Turn on thread page Beta

Don't You Just Hate It When People Just Like What Is On The UK Top 40? watch

ReputationRep:
    mostly chavs think this

ReputationRep:
    I like to be tacky and appreciate all different forms of music.
    Seriously I don't know why people are getting so nasty. I believe the original question was meant to be more like, "why do people not move out of their comfort zone and experiment with finding music that hasn't just been handed to them on the mainstream plate?"
    Or....something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by takethyfacehence)
    I don't haaaaate it, but I know what you mean. I like some chart stuff, but there's so much more out there. It's not really about the music that bothers me, it's that I don't really believe it's possible that someone can actually only like whatever's in the charts - there must be something about the charts they don't like, and there must be other music they like just as much/better. It's just being a bit narrow. And I don't understand why people wouldn't want some variety in their life, I don't think it's healthy to limit yourself, I don't think it's natural, especially with all the choice we get.

But then, music is just one medium of art, and no one cares enough or has the time to know about all genres and whatnot of every medium of art.

Like I said, it doesn't really bother me, but find it easier and more refreshing to connect with someone who is open to variety and change and exciting new things, not just the same old thing that sounds the same and is comfortable and sheepish.
    think i was planning on writing this, almost word for word
    what annoys me is not that they listen to it, its more when they all listen to only chart stuff and then turn their nose up at anything a bit different and it kind of makes you feel like you're being looked down on.
    tbh i dont really care what the hell everyone else does with their lives and what music they listen to, it really doesnt affect me. but i used to be like that, changed, and now realise how much simpler life is when there isnt that pressure to follow the crowd
    still i'm not hating on anyone, just hate todays sheeplike society:/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jing_jing)
    Nah, what really annoys me is those people who get on their high horse and declare that top 40 music is terrible just because they don't like it.

(Original post by Panda Vinnie)
    Not really bothered, I don't understand why people are so concerned with what other people are listening to. After all, all that really matters is you enjoying your own music.

I don't usually listen to the songs in the charts, although do like a few from time to time...but thinking that people who like chart music have rubbish taste is no more significant than those people thinking I have rubbish taste.

It's all subjective, enjoy your own music
    Two great answers :yep:

I don't have much else to add here. Except, it can slightly annoying sometimes if there's less people to talk about your fave music with, but apart from that I don't see why some people should have any problem at all with what other people listen to - it's just silly and petty to :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fibrebiz)
    Don't you just hate it when someone tries to be funny by going down the obvious meta-humour route?

I know what I did just there.
    I wouldn't dare challenge you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moanycar.)
    It really bugs me when people think that commercial crap is the best music ever. Just because it's on the UK Top 40 and thousands of other retards in the world actually think the song is good, doesn't mean it is!

Well...yeah
    I bet you like The Kooks or 'summin.... :teehee:
    Or indie pop paraded by NME.

I don't really hate it when people listen to the charts music, because it can be good... well it once was, we're just going through a bad phase with the same manufactured awfulness at the moment, yet I don't think we'll ever get real musical honesty completely back in the UK and US charts. I hate the people to blame for it, the men in suits- I don't hate the people who listen to it.

ReputationRep:
    why do people judge others by what music they listen to? Music is subjective. there are so many different types of music out there. Mainstream music is just more easily accessible than the others. its easy listening music, its on the radio and on music channels so you are more likely to come across it. I listen to a lot of pop/ mainstream music and get told that I have awful taste in music. But I like music that is easy listening, fun and light on the ears. and it just so happens that so many other people like this music too hence why it makes the top 40.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophiaKeuning)
    I bet you like The Kooks or 'summin.... :teehee:
    Or indie pop paraded by NME.

I don't really hate it when people listen to the charts music, because it can be good... well it once was, we're just going through a bad phase with the same manufactured awfulness at the moment, yet I don't think we'll ever get real musical honesty completely back in the UK and US charts. I hate the people to blame for it, the men in suits- I don't hate the people who listen to it.
    I agree. You almost definately worded it better than I did.

However, I do not like Indie Pop

ReputationRep:
    I quite like a few of the songs in the top 40, then i get fed up of my brother playing through it all three times a day!

ReputationRep:
    Its all subjective. Its music.

ReputationRep:
    I hate people who think they're music taste is superior to everyone elses. Only because you hate the top 40, doesn't mean everyone else should.

ReputationRep:
    I agree. You almost definately worded it better than I did.

However, I do not like Indie Pop
    Ooh, that's okay then. Indie pop can be as awful as JLS.
    I admit though, Shakira is one of the pop stars I can adore.

ReputationRep:
    The majority of music in the top 40 is a load of bull****, however the majority of the people who like it are 14 years old and younger. After that you discover the music you actually like as opposed to the **** played on the radio

ReputationRep:
    Illuminatiiiiiiiiii

ReputationRep:
    liking what's in the top 40 isn't a 'taste' in music

ReputationRep:
    Each to their own you ****

ReputationRep:
    It really bugs me when people think that commercial crap is the best music ever. Just because it's on the UK Top 40 and thousands of other retards in the world actually think the song is good, doesn't mean it is!

Well...yeah
    no what I hate is idiots like you on youtube saying 'you say X I say X 92% of teenagers have turned to X blah blah blah' thinking somehow they are superior because they listen to a particular genre.

ReputationRep:
    Don't know if it's already been mentioned but this is a massive chronological fail.

They don't like the songs because they are in the top 40, the songs are in the top 50 because they like them.

ReputationRep:
    Dunno, but omg have you heard that song 'On The Floor' by J Lo its like totally awesome oh and Jessie J 'Price Tag' and Rihanna 'S&M'- you should totally listen to them they're like well good, me and my mates love them!!

ReputationRep:
    I'm alright with it, because it stops people from listening to the bands I like. :awesome:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 14, 2011
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.