Turn on thread page Beta

I need to know what the hell I'm doing. watch

ReputationRep:
    Right, I feel a bit intimated and reluctant posting on a sub-forum full of people who actually know what they are doing. I'll get this out of the way - I'm a noob. Up until about August last year I did little to no exercise and was quite skinny. But then a friend convinced me to come to the gym and that he would take me through the same plan he uses.

Well, 8 months later, I'm much more motivated. I can see astounding the effects in my chest, arms and my stomach is showing a better physique (no abs though).

Although my problem is that I don't 'know' what's good - I've just been doing what my friend has been telling me. Despite putting more muscle on in certain areas my rib outlines are still visible through the skin (not as much as it was, mind, but still quite noticeable) which I take to mean that I'm still skinny. I'm also not seeing any progress in the stomach/abdominal area - it's just kind of flat and there's no 'abs' to show off, if you know what I mean. I'm 9 stone 5, and according to

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/librar...calculator.htm

I have a body fat percentage of 8.4%. Although I've taken many different tests and they all give me different answers....what's the best calculator?

So I was wondering if some of you guys could judge this plan my friend uses. I trust him well, but I need to know how to tone my abs to a much better standard and also become much less skinnier in the upper chest area.

I go to the gym three times a week. The first involves the 'pushes' routine;

Chest

Bench Press
    Incline Bench Press

Shoulders/Upper Back

Shoulder Press

Triceps
    Tricep Pulldown

Core
    Abdominal Crunches
    Alternating Side Bends

Second - the 'pull' routine;

Shoulders/Upper Back

Shoulder Shrugs
    Lat Pulldown
    Bent Over Wide Grip Rowing
    Wide Front Raise

Biceps

EZ Bar Curls

Core

Good Morning

And then the third involves cardio - between 40 minutes to an hour on the treadmill or other equipment.

This workout varies each week. The first week contains a 'heavy session' whereby we do one weight interval under our maximum, doing 3 sets of 5 reps. The second week is a light session, of 3 sets of 10 reps. So can anyone relate their opinion on this?

I've also attempted to change my diet to account for muscle gain and avoiding fat. I've swapped to primarily meat/fish based meals for lunch and dinner, two pieces of fruit a day and a protein shake just once a day. Sometimes I have three boiled eggs + toast for lunch. I sleep through breakfast too often that I haven't changed it, although if that's a problem I'll make sure I get up for it.

ReputationRep:
    Read the sticky.
    You can thank me later.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 12, 2011
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.