Turn on thread page Beta

What Do You Have In Common With Your Bf/Gf? watch

ReputationRep:
    Well... we like the same kind of movies, and we have some overlap with music but he's more loyal to bands than I am, I can be quite fickle. We're both also rather lazy when it comes to appearances. Once I've done my hair I can never be bothered putting together an outfit, I just chuck on jeans and a t-shirt.

That's kind of it. It won't last - but it's fun for now, at least.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure the boyfriend and I have loads in common. I mean we have a similar sense of humour, we're both very academic and driven, we both enjoy cooking (and eating haha). But our personalities and the way we react to things is the complete opposite- he's very laid back and relaxed, whereas I worry and stress out very easily. We completely disagree when it comes to choosing a film at the cinema and I'm much more of a foward planner than he is. I like it this way though, I think we compliment each other. People always joke that he is the one who keeps me sane/balanced, and perhaps their right. Although I'd like to think I offer something positive to him too. Just because we don't have lots in common doesn't mean we're not happy in our relationships and (*cheese warning*) he is my best friend too!

ReputationRep:
    We have the same friends mostly. We accept that we are different people and like different things.
    We think if we had a lot in common.....we would have exhausted our differences....and gone boring long ago.

ReputationRep:
    -music
    -films
    -sense of humour
    - linguistics
    -political/religious debates
    - travelling
    -walking
    -pub
    -going out for meals
    -reading

reading that it sounds like we're mega similar but he's a massive football and gaming fan whereas I can't stand either of them!

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes I wonder...

But we both like riding our bike.

ReputationRep:
    we both ride horses, into the same music, intellectual, enjoy debating stuff, gsoh (scarily similar at times) - yeh. tis a good match.

oh, and we both LOVE sex. with each other. which is rather swell.

but yeh, i think its important to have stuff in common with someone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RedFlowers*)
    Do you still get on well with each other eventhough you don't share a lot of interests?
    Yeah, sure We've been together for nearly two years.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think its as easy as just listing the things we have in common. I think the bond goes beyond the common things between the couple.
    Also, I don't think having things in common is important because if your both similar then it may just get boring but if your different then you try new things because of them - things like their favourite food, listen to their kind of music, go to places they enjoy etc and I think that is all very important in the relationship.
    Back to your question OP, if its the common things your after then I think the most important common things to have is love, respect for and trust in your other half.

ReputationRep:
    Love of languages, same career goals (his actual job and what I'm studying), sense of humour, naughty, games, music and musical intruments...eh, probably more but too tired to think of them.

ReputationRep:
    Err thinking about it, not actually a lot. Same taste in music and that's about it. I'm going to uni, and he's worked as a mechanic for 9 years. And yet we can talk for hours about everything :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Actually don't have much at all in common with my current bf.

A) He's a lot more laid-back than me.
    B) He studies Television and doesn't know what he's doing after uni, I study pharmacy and have a job lined up.
    C) He's more forward than I am when it comes to just about everything.

It's a good balance, because A means that he calms me down, whereas I encourage him to work when he has a deadline for uni. B means we've got different things to talk about - he's good at suggesting films to watch and he asks a lot of questions about what I do with pharmacy (plus I'm handy if he's ill and needing to take something for it :lol: ). C means he asked me out, and I'm alot less nervous about making the first move when it comes to little things like hugs and stuff. (Whereas in the past I've gone out with people of similar forwardness as me and it's taken us forever to get anywhere, and it's eventually burnt out cos we're both too nervous to even cuddle into each other, let alone anything else).

It's funny cos when I think about it from an outsiders perspective I don't think we'd look well-suited but it really works

ReputationRep:
    We both work for the NHS
    We both dislike the NHS
    We both want to leave the NHS

ReputationRep:
    to be honest I like the personality to be pretty opposite as it makes the relationship more exciting I think! But you have to have some interests that are the same... like me and my boyfriend have similar taste in music, movies, academic/career stuff (we are both law students and want to be lawyers), same religious views and similar political ideas. Also we have the same taste in food (there will rarely be any arguments about what to have for dinner!). But at the same time we have enough opposite to not make the relationship boring, especially as he is completely different from me personality wise.

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely nothing, not even in music/ film/ humour/ personality/ opinions/ politics/ acdemia/ food etc

Gosh come to think of it I'm amazed we're even together.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 13, 2011
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.