The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JayTeeKay
Oh, well you must be right.

Like I'm going to listen to a psychologist :tongue:

And I thought you said you'd dropped your academic snobbery :wink:

Original post by hyn_shayan
Indeed. But like someone previously said. Isn't photosynthesis, cells and such fact rather than theory as they have been seen and observed?

Two things:
1. You're confusing the scientific term 'theory'. Read j.alexanderh's post above.
2. Whilst we can observe that plants photosynthesise, and we can do various experiments to find out the mechanisms involved, there is still some speculation involved. No one has ever directly observed an enzyme alter its active site to accommodate a substrate for example.
Reply 41
Biology is definitely a science. It's about pursuit of knowledge through rational thought and experimental means.

Biology uses all the physical principles laid out in physics - it's just that the systems we deal with are so complex that we choose to assume certain known things to be true. If a biologist is thinking about how a muscle responds to exercise, they'll only concern themselves with the biological parameters and variables. Sure, the chemical bonds in individual molecules have given energies which affect how the molecules behave, but a biologist takes a more observational view of it. People with different expertise can deal with the small stuff. We build on the understanding the physical sciences provide to explain complex systems and then relate that to how organisms and even whole ecosystems function.
Of course! So ultimately, you're saying that Medicine is not a science?
Original post by thegodofgod

Medicine is the application of Science.

One thing that's always bothered me about Medicine is it's heavy roots in Statistics.
(edited 13 years ago)

Well, it's not really. Biomedicine is. The practice of medicine isn't.

Medicine is like engineering - the application of scientific principles for practical purposes. Engineers apply physics and chemistry, medics apply biology and biochemistry. Allied strongly to science, feeding into scientific endeavour, but hard to define as part of science.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by DeeWave
Biology is definitely a science. It's about pursuit of knowledge through rational thought and experimental means.

Biology uses all the physical principles laid out in physics - it's just that the systems we deal with are so complex that we choose to assume certain known things to be true. If a biologist is thinking about how a muscle responds to exercise, they'll only concern themselves with the biological parameters and variables. Sure, the chemical bonds in individual molecules have given energies which affect how the molecules behave, but a biologist takes a more observational view of it. People with different expertise can deal with the small stuff. We build on the understanding the physical sciences provide to explain complex systems and then relate that to how organisms and even whole ecosystems function.

Biophysics, I think you'll find, is the answer to that.
Biology can be a science in the same vein as physics with the correct approach, but simply observing and describing isn't enough in my view.
simply observing and describing isn't enough in my view.

Who gives a **** about your view? Have you even been to a university lecture?
Original post by GodspeedGehenna
Who gives a **** about your view? Have you even been to a university lecture?

I have actually.
Who the **** cares what a psychologist has to say on the matter? At least biology tries to be a science. Psychology is a joke of a subject if I ever saw one. Maybe people would actually respect you if you had done a proper subject and not wasted your time on a silly little pseudo-science degree :wink:

Not that I think that. I just wanted to say that because you're being a ****

Grow up and have a proper discussion like an adult.
Lol, the arguments in this thread remind me of this comic:

Apologies if someone has already posted it, I haven't read all the posts.

Anyway, this whole thing is nothing more than physicists feeling superior because mathematics is more 'pure' and can be unquestionably proved, whereas biology is more applied and based on observation. Science isn't about theoretical proofs and formulae, it's about explaining the world, be that through theory or observation, it's still science. Even things like sociology are still sciences of sorts, they're just... less pure, because human behaviour is such a complex and random thing. It's pointless arguing about it though, because however much you may argue, having the biological knowledge to save someone's life is more important than finding prime numbers.
Reply 50
Original post by Aphotic Cosmos
Medicine is like engineering - the application of scientific principles for practical purposes. Engineers apply physics and chemistry, medics apply biology and biochemistry. Allied strongly to science, feeding into scientific endeavour, but hard to define as part of science.

Sounds about right. I'd say that medicine and engineering were professional fields within the discipline of science, though they aren't exactly sciences. The underlying physics and biology are sciences. But engineers and doctors are definitely scientists - just their work is a little more of an applied science than that of a researcher in a lab.
Well, it's not really. Biomedicine is. The practice of medicine isn't.

Is it not?

Using drugs to cure/prevent diseases?

Drugs which have a chemical structure? No Chemistry involved?

Drugs which bind to enzymes? Which are not Biological?
I have actually.
Who the **** cares what a psychologist has to say on the matter? At least biology tries to be a science. Psychology is a joke of a subject if I ever saw one. Maybe people would actually respect you if you had done a proper subject and not wasted your time on a silly little pseudo-science degree :wink:

You've just ridiculed two vast and important fields of science - psychology and biology - for no good reason and without justification, and you're telling someone who has repeatedly burned you to "grow up"? :facepalm2:

Psychology is a science. Sociology is a science. Political science is a science. Geology is a science. Geography is a science. Hell, pretty much eveything that employs empiricism and derives theories through healthy discourse between interested professionals is a science. People within these and other fields look at what's happened, analyse it, reason for it and try to establish theories that hold true for the majority of the time based on what they've seen. Science is far more than physicists and chemists working in a lab, it's a way of seeing the world.

I have actually.

Stop being so rude. It wouldn't be so bad if you were at least right, but this is just embarrassing. I am a scientist, I am employed in an academic research institution. I read scientific journals every single day. Do you know what they're not all filled with? Equations for every little thing, because that's not what science is about.
I have actually.

Pfft, please. You're not a physicist. You're a jumped up little school kid.

What about drug trials in medicine? Is that not experimentation? (Which is how "Science" has been defined here).
You've just ridiculed two vast and important fields of science - psychology and biology - for no good reason and without justification, and you're telling someone who has repeatedly burned you to "grow up"? :facepalm2:

Note the words "Not that I think that".

Idiot.

You are correct about the sciences though, I'll grant you that. But some are definitely more important than others.
Pfft, please. You're not a physicist. You're a jumped up little school kid.

Better than being a psychologist? I think so.
Is it not?

Practicing medicine is not science. Treating patients is not conducting experiments in accordance with the scientific method. Medicine is driven by science, but it is not science itself.
Is it not?

I'd argue that the development of those drugs and treatments is scientific, but the administration of them is less so.

Diagnosis is an empirical, scientific thought process, but I'd argue that actual medical practice (whilst scientific) is not actually science.

Latest

Trending

Trending