Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    *Cue rather long and complicated explanation*

Basically I've screwed up and my school has totally let me down. I can't restart yr. 13 because that's what I did the year before due to illness/BreakdownI'm what I suppose you would call a neurotic...I suffer panic attacks/severe anxiety/depression and my home life is pretty 'interesting'. So I applied through Special Assess Arrangements and got an offer (Seriously happiest day of my life so far)... My school said that they'd support me particularly with my coursework because (for reasons I cannot understand) I always really, really struggle with it. Only it hasn't worked at all. Although my panic and depression is pretty much under control I still have this bless'd problem with writing assignments without falling into a total pit of despair. The only advice and support I've got is 'just write the damn thing' and they keep shoving me in front of a computer in an attempt to force words out of me. Because I get so stressed (in a can't get out of bed sort of way) my attendance is really low, something like 55%. They refuse to believe I have a problem so won't entertain the idea of deferment and won't ring the collage... Do you think that I could. and would they let me defer at this late stage? I have an ed. psychologist that will write a letter and he's offered to help me with this writing business.

:confused:

P.s. My offer's for English Lit. Girton (Ironic I know)...
    P.p.s I'm actually not that a miserable person, it's just this has been getting me down...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Violet_apple)

Basically I've screwed up and my school has totally let me down. I can't restart yr. 13 because that's what I did the year before due to illness/BreakdownI'm what I suppose you would call a neurotic...I suffer panic attacks/severe anxiety/depression and my home life is pretty 'interesting'. So I applied through Special Assess Arrangements and got an offer (Seriously happiest day of my life so far)... My school said that they'd support me particularly with my coursework because (for reasons I cannot understand) I always really, really struggle with it. Only it hasn't worked at all. Although my panic and depression is pretty much under control I still have this bless'd problem with writing assignments without falling into a total pit of despair. The only advice and support I've got is 'just write the damn thing' and they keep shoving me in front of a computer in an attempt to force words out of me. Because I get so stressed (in a can't get out of bed sort of way) my attendance is really low, something like 55%. They refuse to believe I have a problem so won't entertain the idea of deferment and won't ring the collage... Do you think that I could. and would they let me defer at this late stage? I have an ed. psychologist that will write a letter and he's offered to help me with this writing business.

P.p.s I'm actually not that a miserable person, it's just this has been getting me down...
    Guess the simple answer is: you won't know till you try

Cambridge is usually fairly good about illnesses etc. I don't know if you've heard about the process of degrading but if you start the course and something goes wrong, you can degrade for a term or a year (I think) i.e. come back the next term/year and start from the beginning of what you missed (so if you degrade the year, you come back and do the year again). I know the circumstances have to be pretty severe but as I haven't had any experience of it, can't comment. But bearing this in mind, I'd guess that they would be open to the idea.

But as i say, best thing to do would be to e-mail or phone Girton and just lay it out. Wouldn't hurt to try, right? You don't need the school to contact them for you.

Best of luck

ReputationRep:
    Yeah in my experience colleges far prefer to deal with you rather than someone else, whether that's a parent or a school or whatever. I'm sure if they wish to discuss further your past you could get information passed from your school but that is probably going to be unnecessary.

You've got the offer, well done obviously, and I'm sure your future college want to do their upmost to hold onto you and will help you out as much as possible. Personally I'd phone up, it's more human and it's easier to discuss things and what not. You've got all the necessary evidence but even then I don't think you'd need that. I've known people who've gotten severely ill around exam time and through a complicated mixture of going through work thus far, AS results and whatnot accurate predictions have been made and their university has been happy to take them despite not taking the examinations. It is a complicated procedure, but one your college will walk you through.

As geth said really, the tl;dr is: talk to them good luck

ReputationRep:
    I don't think deferment will help you if you are worried that you won't attain the offer requirement this year, as you need to have done so by 1 September or the offer lapses. It certainly can't do any harm to discuss the situation with the admissions tutor, though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Violet_apple)

Hmm..really feel for you OP! I'm not sure what it is you're asking about...do you want to defer to sort out the health probs or because you might not meet your offer?

Unfortunately at C'bridge you'll probably need to be writing about 2 essays per week so maybe you should address whether this really is the course for you. There's no point doing something that will make you miserable! Definitely speak to your college and explain the problem and ask them how they would support you and gauge how understanding they would be of the problem. Deferring to sort out the problem might be helpful in this respect.

However, I'm sure Cambridge would be fine with letting you in even if you don't meet the offer since you have had health problems. They are usually fairly good about that sort of thing so if you think you could cope with essays etc next year then it will be okay :-)

ReputationRep:
    They let me change the year of entry twice, first to defer for two years, then to change that back to one year. The last one was around this time of the year.

ReputationRep:
    They will most likely let you. They're still allowing people to cancel deferred entry so they must allow the other way round too

ReputationRep:
    I don't want to be a Debbie Downer, but you might want to have a long, thorough think about going to Cambridge. It's fantastic that you've got an offer, and very well done for doing so, but if doing coursework sends you into the pit of despair, then Cambridge might make you very unhappy. You'll be doing the equivalent of a piece of coursework almost twice a week, and I know from some friends that English Literature can be pretty full-on. Find some people on here that do English Lit and have a good chat with them.

(And yes, phone your college!)

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.