Turn on thread page Beta

Beach Break Live: how much do festivals cost? watch

ReputationRep:
    So I'm an int'l student here in the UK and haven't ever been to a festival.

I'm looking into going to Beach Break Live 2011 in Wales with some friends, who are clueless like me.

The fee for the festival is 100 pounds, but I am wondering how much the total cost would be? Obviously, we have to take our own tents and sleeping bags right?

Other than that, the main cost I'm worried about is food. From your experiences, how much does food cost in festivals? I have hear the average is around 8 pounds per meal, is this true or an exaggeration? As this will increase the cost by around 70 to 80 pounds for 4days.

Any help would be appreciated and please share your experiences of similar festivals.

ReputationRep:
    oh and how expensive are drinks, though we'll be taking a lot of our own

ReputationRep:
    Hey

I have been to BBL for the last 3 years and absoloutely love it! I am really into my music but cant afford the big festivals like Glasto and Reading but BBL has a suprisingly good mix of stuff. (There is a tent called Chai Wallah that is awesome.) It is by far the cheapest festival out there and you can do loads of other random things like snowboarding and toboganning and horseriding! You do have to pay for your travel, I have always driven with my mates but you do have to pay like £10 a person which is expensive. I think there is a booking fee this year??? But that's normal I guess.

I dont think I have ever been to an event where the food is cheap. BBL is quite good though, you can get a decent meal for £5, there are some cheaper bits too and it is SOOO good though. We take snack like food with us for the morings usually and then only need to get 2 meals a day. Drinks prices are good for an event though, last year it was £3 for a pint. You cant bring so much alcohol in with you though which is the downside.

So I guess you can say Im a big fan. It is a really chilled out festival and everyone is so friendly because most are students. Its more of a holiday than a festival, especially with the beach. I think its a perfect first festival for you. Latitude is also really nice but really expensive.

Yeah you need to bring your tent and sleeping bag etc, by the end Im always looking forward to my bed but it is fun while you're there.

Hope that helps!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wamy)
    Hey

I have been to BBL for the last 3 years and absoloutely love it! I am really into my music but cant afford the big festivals like Glasto and Reading but BBL has a suprisingly good mix of stuff. (There is a tent called Chai Wallah that is awesome.) It is by far the cheapest festival out there and you can do loads of other random things like snowboarding and toboganning and horseriding! You do have to pay for your travel, I have always driven with my mates but you do have to pay like £10 a person which is expensive. I think there is a booking fee this year??? But that's normal I guess.

I dont think I have ever been to an event where the food is cheap. BBL is quite good though, you can get a decent meal for £5, there are some cheaper bits too and it is SOOO good though. We take snack like food with us for the morings usually and then only need to get 2 meals a day. Drinks prices are good for an event though, last year it was £3 for a pint. You cant bring so much alcohol in with you though which is the downside.

So I guess you can say Im a big fan. It is a really chilled out festival and everyone is so friendly because most are students. Its more of a holiday than a festival, especially with the beach. I think its a perfect first festival for you. Latitude is also really nice but really expensive.

Yeah you need to bring your tent and sleeping bag etc, by the end Im always looking forward to my bed but it is fun while you're there.

Hope that helps!
    Thanks a lot for the reply man! 5 pounds is pretty decent, I had heard meals were around 10 pounds at festivals which was putting me off.

Yea there is a booking fee of around 5 pounds. but the transport is the main problem as none of us have a car and the BBL return coaches are 58 pounds.

So, on average, how much did you end up spending the past three years for the whole festival?

Oh and what kind of toilets/showers etc are there?

ReputationRep:
    I would bring £100 plus at least

ReputationRep:
    hmm yea I guess I'll take a bit more than 100, though 58 does sound a little too much for transport

ReputationRep:
    Take your own food? You probably wont have much time to have proper meals so snacking is ideal.

ReputationRep:
    Where do you live? If there's five of you it might be cheaper to hire a taxi than buy 5 * coach fare - call up some taxi companies (or airport transfer companies).

ReputationRep:
    Yeah depending on where you live you could even get the train - there is a train shuttle bus which is £6 (on top of what you pay for the train but if you book early you could get a good deal.)

I reckon I spend about £150 at most, but I always buy a hoody...and a hat...and other crap because Im a girl and can shop! There are cash machines on site but charge a lot, but that is standard at events so try and take what you need if you can but know that you can always get cash out if you run out. Oh also most of the activities are free but there are a few that you need to pay for. Look at the website as I think they have got prices on there.

They have toilets (obvs), again standard, and hot showers. Nothing luxurious but they do the job. But then I embrace my inner hippy and have never showered at a festival in my life! There is always the sea!

Im getting excited about it already. Woop, summer!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by starfired)
    Where do you live? If there's five of you it might be cheaper to hire a taxi than buy 5 * coach fare - call up some taxi companies (or airport transfer companies).
    We all live in London. Thanks for the advice, I'm looking up quotes for the journey.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wamy)
    Yeah depending on where you live you could even get the train - there is a train shuttle bus which is £6 (on top of what you pay for the train but if you book early you could get a good deal.)

I reckon I spend about £150 at most, but I always buy a hoody...and a hat...and other crap because Im a girl and can shop! There are cash machines on site but charge a lot, but that is standard at events so try and take what you need if you can but know that you can always get cash out if you run out. Oh also most of the activities are free but there are a few that you need to pay for. Look at the website as I think they have got prices on there.

They have toilets (obvs), again standard, and hot showers. Nothing luxurious but they do the job. But then I embrace my inner hippy and have never showered at a festival in my life! There is always the sea!

ok thanks. train + shuttle costs almost the same.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amarillo)
    ok thanks. train + shuttle costs almost the same.
    You could probably get a train ticket cheaper to somewhere random near the festival and then a taxi? Because 5*6 is £30, you can get a taxi a vaguely long way for that?

ReputationRep:
    If you're worried about meal costs grab some disposable bbqs or one of those camping hobs and cook up a meal in the morning or at lunch. It saves so much money and if you know what you're looking for you can get good tinned things like burgers which you can take and will last for a while.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wamy)

what do you do for drinking water?

and is there some place to charge your phone?

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.