Turn on thread page Beta

I just made an appointment for thursday, with a private dentist, I couldn't get into an NHS one, so I know it's going to be costly, but I've spent the last month in absolute agony after a tooth shattered ages ago.
    Thing is, I haven't been to the denist, EVER and I'm so scared! Any tips on making it less so for me?
    I know it's going to be a whole lot better once I've had some teeth taken oiut, but I'm so scared! Any advice is greatly appreciaited!

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry you will probably be numbed.
    It's the needle that scares you ****less.

ReputationRep:
    I went to the dentist today

How can you never have been?! It's not scary, I promise!

You'll be fine. They will make your tooth better and then it won't hurt anymore!

ReputationRep:
    Grow a pair of grapes between your legs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cheesecakefactory)
    Grow a pair of grapes between your legs.
    hemorrhoids? Eww, you dirty.

ReputationRep:
    I can't understand why people are so afraid of the dentist! As someone above said, the only thing that'll be scary is the needle they'll use to numb your gums. I've had it once and I couldn't even feel the needle, it was strange...

Your dentist will be lovely and you'll love the yummy, clean dentist smell

(Original post by ApplePi)
    I went to the dentist today

How can you never have been?! It's not scary, I promise!

You'll be fine. They will make your tooth better and then it won't hurt anymore!
    I'm 19 and stopped going when I was 2. My Mum had had a lot of work done by a shoddy dentist when she was younger, and never took me. SO I've developed a huge fear

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I just made an appointment for thursday, with a private dentist, I couldn't get into an NHS one, so I know it's going to be costly, but I've spent the last month in absolute agony after a tooth shattered ages ago.
    Thing is, I haven't been to the denist, EVER and I'm so scared! Any tips on making it less so for me?
    I know it's going to be a whole lot better once I've had some teeth taken oiut, but I'm so scared! Any advice is greatly appreciaited!
    Let them know it's your first time and you're a bit anxious. They'll go slow and easy on you.

(Sexual innuendo intended)

Nah but on a level...dentists are trained to deal with anxious patients and will actually be really friendly to you and will explain everything they're doing. You will be numbed for any treatment and the injection won't even feel bad - it's just the thought that's hard to take. Trust me, breathe, you'll be fine and hopefully soon that pain will be gone. Also-they're going to try hard to preserve your tooth so maybe you won't even need extraction.

ReputationRep:
    I hadn't been to the dentist for around 8 years up until last September when I started getting tooth ache from a tooth that cracked when I was around 11. Just let them know that you're a little scared, they'll ask when you last visted a dentist etc. As others have said you will be numbed, I was really scared/nervous about that as well, but ask if they can put some numbing cream on the area before they inject, you won't feel a thing Also if you go to a dentist that does private and NHS service in the same building they'll ask if you want to transfer to NHS, otherwise like you said you'll be paying a bomb and its likely you'll need other fillings.

(Original post by azn-wonder91)
    Let them know it's your first time and you're a bit anxious. They'll go slow and easy on you.

(Sexual innuendo intended)

Nah but on a level...dentists are trained to deal with anxious patients and will actually be really friendly to you and will explain everything they're doing. You will be numbed for any treatment and the injection won't even feel bad - it's just the thought that's hard to take. Trust me, breathe, you'll be fine and hopefully soon that pain will be gone. Also-they're going to try hard to preserve your tooth so maybe you won't even need extraction.
    It's just the roots left, and I think it may be infected as the around area is swollen and throbs constantly. It's not good like, but trying to get into an NHS dentist wasn't happening and i'd tried for nearly a year. So Private it is. My poor, poor bank balance

(Original post by RedFlowers*)
    I hadn't been to the dentist for around 8 years up until last September when I started getting tooth ache from a tooth that cracked when I was around 11. Just let them know that you're a little scared, they'll ask when you last visted a dentist etc. As others have said you will be numbed, I was really scared/nervous about that as well, but ask if they can put some numbing cream on the area before they inject, you won't feel a thing Also if you go to a dentist that does private and NHS service in the same building they'll ask if you want to transfer to NHS, otherwise like you said you'll be paying a bomb and its likely you'll need other fillings.
    The denist doesn't do NHS yet, they're trying to but haven't been approved for it yet, but once they get it, then I can transfer, it's just gonna have to be waited out, but I really need the work doing and know how much better It will feel.

I also need braces due to having wonky teeth... so may have to fork out for them at a later date, but I want the invisible ones... so I won't have a social life for about a year if I pay lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kiss_my_asthma_99)
    Don't worry you will probably be numbed.
    It's the needle that scares you ****less.
    Pussy.

ReputationRep:
    I went in last Friday with a cracked filling, shaking because I was so worried... Dentist immediately smiled at me and called me "tootsy pie" and then started singing as she looked at my teeth.. First time I have ever felt relaxed at the dentist!

Trust me, you'll be fine - the injection isn't as bad as you'll be anticipating, as soon as it's in you start to go numb - and generally you get some cream/gel to make it hurt less too. My dentist usually gives me bubblegum flavour stuff

I've had lots of dental work - braces, 4 teeth out at 8, followed by 3 more under a general at 15, plus 3 fillings, countless x rays and lots of injections - the worst of it was the general anaesthetic - and that was only due to the stitches/cuts in the roof of my mouth healing... Compared t that, getting a tooth out under a local is a walk in the park!

X-Rays, if required, are usually all good too - they'll get you to bite on a piece of hard plastic between your front teeth usually, and sometimes you get a second one in which they make you hold the card between your back teeth. Digs in a bit to your lips but its over and done in minutes... You sometimes get a jaw x ray too - I doubt you would need that though.

Try taking your iPod too? That might help? Dental Fear Central has a lot of good tips (google them).

As has already been said, chat to your dentist before they do any work and they should help.

Lots of luck and thoughts/prayers x

ReputationRep:
    It's just the roots left, and I think it may be infected as the around area is swollen and throbs constantly. It's not good like, but trying to get into an NHS dentist wasn't happening and i'd tried for nearly a year. So Private it is. My poor, poor bank balance
    Ohhh that's so sad Why did you leave it til so late? Hopefully they'll just give anti-biotics, carry out root canal treatment and fit a crown but that would be costly so I'm guessing you'll just opt for extraction :-/ hmm !

Ohhh that's so sad Why did you leave it til so late? Hopefully they'll just give anti-biotics, carry out root canal treatment and fit a crown but that would be costly so I'm guessing you'll just opt for extraction :-/ hmm !
    CIs I'd been trying to go nhs, not private and yeah, I just want them to take
    It out and make it stop hurting I think my face is even swollen cos of it. Darn fears and lack of nhs dentists

Thanksfor the well wishes I reAlly hOpe it goes well and they take the ******* out

ReputationRep:
    The denist doesn't do NHS yet, they're trying to but haven't been approved for it yet, but once they get it, then I can transfer, it's just gonna have to be waited out, but I really need the work doing and know how much better It will feel.

I also need braces due to having wonky teeth... so may have to fork out for them at a later date, but I want the invisible ones... so I won't have a social life for about a year if I pay lol
    Well you could just get your worst tooth sorted for now and then transfer to a dentist that is NHS otherwise it will get extremely costly. Once you go now you need to keep going because you'll need more work done which is what happened to me.

Your braces are cosmetic so I don't think the NHS will pay for them, depending on how old you are they might not suggest braces as your teeth may have already set. But good luck, keep up with the treatment!

ReputationRep:
    One time when I had an injection to numb my mouth, I thought the needle was just the dentist being a **** and digging his nail into my gum... So that's basically the highest level of pain you'll generally experience.

ReputationRep:
    CIs I'd been trying to go nhs, not private and yeah, I just want them to take
    It out and make it stop hurting I think my face is even swollen cos of it. Darn fears and lack of nhs dentists

Thanksfor the well wishes I reAlly hOpe it goes well and they take the ******* out
    Aww don't worry-it will go well and hopefully the pain will all be gone soon. Seriously, let them know you're anxious straight away and they will be sooo nice to you! For now take some ibuprofen if you're not asthmatic? It will reduce the inflammation and ease the pain.
    When they ask about your tooth and take medical history tell them all about the type of pain (hot/cold sensitivity?), about your swollen face and the length of time you've had pain. Let them know the severity of pain and they'll try to sort you out ASAP. and btw you have every right to feel scared and feel pain so don't be ashamed. you're human! and if it's any consolation- I can give anaesthetic but I'm scared to have it done lol. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Hey FRED,

Aww don't worry-it will go well and hopefully the pain will all be gone soon. Seriously, let them know you're anxious straight away and they will be sooo nice to you! For now take some ibuprofen if you're not asthmatic? It will reduce the inflammation and ease the pain.
    When they ask about your tooth and take medical history tell them all about the type of pain (hot/cold sensitivity?), about your swollen face and the length of time you've had pain. Let them know the severity of pain and they'll try to sort you out ASAP. and btw you have every right to feel scared and feel pain so don't be ashamed. you're human! and if it's any consolation- I can give anaesthetic but I'm scared to have it done lol. Good luck!
    I'm actually terrified! I know they're gonna tell me my teeth are shockKing but still, I'm scared! Just hope it will be over quickly and painlessly. Will they take the tooth out right away or wait?'I hope it gets done all in one at the same time as the inspection thing

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 13, 2011
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.