Turn on thread page Beta

Is there a link between classical music and level of intelligence? watch

ReputationRep:
    Ppl that listen to classical music today do so because they or (with kids) their parents care enough about their musical-education/taste/cultural education as to go out of your way to listen to it. These kinds of ppl are more prone to read a book than go channel surfing or slum around chavving through town. Tell me one person who listens to classical music who doesn't like books. I'll show you a million who don't listen and sport graffiti spray cans.
    So in general, classical music is one effect of literacy and intelligence, although there are others. I have intelligent friends who listen to rock, but I have no friends who listen to Wagner and are stupid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emaemmaemily)
    I think it's more a case of people who are intellegent enough to appreciate music for it's complexity, themes, meanings, and through understanding tend to like some classical music... Classical music itself doesn't make people intellegent, and it doesn't mean that people who don't like it are un-intellegent. But a lot of people don't like it because they don't understand it and can't appreciate the genius and subtlty of the emotional content, or simply because it's "uncool", which is a fairly ignorant/un-intellegent point...
    I hope that made sense :/
    good +1

ReputationRep:
    I think the average intelligence of someone who listens to classical music will be above the national average because the complexity and subtleties of the genre require some critical thought to be properly appreciated.

But there are many intelligent people who simply aren't interested in classical music. And I'm doubtful that the act of listening to certain music makes one more intelligent, although it certainly develops specific auditory and musical abilities.

ReputationRep:
    No, there's a link between liking classical music and class.

And a link between class and educational attainment, which people wrongly associate with 'intelligence'.

Go figure.

ReputationRep:
    There is no scientific evidence of a correlation between the two, much less a causality. Listening to classical music wont make you smarter, being smarter does not mean you like classical music.

People who like classical music are, more often than not, players of a classical instrument. They like the music because they play it, or music like it, and because they like playing their instrument. People who place classical instruments are loosely correlated with wealthier parents, because of the need to pay for music lessons and the instruments, but also the view of their parents that classical instruments are superior and demonstrate intelligence.

This is pretty much the entirety of the basis for the belief that classical music gives intelligence. It is circular, logically incorrect (it is the reverse of the logically correct deduction that those who believe classical music brings intelligence are more likely to listen to classical music, the reverse steps are not logically true) and used only by those who wish it to be true.

Arguably, you can find from this a slight correlation to intelligence; it requires several intermediate correlations, all of which are very poor correlations, meaning that overall the significance of the correlation is pretty negligible. It is also a logical reverse of the belief that classical music brings intelligence, the reverse steps are again not true! still, here it is:
    There is the tiniest, roughest correlation that says that on average said parents' children will be marginally more intelligent than those of poorer parents. This is due to a similarly small correlation between intelligence and gained wealth, and a correlation (the only significant one in this entire discussion) between the intelligence of parents and children.
    certainly bellow the threshold for statistical significance, so it's impossible to verify whether the correlation is indeed true or not.

People who like classical music are generally perceived as smarter by those who are not sufficiently intelligent to truly understand what intelligence is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Mr Z)
    There is no scientific evidence of a correlation between the two, much less a causality. Listening to classical music wont make you smarter, being smarter does not mean you like classical music.

People who like classical music are, more often than not, players of a classical instrument. They like the music because they play it, or music like it, and because they like playing their instrument. People who place classical instruments are loosely correlated with wealthier parents, because of the need to pay for music lessons and the instruments, but also the view of their parents that classical instruments are superior and demonstrate intelligence.

This is pretty much the entirety of the basis for the belief that classical music gives intelligence. It is circular, logically incorrect (it is the reverse of the logically correct deduction that those who believe classical music brings intelligence are more likely to listen to classical music, the reverse steps are not logically true) and used only by those who wish it to be true.

Arguably, you can find from this a slight correlation to intelligence; it requires several intermediate correlations, all of which are very poor correlations, meaning that overall the significance of the correlation is pretty negligible. It is also a logical reverse of the belief that classical music brings intelligence, the reverse steps are again not true! still, here it is:
    There is the tiniest, roughest correlation that says that on average said parents' children will be marginally more intelligent than those of poorer parents. This is due to a similarly small correlation between intelligence and gained wealth, and a correlation (the only significant one in this entire discussion) between the intelligence of parents and children.
    certainly bellow the threshold for statistical significance, so it's impossible to verify whether the correlation is indeed true or not.

People who like classical music are generally perceived as smarter by those who are not sufficiently intelligent to truly understand what intelligence is.
    Listening to Bach for 10 minutes a day increases your IQ by 5. Fact.

What is intelligence, really? Enlighten me!

ReputationRep:
    I think it's more a case of people who are intellegent enough to appreciate music for it's complexity, themes, meanings, and through understanding tend to like some classical music... Classical music itself doesn't make people intellegent, and it doesn't mean that people who don't like it are un-intellegent. But a lot of people don't like it because they don't understand it and can't appreciate the genius and subtlty of the emotional content, or simply because it's "uncool", which is a fairly ignorant/un-intellegent point...
    I hope that made sense :/
    You're right mostly, but a lot of people just don't like it even though they can understand it perfectly.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Do you think individuals that largely listen to classical music over any other types of music are generally highly intellectual people? Or do you think there is no link between the two?
    I'd say there are probably links but not the kind you're implying, per se

ReputationRep:
    In the sense that more intelligent people tend to be less ignorant, i.e. more open-minded, then yes, since they are more likely to seek it out and find that they like it.

Classical music doesn't boost intellect, however the desire to listen to it may well point towards intellect. I.e. People listen to classical music because they are more intelligent, rather than people being more intelligent because they listen to classical music.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Do you think individuals that largely listen to classical music over any other types of music are generally highly intellectual people? Or do you think there is no link between the two?
    I play piano and listen to a fair bit of classical and im a lot like this = :ahee:

so not always

ReputationRep:
    I'll just quote "In the Loop" and say "the only reason you'd listen to this **** is because it's bad form to actually wear a hat that says 'I went to private school'"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sicarius1992)
    You're right mostly, but a lot of people just don't like it even though they can understand it perfectly.
    Yes of course some people are like that too... I just mean largely the reason people don't like it is because it's uncool and they aren't intellegent enough to see past that; as a lot of people who like it do so because they have an understanding of it... But that's not a general rule, just a majority correlation.

ReputationRep:
    What about people who like lots of different types of music, how can you judge then? I love some classical pieces to bits, but I spend more of my time listening to metal, rock and shoegaze. Would it mean that I would be more intelligent if I devoted more time to classical music?

I think there is a kind of link, but classical is not the only music which is complex with lots of intricacies. A lot of electronic, drone, ambient and even metal can be extremely complex. Some people even say that rock and metal is an extension of classical music, because they can do all the same things with less instruments as it is louder.

But generally I think intelligent people are more likely to favour COMPLEX music to SIMPLISTIC music, whatever the genre. I would imagine there are more Cambridge students who like complex music than stuff like ndubz

ReputationRep:
    Yes of course some people are like that too... I just mean largely the reason people don't like it is because it's uncool and they aren't intellegent enough to see past that; as a lot of people who like it do so because they have an understanding of it... But that's not a general rule, just a majority correlation.
    Classical music is no different from any other genre. Listening to classical music is by no means an indicator to your intelligence. It's like saying 'He listens to rock music so he must be intelligent' or 'She listens to pop so she's a dumbass *****'.

I think music is entirely subjective. Some like it, some don't.

ReputationRep:
    Hell no.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by No!)
    Classical music is no different from any other genre. Listening to classical music is by no means an indicator to your intelligence. It's like saying 'He listens to rock music so he must be intelligent' or 'She listens to pop so she's a dumbass *****'.

I think music is entirely subjective. Some like it, some don't.
    I don't think you read what I said... I didn't say listening to it means you're intellegent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by metalthrashin'mad)
    What about people who like lots of different types of music, how can you judge then? I love some classical pieces to bits, but I spend more of my time listening to metal, rock and shoegaze. Would it mean that I would be more intelligent if I devoted more time to classical music?

I think there is a kind of link, but classical is not the only music which is complex with lots of intricacies. A lot of electronic, drone, ambient and even metal can be extremely complex. Some people even say that rock and metal is an extension of classical music, because they can do all the same things with less instruments as it is louder.

But generally I think intelligent people are more likely to favour COMPLEX music to SIMPLISTIC music, whatever the genre. I would imagine there are more Cambridge students who like complex music than stuff like ndubz
    Classical music is the 'pure' form of music. Everything that proceeded classical music is just an extension of it - like Physics and Chemistry are extensions of maths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liam 09)
    No general link like that. I only hear of parents playing classical music to their babies because they think it may increase intelligence - I have no idea if that actually works whatsoever.
    My mum did this when she was pregnant with me.
    Don't think it worked....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by No!)
    Listening to Bach for 10 minutes a day increases your IQ by 5. Fact.

What is intelligence, really? Enlighten me!
    Well for a start, intelligence is about thinking critically about statements, and reaching logical conclusions based on your own judgement.

It's not about trolling, the only thing you are capable of. And yes, I've read plenty of your posts.

However, a response for the benefit of those out there interested in learning how to spot non-statistics.

Nope, such a test could only be done in two ways. Both ways statistically invalidate the conclusions because they introduce bias.

method 1: Take people who don't listen to Bach, find their IQ, make them listen for 10 minutes every day for a period, measure IQ again.

Reason it doesn't work: Your performance on an IQ test is shown to increase each time you take an IQ test, the tests are fallible and practice makes you better. This is a much more statistically significant effect than 5 points.

Method 2: Request for people who listen to Bach to do an IQ test, and take a sample of the respondents. Compare with a control sample selected at random from the population.

Reason it doesn't work: Requesting that one sample be made of those who listen to Bach biases the sample, as those responding will be those who a) saw you're request (where you published it will introduce bias) and b) are intelligent enough to want to take the test, knowing full well that this is what you will be testing for (and due to their like of Bach, will only respond if they believe they will validate the theory)
    This introduces at least 3 more degrees of freedom into the results, the correlation discovered no longer relates to listening to Bach, but to whether or not you read and responded to the request.

ReputationRep:
    Recent research found that those who were most academically able tended to listen to heavy metal. Make of that what you will.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.