Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    For my 18th, my Grandmother bought me an expensive pen (and one of those sort of twist up pencils but it's like made of silver) - the sort of thing you'd treasure and pass down. It's engraved with my Christian name and middle name and I wonder whether I should use it or not...

Would you? Only at home, I'd never take it out of the house.

ReputationRep:
    For playing darts with? No. For writing with? Of course. That's what it was made to do after all.

ReputationRep:
    Generally such pens/pencils are made to be more decorative than functional. You can certainly use it, it will work fine, but they may not be the best quality in terms of durability! use it as frequently as you would a normal pen and it will probably break.

you can still use it of course, I always think it's silly to have something like that and be unable to use it, but maybe keep it only for things like handwritten letters etc, rather than general writing, scribbling and work.

ReputationRep:
    On the flipside, sometime these pens have really hard nibs, and they won't bend to suit your writing style like a typical parker fountain pen - so it's really scratchy and the ink flow is really bad. This is what I found when I was given a decorative pen a while back

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    For playing darts with? No. For writing with? Of course. That's what it was made to do after all.
    (Original post by The Mr Z)
    Generally such pens/pencils are made to be more decorative than functional. You can certainly use it, it will work fine, but they may not be the best quality in terms of durability! use it as frequently as you would a normal pen and it will probably break.

you can still use it of course, I always think it's silly to have something like that and be unable to use it, but maybe keep it only for things like handwritten letters etc, rather than general writing, scribbling and work.
    (Original post by Architecture-er)
    On the flipside, sometime these pens have really hard nibs, and they won't bend to suit your writing style like a typical parker fountain pen - so it's really scratchy and the ink flow is really bad. This is what I found when I was given a decorative pen a while back
    It's a twisty ball point. I also notice that my handwriting tends to suffer a bit, not that it's great anyway.

ReputationRep:
    use it for special stuff.....

otherwise keep in shiny case

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't, it would be alot more nice to treasure it in a box or something and go get yourself a 10p bic pen

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hatemylife)
    For my 18th, my Grandmother bought me an expensive pen (and one of those sort of twist up pencils but it's like made of silver) - the sort of thing you'd treasure and pass down. It's engraved with my Christian name and middle name and I wonder whether I should use it or not...

Would you? Only at home, I'd never take it out of the house.
    Yes... but only important things... not like school work or anything but if I was writing an important letter or something to give to my girlfriend.

After all, what's the use of a pen when it runs out of ink? If you sparingly use it now you can pass it on to your children for them to use... or keep.

ReputationRep:
    personally I'd not use it so I can preserve it. That's only because I break things easily

But if you're careful, why not?

ReputationRep:
    I'd use it for special stuff at home and maybe take it to school/college/uni occasionally

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.