Turn on thread page Beta

Boy born with extra strand of DNA. watch

ReputationRep:
    In the first case ever recorded a young disabled boy has been found to have an extra strand of DNA

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/38/20110412...a-8b62568.html

There goes another creationist argument.

ReputationRep:
    Pretty sure this is the start of an episode of The X-Files.

Seriously though, real shame for the boy and his family.

ReputationRep:
    Oh how us Brits love to be unique xD

ReputationRep:
    our first x-man?
    i wonder what superpower he'll develop

ReputationRep:
    Please please please please have supernatural powers!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chucklefiend)
    In the first case ever recorded a young disabled boy has been found to have an extra strand of DNA

Whats the relevance of that though? People with down syndrom have a whole extra chromosome.

ReputationRep:
    Nuneaton? oh my where I live but sad for the family.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chucklefiend)

Lol this only goes to further proove that evolution is false not the other way round. Any genetic addition/subs or removal ends in harmful side effects. Why dont you see any of these ''mutants'' with beneficial alterations?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moonkatt)
    Whats the relevance of that though? People with down syndrom have a whole extra chromosome.
    In the article it's mentioned that chromosome 7 is made up three stands instead of two. Which is quite odd,I wonder how it would appear like...

ReputationRep:
    In a way I feel really sorry for the boys family, but this is just groundbreaking stuff... I sincerely hope he has a good life

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by digistar_100)
    Lol this only goes to further proove that evolution is false not the other way round. Any genetic addition/subs or removal ends in harmful side effects. Why dont you see any of these ''mutants'' with beneficial alterations?
    Because evolution happens over millions of years, not a few decades. There are many more ways in which significant genetic change can be damaging rather than beneficial, thus beneficial change is much rarer. Nobody who knows anything about genetics or evolution would expect to see a beneficial mutation in the very short time we've been able to analyse the human genome.

ReputationRep:
    I think the worst part is that its unrecorded, so nobody really knows what his life is going to be like

ANDDD The article said 1 in 200 babies are born with a 'rare' genetic disorder.

So genetic disorders aren't really very rare then?

ReputationRep:
    what you on about?

The sickle-cell mutation protects against malaria.
    The ginger hair mutation allows people to produce for vitamin D in cold climates.
    The pigme mutation allows pigme indians to traverse jungles better.
    The white skin mutation(s) allows people to survive in polar regions.
    There are mutations which allow gurkhas to survive in high altitudes.
    There lactose producing mutation allows Europeans to digest cows milk.
    The Aspergers mutation(s) gives people remarkable skills especially in things like computers.

Not to mention the hundreds of thousands of mutations which separated our lineage from the apes.

ReputationRep:
    I can't quite work out what they mean by an "extra strand". All of the articles I could find by Googling seem to just describe it as an "extra strand", but not whether that's a third chromatid of one chromosome (which is what Down's and Klinefelter's are), or if it's a bit more DNA on the end of a normal chromatid, or if he has triple helix DNA, or something else that I haven't thought of.

I understand that newspapers have to simplify scientific information so that the average reader can understand it, but it'd be great if there was somewhere we could read more detailed information! But then if it's a big deal, I guess it'll be in a journal or New Scientist soon...

ReputationRep:
    They don't seem to be journalising anything more than the uniqueness and scientific importance of it without explicitly explaining what this means for all us laymans!

ReputationRep:
    I want to think this is a trolly. Really. Really. Badly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noobynoo)
    what you on about?

The ginger hair mutation allows people to produce for vitamin D in cold climates.
    The Aspergers mutation(s) gives people remarkable skills especially in things like computers.

Not to mention the hundreds of thousands of mutations which separated our lineage from the apes.
    Ooh, and cystic fibrosis protects against cholera and some other horrific diarrhoea diseases!

Edit: why neg?!

ReputationRep:
    Beneficial mutants are all around us.

ReputationRep:
    what you on about?

That is some serious PWNAGE you did there bro ! :cool:

ReputationRep:
    what you on about?

I don't mean to be pedantic, but I think they meant additions or subtractions of genetic material, as opposed to mutations of existing genes.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.