Turn on thread page Beta

Can I afford to run a car? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viola146)
    Well it sounds like you'll use your car less than me, and I fill up once every 2-4 weeks. It's about £50 to fill up, so you would need about £50 a month for petrol.
    Keep in mind you may want to keep some back for any minor accidents or MOT complications.
    Insurance is like £2000 a year for me (17 year old female) so it's probably different for you. Work out your monthly insurance cost and add that on to your petrol.
    £2000 for what car?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperStarr1)
    £2000 for what car?
    I have a 57 plate Honda Jazz. It's 2200 for a friend of mine with an S reg Ford Fiesta. Insurance is a killer for new drivers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moviebuffateer)
    Micra's are crap especially considering the size of them you'd have thought they'd be good around corners but are crap. Ka's are fun drives and good at cornering but not comfy. I'd take the Ka out of those bad choices. Fiesta's are good and 206's are ok.

I much prefer my Polo :-D
    i have a thing about micras i just cant be seen in one! my friends would laugh so hard if i ever steped inside 1! i dont really like corsas either (two many people have them)

i just think KA's look like a mini bubble on wheels there just ugly BUT its all personal choice i mean my cousion has a KA (i refuse to get in it though)

now Polo's are amazing (depending on the plate) my friends has 1 and im considering getting a 06 plate new shape one in a few months

i have to quote what my teacher said at the begining of out course "I dont want to hear that you lot have been missing classes becuase you have been driving up and down the stratford road in a purple micra" i was almost in tears it was THAT funny. aha

ReputationRep:
    Maths qualifications? no?

ReputationRep:
    I have a 57 plate Honda Jazz. It's 2200 for a friend of mine with an S reg Ford Fiesta. Insurance is a killer for new drivers.
    Oo okay. I've had my license for about 8 or so months now - finally ready to buy a car now - VW Polo, but I've haven't driven since then I'm 21 though, so hopefully my insurance will be a bit cheaper!

ReputationRep:
    I earn £1300 a month and can just now afford a car! Lot of things to think about what if it needs repairs?? x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aaron.smith)
    Okay, obviously this will be rough. Because there's too many variables. But I earn £300 a month, could I run a vauxhall corsa 1.2 for example, if I'm using it just to drive to places I need to go (not racing around) I'd only be driving within 10 miles really and usng it about 5 days a week. Thanks in advance!
    I run a similar car, im 18 and earn about £500 a month and its easy, £20 a week max if driving quite a lot, you would be fine

ReputationRep:
    I have a corsa 1.2 and I can afford to run it on £200 a month.
    My insurance is £71 a month and £20 of petrol will last about 2 weeks.
    My last MOT was only £45 because no work needed to be done but my road tax is £125 for the year.

ReputationRep:
    Your biggest payout is insurance, which for me is £1800. The tax for a full year is £165 for me.

But £300 should be more than enough. Seat Arosa's are the cheapest to tax/insure that i know of, but they are damn ugly cars lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emma:-))
    I have to agree with you about ka's. I hate them and everything about them. I can think of so many faults with them its unreal. Quite a few young drivers do drive though.
    Dont knock micras though. They are good cars, theres nothing wrong with them. I know because i own one.

I love my KA I never used to want one though! but after my punto died it was either a KA or nothing.

I love it! Its a bit loud (i have my music so loud it doesnt bother me) but its cheap and easy to run and my insurance went down so much!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Jellybeany)
    I love my KA I never used to want one though! but after my punto died it was either a KA or nothing.

I love it! Its a bit loud (i have my music so loud it doesnt bother me) but its cheap and easy to run and my insurance went down so much!
    A similar thing happened to my punto, thats why i had to get a new car. I did look into ka's but it just made me realise how much i dont like them (insurance was higher for me with a ka, rust etc). But hating ka's is just my opinion though. Some people swear by them.

ReputationRep:
    A similar thing happened to my punto, thats why i had to get a new car. I did look into ka's but it just made me realise how much i dont like them (insurance was higher for me with a ka, rust etc). But hating ka's is just my opinion though. Some people swear by them.

Haha thats fair enough
    I wouldnt have picked it if i had the choice even now!
    But it was that or nothing and i didnt pay so i wasnt complaining!
    Its only for a year so its fine

I really want a seat leon or a mini or an audi

:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    i really need a job, have a gorgeous citroen saxo on the driving waiting to be insured! not a good idea buying a car, before realising you have no steady income to afford it, oops!

ReputationRep:
    Okay, obviously this will be rough. Because there's too many variables. But I earn £300 a month, could I run a vauxhall corsa 1.2 for example, if I'm using it just to drive to places I need to go (not racing around) I'd only be driving within 10 miles really and usng it about 5 days a week. Thanks in advance!
    In a word: no.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jellybeany)
    Haha thats fair enough
    I wouldnt have picked it if i had the choice even now!
    But it was that or nothing and i didnt pay so i wasnt complaining!
    Its only for a year so its fine

I really want a seat leon or a mini or an audi

:rolleyes:
    Audis are the way to go.

ReputationRep:

I earn £300 a month too and i run mine just fine. Pay £120 insurance per month, around £25 on petrol. I did my tax for 6 months to fit in with my budget and i have RAC cover too. I put money away for repairs and that as well. Definitely doable, just need to sacrifice a few things!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lamps08)
    To run a car....
    thats what i meant you idiot

These are all things you need to think about.
    Some things to consider though- if you pay your insurance in full, as well as the insurance being out of the way for a whole year, its cheaper too.
    And you may want to look at different cars too. Some cars are cheaper than others to tax, insure etc than others. Plus corsas can be seen as boy racer cars so can be more expencive.
    we had the same debate over whether corsas are cheapest to insure in another thread the other day i think . from my (and many other peoples) experiences, they are cheaper to insure than certainly every car i've tried!

ReputationRep:
    Well it sounds like you'll use your car less than me, and I fill up once every 2-4 weeks. It's about £50 to fill up, so you would need about £50 a month for petrol.
    Keep in mind you may want to keep some back for any minor accidents or MOT complications.
    Insurance is like £2000 a year for me (17 year old female) so it's probably different for you. Work out your monthly insurance cost and add that on to your petrol.
    Your insurance is £2000/ year?! How did you get that?! I'm also a 17yo female and I've been searching around and the cheapest I found was between £3000 and £5500..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Naomiimoan)
    Your insurance is £2000/ year?! How did you get that?! I'm also a 17yo female and I've been searching around and the cheapest I found was between £3000 and £5500..
    It's 1900 and something with DirectLine, fully comprehensive. I got 10% off because my mum is already a customer. Go on their website and get a quote.

ReputationRep:
    It totally depends how long you've had your license for and if you have any no claims yet. In my first year my insurance was £120 a month. I filled up once a month (made it stretch!) at a cost of about £45-£50. Thing is insurance has gone up since I took mine out right now I think you'd be lucky to get insurance for £120 a month from what I've seen

Shop around you might get a really good quote but I wouldn't hold your hopes up. Have you got savings to buy the car with? MOT and service for my car (1.2 Seat Ibiza) I'd be lucky to get for £200 together. Just last month I got a puncture. When fixing it they noticed one of my back tyres was worn, so I had to pay to get a puncture fixed, for a new tyre and they highly recommended I get my tracking done because of how this one tyre was knackered. I left £145 lighter They ripped me off a bit but even so it was the expense of a puncture and new tyre unexpectedly which aren't all that welcome..!

You can service yourself or get someone who is in the know to do it but can't sell it as having full service history hence I will get mine done through a garage probably.

I don't have a job at the minute, paid for insurance out of my student overdraft (year 2 of driving with 1 year no claims was £911 for the year) and I'm doing OK supporting it off student loan but do need a job over summer to get it serviced etc. For me after having it one year I figured it was better to ride it out and keep up driving for the experience with the hope my insurance will keep coming down but if I passed this year I'm not so sure I'd have gotten the car I did etc.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.