Turn on thread page Beta

Will I get NHS treatment for this? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by la-dauphine)
    But the NHS does fund treatment for conditions that have been psychologically damaging, for example if the patient's been bullied a lot because of it and it's making their life miserable. If you're entitled to it, why not take it? Free healthcare is a right, and that includes cosmetic treatment if you've suffered a lot because of whatever you have. For example, children under a certain age can have treatment to remedy unattractively large ears (really large, not just a bit above average), and a variety of treatments are available for people whose teeth are discoloured due to accident. Therapy is not enough because the self consciousness and unattractiveness is never going to go away: I should know. The NHS is not just a safety blanket for people who are on death's door. I agree though that seeking treatment like the example you gave above is totally unnecessary.
    But where do you draw the line as to what's psychologically damaging? It's a hard thing to call.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angelbones)
    But where do you draw the line as to what's psychologically damaging? It's a hard thing to call.
    The OP sounded like a classic case of someone whose condition has really damaged their confidence and self-esteem. Basically if it's clear that the patient is very upset and the condition is serious/prominent enough, there's a strong chance that they'll get free treatment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by la-dauphine)
    The OP sounded like a classic case of someone whose condition has really damaged their confidence and self-esteem. Basically if it's clear that the patient is very upset and the condition is serious/prominent enough, there's a strong chance that they'll get free treatment.
    I meant in general, but yeah, I do agree that she would probably get it.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys!

I didn't mean for this to turn into a big debate but thanks for all your responses and answers anyway! I was refered to the hospital after the doctor was certain I would recieve free treatment, but eventually it turned out that the scars are so deep routed that there isn't much I can do about it. So sadly, nothing can be done other than "wait until it heels itself", in ten years or so time.

Thanks for all the help anyway guys. I really appreciate it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qwerty7)
    Hey guys!

I didn't mean for this to turn into a big debate but thanks for all your responses and answers anyway! I was refered to the hospital after the doctor was certain I would recieve free treatment, but eventually it turned out that the scars are so deep routed that there isn't much I can do about it. So sadly, nothing can be done other than "wait until it heels itself", in ten years or so time.

Thanks for all the help anyway guys. I really appreciate it.
    That's a shame, at least you're taking it well . I'm surprised they won't offer you any help - did you discuss dermarolling and punches? I know of people with quite severe scarring who've had some positive results from that (not perfect of course, but better). Might be worth researching those if they haven't already been ruled out .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angelbones)
    To be honest.... and I don't mean this in a horrible way or anything, so please please don't take offense... I don't think you should go to the NHS for it.

There are plenty of things you can do to reduce scars - Bio-oil or dermabrasion, which, while fairly expensive, are nowhere near as expensive as the treatments you've found quoted.

IMO, you should only go for stuff on the NHS if it's absolutely crucial (i.e. surgery, something to do with your eyes). Just think of how much of the NHS budget must get spent on people saying "ooh, my so-and-so isn't right and it's making me sad, give me surgery please" (This article shows just how extreme it could go). I'm not saying you're doing anything like that but... it's not life-threatening.

Cheaper treatments can be effective, and you could even try getting therapy to help you become less self-conscious about it.

Best of luck.
    I know you're trying to help but I doubt bio-oil would help the OP. Bio oil only helps to reduce scars and does not really get rid of them. Even then, the results aren't that noticeable.
    Your post makes sense for the mostpart, but honestly, if you had a scar that was making you really self-conscious and it was in a visible place, would you really be thinking "Oh the NHS have to spend so much money already, I'll make sure they save money that would have been spent on me for others that need it more"?
    OP - you may as well see if they will do it without you paying. I too have a scar (on my face) and whilst it's not that noticeable with concealer and foundation if I could get it removed I would.
    good luck

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.