Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys. Basically I have really, really awful acne scars left from 5-6 years of serious acne. It's awful and it makes me very self conscious, especially because I can't hide it in make-up and it shows up on almost every picture.

I don't want to go into huge detail about the psychological affects it has on me, just basically I often cry about it and I always wear makeup every day and night to hide it.
    I wish I had nice skin, because I don't know anyone who has the same skin problems as me, and I can't possibly imagine myself as being attractive with all this rubbish on my face!

I was wondering whether it would be possible to get treatment on the NHS? The reason I'm asking here is that I can't make an appointment for the GP until a few weeks and I'm really wanting a quick answer, and also one website said the cost for treatment could be £500-£10000 which I can't afford for myself, so I'm very anxious.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest.... and I don't mean this in a horrible way or anything, so please please don't take offense... I don't think you should go to the NHS for it.

There are plenty of things you can do to reduce scars - Bio-oil or dermabrasion, which, while fairly expensive, are nowhere near as expensive as the treatments you've found quoted.

IMO, you should only go for stuff on the NHS if it's absolutely crucial (i.e. surgery, something to do with your eyes). Just think of how much of the NHS budget must get spent on people saying "ooh, my so-and-so isn't right and it's making me sad, give me surgery please" (This article shows just how extreme it could go). I'm not saying you're doing anything like that but... it's not life-threatening.

Cheaper treatments can be effective, and you could even try getting therapy to help you become less self-conscious about it.

Best of luck.

ReputationRep:
    I've tried bio-oil for the past 2/3 years and at best it's had really minimal effects. I've just looked up the costs of dermabrasion and the first website said it could be between £1000-£5000? I really can't afford to buy the treatment myself, especially because I'm a student with no financial help whatsoever. £100 would be a huge cost for me!

I've tried therapy before with another unrelated issue and it didn't help there, so I don't have much faith in therapy at all.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure if the NHS will do it for you because it's probably considered cosmetic. but if you tell your GP how badly it's affecting you they might be able to do something for you

ReputationRep:
    The NHS don't do cosmetic procedures unless there is a really good reason for it e.g. severe bullying as far as I know. Get in contact with your GP and see what they say, it is possible that if your well being is severely affected by your scarring they could arrange a procedure to reduce the scars.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hanaalou)
    I'm not sure if the NHS will do it for you because it's probably considered cosmetic. but if you tell your GP how badly it's affecting you they might be able to do something for you
    That was my general thought too I'll guess I'll have to wait until my appointment to find out!

I was wondering if anyone else has been in the same situation and was able to have treatment on the NHS?

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to hear about your problem. I dont think the NHS may pay for this. But all you need to do is ring up some salons in your area. I'm sure one of them will do treatment for acne scarring. Good Luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NeonSkies)
    The NHS don't do cosmetic procedures unless there is a really good reason for it e.g. severe bullying as far as I know. Get in contact with your GP and see what they say, it is possible that if your well being is severely affected by your scarring they could arrange a procedure to reduce the scars.
    I have been bullied before about it but I wouldn't consider it severe, it just made me cry a few times. Thanks, I'll try and do that!

ReputationRep:
    Have you tried this -
    http://www.youthfulessence.co.uk/default.aspx

Youthful Essence at home kit..it has really good reviews when used often.

It is always worth asking the NHS, the worst that they can do is say no!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toon Fan)
    Sorry to hear about your problem. I dont think the NHS may pay for this. But all you need to do is ring up some salons in your area. I'm sure one of them will do treatment for acne scarring. Good Luck
    That's a good idea actually! I'm not sure how effective they'll be but it's deffo worth a try, thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qwerty7)
    I have been bullied before about it but I wouldn't consider it severe, it just made me cry a few times. Thanks, I'll try and do that!
    Emphasise it to your GP, it might sway them into looking into the treatment on the NHS.

In the mean time the NHS has a page about how to treat scarring, it might be of some use to you: http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Scars/Pages/Treatment.aspx

Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    coco butter is amazing stuff, maybe try a coco butter moisturiser??

but i doubt they will pay for treatment, they dont pay for cosmetic problems with teeth, unless its considered serious.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hanaalou)
    I know someone (who in in my circle of friends is known as a real piece of work) who got eye lifts done on the NHS due to the 'negative psychological effect' that they were having on her.....I also think she got her boob job done on teh NHS too, but dont quote me on it.

Now on principle, I say dont do it, as I agree with the first responder to this thread. NHS money should be true medical emergencies, people who need it, the man waiting for a hip replacement for 16 months etc, not for technically cosmetic treatments. My brother had a birthmark under his eyebrow making it notably larger than the other. This he was very self-conscious about, and by some arguments he could have got it done on the NHS (also due to certain compounding health-risks) but my parents paid for a private treatment, whilst we were not and are not by any means affluent.

But you could potentially get it on the NHS.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaime1986)
    Have you tried this -
    http://www.youthfulessence.co.uk/default.aspx

Youthful Essence at home kit..it has really good reviews when used often.

It is always worth asking the NHS, the worst that they can do is say no!
    Thanks for the link! It's £50 so I'll deffo be checking out the reviews ha. Thanks for the advice, it's the best I can do anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qwerty7)
    That's a good idea actually! I'm not sure how effective they'll be but it's deffo worth a try, thanks!
    Just give them a ring and ask !

ReputationRep:
    It's really upto your GP whether you can get treatment for it.

Your best bet is to tell him it's making you feel depressed/reluctant to leave the house. They spend much more money, on much more trival operations, so I don't see why you shouldn't get access to it (it your GP feels it's the right option for you!).

Why is there such a long wait before you can see your GP?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ringham33170)
    I know someone (who in in my circle of friends is known as a real piece of work) who got eye lifts done on the NHS due to the 'negative psychological effect' that they were having on her.....I also think she got her boob job done on teh NHS too, but dont quote me on it.

Now on principle, I say dont do it, as I agree with the first responder to this thread. NHS money should be true medical emergencies, people who need it, the man waiting for a hip replacement for 16 months etc, not for technically cosmetic treatments. My brother had a birthmark under his eyebrow making it notably larger than the other. This he was very self-conscious about, and by some arguments he could have got it done on the NHS (also due to certain compounding health-risks) but my parents paid for a private treatment, whilst we were not and are not by any means affluent.

But you could potentially get it on the NHS.....
    OK, I guess I won't know until I try. It get's to the point where I would happily chop my own arm off to look like a normal person so maybe I might get considered for it.

Just for the record I don't consider myself more deserving of this treatment than other patients (the hip replacement for 16 months guy) I would just love to get the best treatment I possibly can, especially when I know I won't be able to afford the treatment myself until 5/6 years time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A for Andromeda)
    It's really upto your GP whether you can get treatment for it.

Your best bet is to tell him it's making you feel depressed/reluctant to leave the house. They spend much more money, on much more trival operations, so I don't see why you shouldn't get access to it (it your GP feels it's the right option for you!).

Why is there such a long wait before you can see your GP?
    Something to do with flu, or some sickness problem in the general area which means I can't get an appointment in the next few days when I'm available, so I've got to wait until my next day off work/college, which isn't until a few weeks time sadly!

OK, my friend said the same thing but I'm still unsure as to whether they would spend the money on scar treatments for me or not. Guess I'll just have to wait until my appointment to see!
    Thanks for the advice!

ReputationRep:
    Go and ask, wont go into detail because ill be repped but i had a problem which was defneilty considered 'cosmetic' and i got it sorted on the NHS
    they base it on the indiviudal
    he said to me that because im young, a girl, etc etc (not going into detail) that i could get it done.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toon Fan)
    Just give them a ring and ask !
    I'll give that a try too, but I'm not sure if they will be able to do anything without seeing my skin first.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.