Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SmallTownGirl)
    I love the Big Bang Theory. Sheldon's amazing...
    i love it too! . Sheldon cracks me up. He also makes me feel normal, which no other person/character makes me feel.

ReputationRep:
    I wanted to do a physics degree and was aiming at the better/Russel group unis and was wondering if a further maths AS would help and if I need it. I'm already taking maths and chemistry a level. I was also thinking of an engineering degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Temi Oluwole)
    I wanted to do a physics degree and was aiming at the better/Russel group unis and was wondering if a further maths AS would help and if I need it. I'm already taking maths and chemistry a level. I was also thinking of an engineering degree.
    Definitely take it if you can. I know someone who had got an offer for manchester physics without further maths (but getting A*A*A isn’t easy no matter what subjects you take). Further maths is preferable for both physics and engineering though.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alevelphysicist)
    Definitely take it if you can. I know someone who had got an offer for manchester physics without further maths (but getting A*A*A isn’t easy no matter what subjects you take). Further maths is preferable for both physics and engineering though.
    If I am not to pick further maths I would pick EPQ which is an extended project which would make it more likely for me to get a higher grade in that subject than further maths. It's the only AS that you can get an A* and if I pick it students usually finishave around Easter which will leave loads of extra revision time in my free periods to strive for that A*A*A, I come from a so called 'deprived area' so the entrance grades may be a bit lower like a A*AA. I could also use this extra revision time to learn a bit of further maths ( the pure maths side of it) to help me in my first year. Picking EPQ is a more strategic way, if you like, of making sure I qualify for those Russel group unis. Then as for the further maths I'll learn that in the sixth form and my maths teacher may say I'm good enough to do an AS in my second year of sixth form if I put in enough effort. I wouldn't be learning further mathstudy alone because the maths department in my school is quite helpful and some of my friends picking further maths would be open to help me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Temi Oluwole)
    If I am not to pick further maths I would pick EPQ which is an extended project which would make it more likely for me to get a higher grade in that subject than further maths. It's the only AS that you can get an A* and if I pick it students usually finishave around Easter which will leave loads of extra revision time in my free periods to strive for that A*A*A, I come from a so called 'deprived area' so the entrance grades may be a bit lower like a A*AA. I could also use this extra revision time to learn a bit of further maths ( the pure maths side of it) to help me in my first year. Picking EPQ is a more strategic way, if you like, of making sure I qualify for those Russel group unis. Then as for the further maths I'll learn that in the sixth form and my maths teacher may say I'm good enough to do an AS in my second year of sixth form if I put in enough effort. I wouldn't be learning further mathstudy alone because the maths department in my school is quite helpful and some of my friends picking further maths would be open to help me.
    Yeah, I took an EPQ too and its a lot of work on top of what you already, especially because I took it during Y13. When are you taking it? To be honest, although it was interesting, I'm not sure it had much impact on my application.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    This is an old thread and is now closed

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.