My thought exactly!
Amy
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Howard)
SOAS?
dizzzzzy had to ge to lesson, but whats that?
jediknight007
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by ~*glitter*~)
dizzzzzy had to ge to lesson, but whats that?
School of Oriental and African Studies, based in London. They have just gone and rejected me for Economics and Japanese, which required only BBC and I'm predicted ABB. I think it was my crappy personal statement which did it.
dizzzzzy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
i wanna know the best ones for spanish and french. not oriental ones!
poowpoow
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
hi hayley. i dont know. but i do know i dont want to go to french in a minute i havent done my essay or ne coursework. oh no.
Moog
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
School of Oriental and African Studies, based in London. They have just gone and rejected me for Economics and Japanese, which required only BBC and I'm predicted ABB. I think it was my crappy personal statement which did it.
Lol! I know what you mean, my personal statement was a bit of a shocker. It was a real last minute rush done in about 30mins and was half the size of everyone elses i've seen. I figured everyone just writes a load of ******** in them and hopefuly the unis realise this.

Dizzzzzy why do u want to study foreign languages? English is fine, maybe do Japanease just because its funny.
Xenon
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
St Andrews does french I think.
Howard
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by dizzzzzy)
i wanna know the best ones for spanish and french. not oriental ones!
Well, I honestly think anyplace will do if you want to study Spanish and French because they are both easy peasy languanges. I'd be surprized if you didn't attain fluency in them both after 3 years study at just about anywhere.
emom100
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
hiya i'm biased but i'm doing spanish at Bristol and i'm loving it. To be honest it's really hard to compare with other uni's but a good guide would be to ask how many contact hours you have and how mnay options are available in the 2nd year onwards. One of the things that really put me off durham was that there was barely any choice in Spansh options but at Brsitol i will have loads to choose from next year. Also look at a-level requirements to see what kind of people your course seems to attract. IN terms of reputation Oxbridge are obviously going to attract the best people and as result all the teaching will be tailored to a high level. For languages especially its useful if your studying with people that are of a similar standard to yourself. Even within people who got all A's there is still quite a big differnece in abilites. So think about theat when looing at uni's that might have bbc requirments
emom100
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Howard)
Well, I honestly think anyplace will do if you want to study Spanish and French because they are both easy peasy languanges. I'd be surprized if you didn't attain fluency in them both after 3 years study at just about anywhere.
easy peasy are they? Admittedly they are easier languages than the oriental ones but you still have to put in loads of effort to become fluent after 4 years of uni.
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by emom100)
easy peasy are they? Admittedly they are easier languages than the oriental ones but you still have to put in loads of effort to become fluent after 4 years of uni.
Yes, you do have to put effort into learning them, but your chances of gaining fluency in Spanish after 4 years effort are a bit higher than gaining fluency in Korean or Uzbek.

That's all I'm saying. They are easy peasy by comparison.
emom100
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
ok take your point. I have noticed that spanish is so much easier than Portuguese and thats just another romance language. I woul love to try japanese though.
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by emom100)
ok take your point. I have noticed that spanish is so much easier than Portuguese and thats just another romance language. I woul love to try japanese though.
I once saw a list ranking languages in order of difficulty (based on 1 for easiest and 5 for hardest) but really can't remember where. Spanish was assigned a 1.

Here's what Deborah D.K. Ruuskane, Professor of Language at the University of Vaasa, in Finland says:

Once you've learned Spanish "you'd find it very easy to learn Italian or Romanian, slightly less easy to learn Portuguese, and relatively speaking slightly harder to learn French than Italian"
EI_123
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
If you want to do a comparision Spanish is so much harder than English...
is a richer language, in conjugations and verbal times by instance.

Spanish should be easier to indo-europeans speakers especially of course to the Romance ones.
emom100
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
that doesn't surprise me. I read somewhere that before the security services take agents on they will give them a language aptitude test to try and find their abilty to learn the arabic languages even if they've done a latin based language degree because being good at learning one type of languages doesn't necessarily mean you will adapt to arabic etc.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1618)
79.2%
Leave (425)
20.8%

Watched Threads