Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

For pretty much the entirety of last term I had a crush on a girl in the year below, but never plucked up the courage to talk to her. Even when she sat opposite me in Hall, and was away from all her friends, I still couldn’t think of anything to say.

Now back at home, I’ve been going to the library and this really pretty girl often comes in and sits opposite me. After a bit of Sherlad Holmes detective work, I know she’s single, but still don’t know what to say. When I’m talking to my guy friends, things just roll off the tongue and I don’t even think about how what I’m saying might sound to them, but again, with her, nothing.
    I just don’t want to be http://cdn2.knowyourmeme.com/system/...jpg?1288903617 so what should I do?

ReputationRep:
    "Hello, nice day isn't it?"

ReputationRep:
    just try and start polite conversation... "hello... you alright?" is always a good start, then if things go well ask if she fancies going for coffee so that you can talk further

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    For pretty much the entirety of last term I had a crush on a girl in the year below, but never plucked up the courage to talk to her. Even when she sat opposite me in Hall, and was away from all her friends, I still couldn’t think of anything to say.

Now back at home, I’ve been going to the library and this really pretty girl often comes in and sits opposite me. After a bit of Sherlad Holmes detective work, I know she’s single, but still don’t know what to say. When I’m talking to my guy friends, things just roll off the tongue and I don’t even think about how what I’m saying might sound to them, but again, with her, nothing.
    I just don’t want to be http://cdn2.knowyourmeme.com/system/...jpg?1288903617 so what should I do?
    :lolwut:

Try "Oi....AY DARLIN.....OI IM CHATTIN TO YOU.......OI MY SIZE!"

Works like a charm...

ReputationRep:
    'can i borrow your book for a sec please'. she wont say no.

ReputationRep:

be observant, start the convo with soemthign you notice about her, maybe shes studying osemthing youve studieed before, also they say the key to talking to girls is to treat them liek your guy friends that means forget about how hot she is and talk to her the same way you would to your male friend. genuinly try to get to know her.

ReputationRep:
    After a bit of Sherlad Holmes detective work, I know she’s single
    Don't take this the wrong way, but that sounds kind of stalkerish considering you only know her from sitting opposite her in the library

ReputationRep:
    Hey im _____ insert name. How are you? Then things should roll from there.

ReputationRep:
    If you're lucky she may be doing studying something you are and you could perhaps ask for help.

(Original post by StephenP91)
    If you're lucky she may be doing studying something you are and you could perhaps ask for help.
    I don't think so; I'm a second year university student and she's doing A levels!
    (That could probably be another thread in itself...)

(Original post by simonc1993)
    Don't take this the wrong way, but that sounds kind of stalkerish considering you only know her from sitting opposite her in the library
    Haha, I just saw her name on her folder and searched her on facebook. :beard:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiZZeeKiD)
    :lolwut:

Try "Oi....AY DARLIN.....OI IM CHATTIN TO YOU.......OI MY SIZE!"

Works like a charm...
    If you can't take advice from Kidulthood, your life is doomed to failure.

ReputationRep:
    It would be ideal if you could ask her a genuine question about what book she has/subject she is studying "e.g. "Oh I see you're doing A level maths, I did that a couple of years ago, do you want any help?" but otherwise, as others have said, just a simple "Hi, I'm x, how are you?" will get the conversation started. As for knowing what to say, stop putting so much pressure on yourself. The reason you can chat freely with your mates is because you're relaxed, so don't get all wound up thinking you have to make the perfect comment all the time and just see where the conversation goes.

I do tend to over-analyse social situations; I'll try and just 'go with the flow' and see what happens.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DH-Biker)
    If you can't take advice from Kidulthood, your life is doomed to failure.
    My sentiments exactly. And if you look like Adam Deacon, hey, you're all good :sexface:

ReputationRep:
    Fancy a quick one?

ReputationRep:
    Smile at her and say 'hi/hey/hello/whatever floats your boat.
    If she smiles back properly and says something back, then it'll be easier to strike up some small talk with her.

Just go for it, you've got nothing to loose!

ReputationRep:
    throw a mashed up paper ball at her, when she looks tell it wasn't you but ask if she's okay.. then get the convo rolling

ReputationRep:
    But seriously... I find that "Hello" is a good conversation starter, followed by "What's your name" (pretend you don't already know).

ReputationRep:
    "Hi I've seen you around, what's your name?" and then that can be followed by where are you from, what are you studying and then gradually build in more "personal" questions like her favourite band, TV show, movie etc.. fingers crossed you'll stumble upon something you have in common to discuss further. But don't creep her out by asking too much!

ReputationRep:
    engineer a situation where you bump into her or something

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 13, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.