Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My sister is 16 turning 17 in june, and im really worried about her. Basically shes gone down hill with her life, like the other day we had a call from the police saying she was in a cell and we needed to pick her up (can't say what for sorry). She doesn't take drugs, well not that i know off. She's currently in six form but never goes, she wears scruffy clothes and comes in late at night.

And now she is thinking of joining the army which would be good for her i surpose but this means she would be going to Iraq I don't know what to do. Would she be safer here?

I really want to help her but don't know how, I give her support but I don't want it to come to the stage where I lose her :/ Any advice will help thanksx

ReputationRep:
    My cousin joined the army at 17 and 7 years later she hasn't looked back. She wasn't getting in to trouble with the police but she was struggling to fit in with civvie street. FYI, she has only been to Afghanistan twice in 7 years and even then women are not allowed on the front line. I think the army can work wonders for people who are falling off the rails, it brings out the best in people and messing about just isn't allowed. I would actually encourage your sister to enrole, it could well be the best thing to ever happen to her.

ReputationRep:
    if she wants to join the army, shes most definitely not a f*ck up.

dont be worried, she's just finding her way.

ReputationRep:
    she can't be in that bad a state if she has plans for her life like joining the army, it could only do her the world of good and give her some structure in her life which it sounds like she needs..

ReputationRep:
    There's no danger for a woman in the army anyway since they never actually see proper combat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    My sister is 16 turning 17 in june, and im really worried about her. Basically shes gone down hill with her life, like the other day we had a call from the police saying she was in a cell and we needed to pick her up (can't say what for sorry). She doesn't take drugs, well not that i know off. She's currently in six form but never goes, she wears scruffy clothes and comes in late at night.

And now she is thinking of joining the army which would be good for her i surpose but this means she would be going to Iraq I don't know what to do. Would she be safer here?

I really want to help her but don't know how, I give her support but I don't want it to come to the stage where I lose her :/ Any advice will help thanksx
    Just to point out she won't be going to Iraq. We are not there anymore apart from some people training their troops.

She could be going to Afghanistan though but would that be so bad? It's what she wants to do and the army is a great career path.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    She doesn't take drugs, well not that i know off. She's currently in six form but never goes, she wears scruffy clothes and comes in late at night.
    Isn't that normal for a teenager - it was when I was one but that was some time ago
    Would she be safer here?
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    maybe she's had a restrictive lifestyle and now that she's 16, she's doing what she wants as she can get away with it, maybe your parents were previously strict, and maybe aren't so much now. Or possibly your parents aren't loving to her, I don't know. I would try to find the cause of this behaviour and try to resolve the root cause of the problem, and maybe then things will sort themselves out.

ReputationRep:
    Are you worried about your sister's general behaviour or more specifically about her joining the army? My brother joined the army 2 years ago and he's now stationed over in Germany. He's hoping to go to Afghanistan this year or next. Of course it's a scary thought, but he is the happiest he has ever been. With regards to the behaviour, you/your parents can try and talk some sense in to her but you know whether she's likely to listen at all.

Thank you for everyones help, the advice has been really helpful,

Are you worried about your sister's general behaviour or more specifically about her joining the army?
    Both tbh :/

My parents are not that strict with her but they try to talk to her and it doesn't work hahaha its all ok though shes made a decission that shes going, Im just going to support her and hope she'll be alright,

I hope all of your family that have gone to the army or are there, come home safe x

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 14, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.