 minutes in one session. I know it's possible, but how on earth do I get to such a stage when I'm on my knees after a few minutes?

A bit of background info on me. I'm skinny fat. I'm classified as underweight but I have a lot of fat around my stomach and chest.

Any advice at all will be appreciated!
ikoghoo
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 11 years ago
Download a podcast like couch to 5k/10k, i was just like you at the start, and the other week I did 5miles after 6 weeks. Take it slow to start, don't be too hard on yourself and most importantly stick to it.
Motorbiker
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by RedGuy)
So I'm looking for some advice from someone who has been in a similar position and has overcome. At the moment, I'm really unfit. Unfit to a point where I can't jog for longer than 3 minutes.

Ideally, I would like to be able to jog between 30-60 minutes in one session. I know it's possible, but how on earth do I get to such a stage when I'm on my knees after a few minutes?

A bit of background info on me. I'm skinny fat. I'm classified as underweight but I have a lot of fat around my stomach and chest.

Do couch to 5k... A few people on here are doing it atm...

It starts off with walking for 5 mins/running for 2 and increases running amount every week and decreses walking amount until you're running for 30 mins...
RedGuy
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
(Original post by ikoghoo)
Download a podcast like couch to 5k/10k, i was just like you at the start, and the other week I did 5miles after 6 weeks. Take it slow to start, don't be too hard on yourself and most importantly stick to it.

(Original post by MHorman)
Do couch to 5k... A few people on here are doing it atm...

It starts off with walking for 5 mins/running for 2 and increases running amount every week and decreses walking amount until you're running for 30 mins...
Thanks, sounds perfect. Is this the same Couch to 5k you guys are talking about? http://www.nhs.uk/Tools/Pages/couch-...ning-plan.aspx

There seems to be paid versions too - http://www.activetrainer.com/couch-to-5k/?cmp=1031
Countmein
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
Just keep running fatty.
cttp_ngaf
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
Just ****ing run a bit, once or twice a week. You can't not make progress.

You don't need any complicated plans, literally just run like a mile at first, stopping when you really need to, then once you can do it all in one stretch, go further.
Emaemmaemily
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
Do it in stages. Run for 2 mins, fast walk for 3 mins, run for another 2... etc.
Do this a few times a week, and you will gradually be able to jog for longer periods than you need to walk. It's what I'm in the process of doing this at the moment. I go for a jog that took 30 mins to begin with, but with a lot of walking inbetween, and now I'm jogging anough of it to be doing the route in 20 mins. It's amazing how fast you progress.
MathematicsKiller
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
Take the stairs, don't use lifts. It will help you gain some stamina.
Mr Inquisitive
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
Work in increments, don't try too much at once. You'll get there.
ikoghoo
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
Thanks, sounds perfect. Is this the same Couch to 5k you guys are talking about? http://www.nhs.uk/Tools/Pages/couch-...ning-plan.aspx

There seems to be paid versions too - http://www.activetrainer.com/couch-to-5k/?cmp=1031
Free ones are fine, NHS one takes things super slow. Start at week 3.
Motorbiker
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 11 years ago

No worries.

They're all the same thing.
http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

Is what i used but if you go to the NHS one you can get podcasts which tell you when to run and when to walk etc so can just listen to that and it sorts out all your timings for you...:cool:

Few girls in the sexy beach body thread are on it so if you want more info go ask there.
teaandcoffee
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
Do the NHS C25K plan! Its really good. I'm on Week 7 now and I couldn't run for more than 3 minutes like you too, but now I am running for 25 minutes fine
catwalk24
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
i have been trying for 40 years - its getting worse not better
username3697970
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Wear calf compression sleeves which will help.
Angry cucumber
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
C25k
Zen_38
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Im not progressing much either. Im now 40 and have iron deficiency anemia so its hard to make my muscles work the way I want them to, dispite taking iron. I have no idea how to even progress to running for 10mins let alone 30mins. Currently I am doing run 2mins sometimes I can only manage 1min then walk 30sec to 1min. I do that for 4miles and takes me between 51mins to 57mins. Wish I was better.
Jet98765
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
I have been trying for months, I cant get enough breath to jog for more than a couple of minutes. I have gone every other day for 3 weeks and never did progress even with an inhaler. Nothing is physically wrong with me, this has been a problem all my life. Any ideas?
ANM775
Rep:
Report 3 years ago

If you were like BMI 30 then I could understand ...but something is seriously wrong imo if you are skinny fat and cannot jog for over 3 minutes

I would go and see a doctor or something and insist they check things like lung capacity/vitamin levels/ or any undiagnosed medical conditions which could be causing you to tire so easily.

This is not normal in the slightest.
LadyEcliptic
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by ANM775)
If you were like BMI 30 then I could understand ...but something is seriously wrong imo if you are skinny fat and cannot jog for over 3 minutes

I would go and see a doctor or something and insist they check things like lung capacity/vitamin levels/ or any undiagnosed medical conditions which could be causing you to tire so easily.

This is not normal in the slightest.
It could be just unfitness. Jumping in to exercise and expecting a lot when your body isn’t used to it, is gonna result in your body retaliating. But it is normal if you’ve never done exercise

At the start I was like this. Now I can do a full hours workout and still continue.

You are right though - deficiency can affect it.
Mine was hypothyroidism which like to continuously drop at the moment 🙄
Spicedapplesauce
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
My BMI is 27.4 so quite high. It's so hard for me to loose weight (I had sepsis in my stomach and had to have a feeding tube a few years ago where I gained loads of weight and then I was taken off of it on a strict carb heavy diet from the hospital which didnt help plus I've got an underactive thyroid). I found it so hard to run over 5 mins but I did c25k once and did it. I'm not tryna get back into running near me but my advice is run once or twice a week but also workout every other day to boost stamina. If you have time to run more then go for it but star jumps, squats and jump rope are amazing exercises to boost stamina and improve running- hope that helps.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (19)
21.11%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (11)
12.22%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (5)
5.56%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (15)
16.67%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (21)
23.33%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (19)
21.11%

Watched Threads