Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi

Has anyone else not started revising for GCSEs?

I have exactly one month till exams and haven't toucehd my books

HELPPPPPPPP - i'm getting too distracted

Anyone know how I can strucutre my revisiong within this month so I actually can get the 10A*s i want

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    make a time table first, and stick to it, do 30-45 minute sessions and use BBC bitesize!

ReputationRep:
    GTF off internet forums would be a start.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prettygeek)
    make a time table first, and stick to it, do 30-45 minute sessions and use BBC bitesize!
    Can anyone who is doing GCSE show me an example of their timetbale

ReputationRep:
    Motivate yourself first? Not much we can do from here... We can give revision scheduling advice but it won't be effective if you keep getting distracted. Find something that'll inspire you to seriously work...

ReputationRep:
    I haven't started yet but it's just a case of getting your head down and not getting distracted and doing it! I find working outside in my garden works well for me if it's nice weather because it's more pleasant and less distractions.

(Original post by manutd27)
    Can anyone who is doing GCSE show me an example of their timetbale
    lol just get on with it.

ReputationRep:
    use http://getrevising.co.uk/timetable its really useful!

Also, make revision posters to stick on the walls! i have made loads!

how many GCSEs do you have?

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I've only just started revising very sparsely, and like you, I also want the 10 A* :s
    I'm currently on Easter holiday now (not sure about you) but I'm trying to make a timetable.
    I suggest doing at least an hour on each of your core subjects every day (English, Maths, Science) and then alternate the other GCSEs each day (for instance, do French one day and then the next day do RS and keep swapping each day).
    Make sure you take lots of breaks, snacks and water to keep you concentrating
    When I get bored I tend to go for the lazy option of watching tutorials on Youtube.

Also, you could try http://www.khanacademy.org . This is a fantastic site for the sciences and it considerably helped me for my Maths IGCSE - I could not do differentiation when my teacher went through it, but after watching one tutorial video on this site I became a pro.

I have your problem of distraction: the weather is so nice! And when I get on the computer I tend to waste time on TSR and Youtube :3 I just can't seem to concentrate at all.
    I find that going to the library to revise helps a lot; they have a silent environment with no distractions of TV or nagging family members and you can stay there for as long as you want.

Happy Revising, hope I helped

ReputationRep:
    me neither i plan to start easter but i know im going to get a mountain of homework

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Articaaa)
    use http://getrevising.co.uk/timetable its really useful!

Also, make revision posters to stick on the walls! i have made loads!

how many GCSEs do you have?
    11 :/

ReputationRep:
    once you get your head down and start it will all flow from there really, then when you have gotten into full-flow with things you will ask yourself why you didn't start before...

ReputationRep:
    Revising for GCSE's :mmm:

ReputationRep:
    You're not alone, OP I plan to start Thursday.. was going to be tomorrow, but i decided to go into town for the day instead! You can see where my priorities, worryingly, lie! And i have 14 GCSEs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shouldberevising)
    THANKYOU. any more tips? struggling to stay focused at the moment.
    You're welcome

Sleep is another thing; my sleeping pattern used to be terrible, I used to go to bed at ridiculous hours and then wake up at 6am for school and I would be tired and unable to concentrate all day. I now give myself a bedtime of 9.30 where I read TKAMB (my English Lit book choice) and then lights out at 10.00-10.30, which gives me sufficient sleep to wake up with ease and concentrate the next day.

Don't eat junk food; I get horrible chocolate cravings and when I give in, it just makes me even more hungry and tired and unable to concentrate.

If you want to revise with music on in the background I suggest keeping it at a very low volume, and/or listen to wordless music so you won't get distracted or confused by the speaking of the singer while you're studying. I tend to end up forgetting what I'm doing and singing along to my favorite Radiohead and Muse stuff

For each revision session, set yourself goals eg. "At the end of this session I would like to have covered the topic of Enzymes in Biology unit B2 and completed a B2 past paper". By setting yourself goals, you have something to motivate yourself and work towards.
    Also if you achieve these goals you could make yourself a reward system and allow yourself a treat, for instance "If I complete all of the goals for all of my revision sessions today, I can have 30 mins on CoD" (as long as you don't go overboard; if you allow yourself 30 minutes, then do it for MAXIMUM 30 minutes and no more).
    If you've got a problem of wasting too much time on certain websites (eg. Facebook) there are some wonderful add-ons for Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox that limit your time on these websites. For Chrome, "Chrome Nanny" and for Firefox, "Leechblock" (just search them). I'm not sure about any other browsers sorry, but I'm sure there could be something similar.

Also there's the standard past paper after past paper method; make sure you do them honestly without cheating, and make sure you study the mark schemes afterwards so you know exactly what to put the next time you do it (particularly useful for sciences).

....Can't think of anything else right now.... but I hoped that helped

ReputationRep:
    please there gcses's
    alls you need is two weeks and going crazy the night before
    thats if you have a good memory

ReputationRep:
    Haha

Whenever I have reivsed in the past in a holiday I go to sleep at 1-2, wake up at 10ish, start revision at 12ish with LOADS of break in between.

I cant stay focused without music and can't work for more than 20 mins in a stretch

(Original post by a rusH)
    You're welcome

Sleep is another thing; my sleeping pattern used to be terrible, I used to go to bed at ridiculous hours and then wake up at 6am for school and I would be tired and unable to concentrate all day. I now give myself a bedtime of 9.30 where I read TKAMB (my English Lit book choice) and then lights out at 10.00-10.30, which gives me sufficient sleep to wake up with ease and concentrate the next day.

Don't eat junk food; I get horrible chocolate cravings and when I give in, it just makes me even more hungry and tired and unable to concentrate.

If you want to revise with music on in the background I suggest keeping it at a very low volume, and/or listen to wordless music so you won't get distracted or confused by the speaking of the singer while you're studying. I tend to end up forgetting what I'm doing and singing along to my favorite Radiohead and Muse stuff

For each revision session, set yourself goals eg. "At the end of this session I would like to have covered the topic of Enzymes in Biology unit B2 and completed a B2 past paper". By setting yourself goals, you have something to motivate yourself and work towards.
    Also if you achieve these goals you could make yourself a reward system and allow yourself a treat, for instance "If I complete all of the goals for all of my revision sessions today, I can have 30 mins on CoD" (as long as you don't go overboard; if you allow yourself 30 minutes, then do it for MAXIMUM 30 minutes and no more).
    If you've got a problem of wasting too much time on certain websites (eg. Facebook) there are some wonderful add-ons for Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox that limit your time on these websites. For Chrome, "Chrome Nanny" and for Firefox, "Leechblock" (just search them). I'm not sure about any other browsers sorry, but I'm sure there could be something similar.

Also there's the standard past paper after past paper method; make sure you do them honestly without cheating, and make sure you study the mark schemes afterwards so you know exactly what to put the next time you do it (particularly useful for sciences).

....Can't think of anything else right now.... but I hoped that helped

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manutd27)
    Haha

Whenever I have reivsed in the past in a holiday I go to sleep at 1-2, wake up at 10ish, start revision at 12ish with LOADS of break in between.

I cant stay focused without music and can't work for more than 20 mins in a stretch

hahaha, well it's whatever works for you really I used to have a sleeping pattern like that but I got sick of it because I ended up missing half of the morning, and when I got back to school I would always sleep in accidentally. Plus the panda eyes + zombie stance don't work too well for me :rolleyes:

Just trying my best to be a help but yeah, whatever floats your boat

ReputationRep:
    Same, and I have a revision timetable! I just gotta think of the pleasure of good grades I guess :P

ReputationRep:
    All I ever got round to was making a Timetable at GCSE

Hmm, that's as far as I've got this year aswell, and AS's are only a month and a bit away

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.