Turn on thread page Beta

Is 20 years too old to to be starting uni? watch

ReputationRep:
    My mum 39 and finishing off her degree this yr and has an 18yr old daughter. Learning knows no age!

Oh and my dad is 43 finished his last year.

ReputationRep:
    This question has been done to death.... when are you too old to do a degree?

ReputationRep:
    I'd rather be my age now and starting uni (which i will be doing) rather than doing it aged 19 with a head full of **** like most people on TSR.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Well the obvious answers are going to be noo it's fine etc. etc., but would you realise if someone was two years older than you in your course and would you think anything at all of it?
    20! Pah, still a wee nipper. Officially you're not classed as a mature student in the UK until you are 25+.

I'm 34 and will either be starting university in Sept this year or Janruary 2012. I've a wife and 8 year old daughter and already have one career behind me.

Ah, to be 20 again......

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James1977)
    20! Pah, still a wee nipper. Officially you're not classed as a mature student in the UK until you are 25+.

I'm 34 and will either be starting university in Sept this year or Janruary 2012. I've a wife and 8 year old daughter and already have one career behind me.

Ah, to be 20 again......
    Mature students are 21+ normally. Which is a bit debatable, but there we are. Student Finance consider you an 'independent' mature student if you're over 25.

At 20 you'd be one of the youngest on my course. And from the grand old age of 38 I have to admit I find it hard to tell the difference between 18 and 20 anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Nope, it's not old at all.
    I started when I was 20, wasn't that daunting as I thought it was going to be. A lot of people, in what would have been, my 'year' at sixth form, had taken gap years, so a majority of them were the same age, when I started.
    I'm not the oldest on my course, there are a lot of mature students on the same programme as me.
    I'll graduate when I'm 24, while a majority of people will be 21/22. Sounds really weird but that's my situation. When it comes to university, age isn't even acknowledged. You'll be fine

ReputationRep:
    I was 25 when I re-started.. but then I look young so I guess no-one's any the wiser, never bothered me though - mind you I have bigger things to think about.. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jez RR)
    ........at 38 I have to admit I find it hard to tell the difference between 18 and 20 anyway.
    Age has its benefits. I bet you are a dab hand at being able to spot trouble brewing in the SU aren't you?

ReputationRep:
    Most people who've taken a gap yah (that is to say, most students period) will turn 20 at various points in their first year. It's no big deal. I'm friends with people in their late twenties through uni.

ReputationRep:
    One of my teachers didn't start her degree till she was 29. Have no personal experience but from what i've gathered from my brother, age doesn't matter at uni. Unless you're obviously waaaay older no one will notice or even think about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Well the obvious answers are going to be noo it's fine etc. etc., but would you realise if someone was two years older than you in your course and would you think anything at all of it?
    It's absolutely fine. I'll be 23 when I graduate and I'm two years older than the people in my year. A friend of mine is 25 and another is 30 (although he is doing a PhD. The age difference isn't a big deal at all, and it's only noticeable if you are significantly older. The only real issue is maturity and lifestyle, and that is as much an issue for people who are the same age.

Seriously, it's fine.

ReputationRep:
    op is obviously an idiot

ReputationRep:
    My brother is 25 and starting uni while i'm going to turn 18 on my first day . Nothing major at all

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 13, 2011
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.