Turn on thread page Beta

Bespoke Suit watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey, was just wondering if anyone had brought a suit from Max Hence? As groupon are doing a deal for £500 for a bespoke suit which isnt bad at all
    http://www.groupon.co.uk/deals/london

ReputationRep:
    £500 isn't going to get you a bespoke suit of any real quality. That looks like it's just made-to-measure, admittedly with quite a few options to choose from (I remember reading about a court case where it was ruled that people offering MTM were actually allowed to use the term "bespoke").

Edit: It's really obvious when they say things like "Limited to the English bespoke suit range". Actual bespoke suits don't come in "ranges".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rmanoj)
    £500 isn't going to get you a bespoke suit of any real quality. That looks like it's just made-to-measure, admittedly with quite a few options to choose from (I remember reading about a court case where it was ruled that people offering MTM were actually allowed to use the term "bespoke&quot.
    out of curiosity, what is the difference between MTM and bespoke?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by purplefrog)
    out of curiosity, what is the difference between MTM and bespoke?
    MTM is where they take a standard pattern and alter it to your measurements as much as they can. This will generally get you a better fit than RTW, but some people with unusual body shapes just won't conform to a standard pattern, no matter how it is altered. There may or may not be a lot of options available for customisation.

True bespoke, on the other hand, requires an entirely new suit pattern to be made and cut out for the customer. There will be one or more intermediate fittings to make sure everything works. And of course, you will have the option of customising nearly everything.

ReputationRep:
    I've just picked up a MTM from William Hunt - and I must say, the difference from RTW is quite astounding, so I can only imagine what a fully bespoke one will be like. That said, my other main suit, a Canali RTW fits me very well indeed also. Just the fine touches that differentiate the two...strangely enough, because I got the MTM in a sale it worked out being cheaper than the RTW suit I own as well..

Next stop, fully bespoke.

ReputationRep:
    Awesome!
    You're suiting up! This is gonna be LEGENDARY.

ReputationRep:
    If you’re going to go truly bespoke you need to be willing to spend around/upwards of £1k unfortunately. With bespoke you are talking about picking every detail and having it made from scratch by hand, which is a long process with various stages of 'fitting'. I can tell you that something along the lines of a bespoke Holland and Sherry will make you feel a million dollars, and can be a good investment; for example my manor of work requires me to look very sharp so that we portray professionalism. I have no doubt in my mind that this has helped me in the sense of letting people know you mean business. I know it’s an ultra-luxury but if you ever manage to build up enough cash, go for it!

ReputationRep:
    They're doing this deal again today. Did anyone take the plunge last time?

ReputationRep:
    Just called their parent company Eveleigh and Read and confirmed:

Max Hence and Eveleigh & Read are the same thing, same place, same people, different brands

The suits are made in China and maybe Thailand

Included cloths are 280-320 weights

Would be very interested to hear from someone who got the suit last time, good or bad (especially bad!)

ReputationRep:
    A suit that speaks? Wouldn't want that, sounds like something straight out of Harry Potter.

ReputationRep:
    I am interested to see if anyone has bought from this. Personally, sounds like it will me MtM rather than fully bespoke. Especially as you only get one fitting.

ReputationRep:
    Atm, there are 84 people who have bought the deal with 12 hours plus remaining. It's likely to go over 200 again. Last time it was 253 people I believe. Hopefully one of them uses TSR.

ReputationRep:
    Edit scratch that Raja Fashions seem to have some pretty questionable reviews, looks like the journalists only get a VIP service.

ReputationRep:
    If they're offering a bespoke service for £500 you'll know its too good to be true, MTM for a half-canvassed suit will start at about that price and head sharply upwards depending on fabric.

£500 divided by the 80 hours it should take to make a bespoke suit = £6.25/hour for the tailors time.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.