Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Can I afford to run a car? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Okay, obviously this will be rough. Because there's too many variables. But I earn £300 a month, could I run a vauxhall corsa 1.2 for example, if I'm using it just to drive to places I need to go (not racing around) I'd only be driving within 10 miles really and usng it about 5 days a week. Thanks in advance!

ReputationRep:
    Depends what else you need to spend the 300 a month on.

ReputationRep:
    Not alot, no other bills expect for my phone and general living cost. I'd probably need about £100 spare a month.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aaron.smith)
    Okay, obviously this will be rough. Because there's too many variables. But I earn £300 a month, could I run a vauxhall corsa 1.2 for example, if I'm using it just to drive to places I need to go (not racing around) I'd only be driving within 10 miles really and usng it about 5 days a week. Thanks in advance!
    the major cost for young drivers (you are i'm guessing ) is insurance so put in your details to get an idea of how much it would cost you per month. i would have thought at least £100?

then you've got the corsa, you could get a decent one for £1000-£2000 depending on condition / mileage / age.

then you've got road tax. around £100?

then you've got to have an MOT at the end of each year. (£150-£200? )

then you've got petrol.

makes me wonder why i'm so desperate to own a car

ReputationRep:
    Na mate its not really

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CalmDownMrRooney)
    the major cost for young drivers (you are i'm guessing ) is insurance so put in your details to get an idea of how much it would cost you per month. i would have thought at least £100?

then you've got the corsa, you could get a decent one for £1000-£2000 depending on condition / mileage / age.

then you've got petrol.

To run a car....

I ran my 1.2 Corsa on £300 a month, including monthly insurance etc. Will take some sacrifices but is perfectly doable, as long as you fix problems before they get really bad.

ReputationRep:
    Well it sounds like you'll use your car less than me, and I fill up once every 2-4 weeks. It's about £50 to fill up, so you would need about £50 a month for petrol.
    Keep in mind you may want to keep some back for any minor accidents or MOT complications.
    Insurance is like £2000 a year for me (17 year old female) so it's probably different for you. Work out your monthly insurance cost and add that on to your petrol.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys, so would I still have a little bit of cash left over at the end would you say?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by CalmDownMrRooney)

then you've got petrol.

These are all things you need to think about.
    Some things to consider though- if you pay your insurance in full, as well as the insurance being out of the way for a whole year, its cheaper too.
    And you may want to look at different cars too. Some cars are cheaper than others to tax, insure etc than others. Plus corsas can be seen as boy racer cars so can be more expencive.

ReputationRep:
    You've hit the nail on the head there Emma lol. I don't like complaining because it wont solve anything. But I think it's wrong that insurance companies look at young men all as boy racers who are going to ruin there cars. It's not fair -_-

(Original post by aaron.smith)
    You've hit the nail on the head there Emma lol. I don't like complaining because it wont solve anything. But I think it's wrong that insurance companies look at young men all as boy racers who are going to ruin there cars. It's not fair -_-
    Unfortunately there's no better way of doing it.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldnt be able too my insurance alone is £205 a month ona MGZR (MyBaby) i spend about £120 on petrol a month which works out to about £325 amonth roughly depending on how petrol i use. my car isa 1.4 though and i drive around a 25mile round trip 5 days a week for work and college.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emma:-))
    These are all things you need to think about.
    Some things to consider though- if you pay your insurance in full, as well as the insurance being out of the way for a whole year, its cheaper too.
    And you may want to look at different cars too. Some cars are cheaper than others to tax, insure etc than others. Plus corsas can be seen as boy racer cars so can be more expencive.
    i thought corsa's were the cheapest car to insurance at a young age LOL i thought thats why everybody run's out and buys one as soon as they pass aha
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Khaysha-Saine)
    i thought corsa's were the cheapest car to insurance at a young age LOL i thought thats why everybody run's out and buys one as soon as they pass aha
    They are quite cheap to run (tax, petrol etc) but insurance wise- they arent cheaper than other cars. Actually because they can seen as boy racer cars- they can be mre expencive.
    There are plenty of other cars which are cheap which plenty of young drivers have (and arent seen so boy racer ish) such as fiat puntos, nissan micras, ford ka's, ford fiestas, peugeot 206's etc

ReputationRep:
    They are quite cheap to run (tax, petrol etc) but insurance wise- they arent cheaper than other cars. Actually because they can seen as boy racer cars- they can be mre expencive.
    There are plenty of other cars which are cheap which plenty of young drivers have (and arent seen so boy racer ish) such as fiat puntos, nissan micras, ford ka's, ford fiestas, peugeot 206's etc
    OMG! i couldnt drive a Micra or KA id rather die (yes im very snobish about cars LOL) depends what plate Ford Fiesta and i LOVE 206's i tried to insure one and it was just as much as the sports cars :sad:

ReputationRep:
    can you afford not to is more of the question. i hate car expenses but without it i probably wouldnt have a minimal stress journey to work every day
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Khaysha-Saine)
    OMG! i couldnt drive a Micra or KA id rather die (yes im very snobish about cars LOL) depends what plate Ford Fiesta and i LOVE 206's i tried to insure one and it was just as much as the sports cars :sad:
    I have to agree with you about ka's. I hate them and everything about them. I can think of so many faults with them its unreal. Quite a few young drivers do drive though.
    Dont knock micras though. They are good cars, theres nothing wrong with them. I know because i own one.

ReputationRep:
    I have to agree with you about ka's. I hate them and everything about them. I can think of so many faults with them its unreal. Quite a few young drivers do drive though.
    Dont knock micras though. They are good cars, theres nothing wrong with them. I know because i own one.
    :ninja: ok i don't mean to offend anybody its just a personal thing i know NOTHING about the cars i just dont like the look of them but your would probs hate my car kinda thing

ReputationRep:
    Insurance is a killer. I'm still paying £800 a year after 3 years no claims..that is on an Audi though. And would probably be double that if I was male..very unfair!

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.