Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Your favourite 3rd wave ska albums? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm on a voyage of discovery; help me out.

ReputationRep:
    I could totally help you out if you wanted anything punk related, but unfortunately I was never really that into my ska. I feel like I'm missing out, but I just can't get into it >.<

If Sonic Boom Six count (seen them live) then Third Wave isn't too bad judging solely on them.

ReputationRep:
    That is indeed 3rd wave, with a strong punk influence. Sounds good.

This is what I'm looking for: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfwsxoo_FL8

ReputationRep:
    More like Sonic Boom Sux, 'mirite.

Catch 22, Streetlight Manifesto and Solabeat Alliance (aka. Spank Boy) are the best choices as they are straight up ska. The really good stuff are bands like Link 80, Capdown, Lightyear, No Comply (UK), et al, but I wouldn't describe them as '3rd wave ska'

Duff Muffin are still around too, but they changed their name and I hear they have a pretty strong following now. Think they're called The JD Conspiracy, or something like that

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Hogso. Could you tell me your favourite album by each of those bands?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hogso)
    More like Sonic Boom Sux, 'mirite.

Catch 22, Streetlight Manifesto and Solabeat Alliance (aka. Spank Boy) are the best choices as they are straight up ska. The really good stuff are bands like Link 80, Capdown, Lightyear, No Comply (UK), et al, but I wouldn't describe them as '3rd wave ska'

Duff Muffin are still around too, but they changed their name and I hear they have a pretty strong following now. Think they're called The JD Conspiracy, or something like that
    Capdown any good? Might hop off to Brighton to see them in July, but I'm really not that into my ska, so I'm not sure if it's worth the money expenditure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skins345669)
    That is indeed 3rd wave, with a strong punk influence. Sounds good.

This is what I'm looking for: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfwsxoo_FL8
    http://www.last.fm/music/Goldfinger/+similar

Go nuts :yy:

(Although the Last.FM "Similar Artists" thing can be absolutely ****e in most cases, I've found it helpful for finding good bands whether they sound similar to another band or not).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drunk Punx)
    http://www.last.fm/music/Goldfinger/+similar

Go nuts :yy:

(Although the Last.FM "Similar Artists" thing can be absolutely ****e in most cases, I've found it helpful for finding good bands whether they sound similar to another band or not).
    Was looking to skip the trawling and go straight to the experts, but I suppose when I have some free time I can do this. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Without a doubt: hands down - The Mighty Mighty Bosstones, the pioneers of Ska-core. They've been about since the late 80's, my parents were massive fans and as they released albums over the next 20 years, each album reminds me of a different part of my life, from being a little 4 year old to leaving home and living in London. They stopped touring when I became old enough to see them live, which is a massive shame, they only really do occasional reunions nowadays.

This is their 'greatest hit' - it's the one everyone remembers them for and got pretty high in the UK top 40 at one point.

However this is one of my favourites and is the more rock/punk side of the band:

and this one's a bit more ska

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drunk Punx)
    Capdown any good? Might hop off to Brighton to see them in July, but I'm really not that into my ska, so I'm not sure if it's worth the money expenditure.
    Yeh Capdown are quality. Their first 2 albums are really, really good. They are (or were, recent dates are reunions) the UKs premiere Skacore for good reason; lots of hardcore influence, aswell as from further afield, like dub and ragga. Listen to those 2 albums and see what you think. If you're hesitant because you're expecting something like The Specials I think you'll be pleasantly surprised

Thanks Hogso. Could you tell me your favourite album by each of those bands?
    Catch 22 - Keasby Nights (was also re-recorded by; ), Streetlight Manifesto - Everything Goes Numb, Link 80 - Killing Katie, Capdown - Civil Disobedients, Lightyear - Call of the Weasel Clan, No Comply - S/T EP. Bomb the Music Industry! and The Arrogant Sons of *****es are worth looking into aswell if you enjoy that lot

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by screenager2004)
    Without a doubt: hands down - The Mighty Mighty Bosstones, the pioneers of Ska-core. They've been about since the late 80's, my parents were massive fans and as they released albums over the next 20 years, each album reminds me of a different part of my life, from being a little 4 year old to leaving home and living in London. They stopped touring when I became old enough to see them live, which is a massive shame, they only really do occasional reunions nowadays.

This is their 'greatest hit' - it's the one everyone remembers them for and got pretty high in the UK top 40 at one point.

However this is one of my favourites and is the more rock/punk side of the band:

and this one's a bit more ska
    Liking the sound of them. If you could pick one album of theirs, which would it be?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hogso)
    Yeh Capdown are quality. Their first 2 albums are really, really good. They are (or were, recent dates are reunions) the UKs premiere Skacore for good reason; lots of hardcore influence, aswell as from further afield, like dub and ragga. Listen to those 2 albums and see what you think. If you're hesitant because you're expecting something like The Specials I think you'll be pleasantly surprised

Catch 22 - Keasby Nights (was also re-recorded by; ), Streetlight Manifesto - Everything Goes Numb, Link 80 - Killing Katie, Capdown - Civil Disobedients, Lightyear - Call of the Weasel Clan, No Comply - S/T EP. Bomb the Music Industry! and The Arrogant Sons of *****es are worth looking into aswell if you enjoy that lot
    Beautiful. Some of them are a bit more punk/hardcore influenced than I was looking for, but that's cool. Thanks very much

ReputationRep:
    I quite like Mad Caddies.

ReputationRep:
    Liking the sound of them. If you could pick one album of theirs, which would it be?
    Oof that's a tough call. It's definitely between Question the Answers and Let's Face It - I'd recommend Let's Face it, it has a much fresher Ska tone. I've been listening to it a lot more since the sun's come out

ReputationRep:
    Definitely streetlight. Less Than Jake are :coma:

ReputationRep:
    Thanks to all involved. I think I've now got enough to work through.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 15, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.