Turn on thread page Beta

Current GEP students watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I was just wondering, on a GEP course are there any optional modulars so you can pursue particular avenue after graduation.

Not really bothered either way just a general wondering

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    There are some selective study modules and most schools operate a sort of 'project' type piece of work at some stage. However compared to the 5 year courses these research projects tend to be quite short and basic (because in theory the grad courses were/are aimed at biomed science students who will already have done lab or project work).

For the most part though, whatever length of course you do there won't be much selective material. Medicine is quite curriculum based so even when you get choices they tend to be trivial. E.g. - would you like to do a presentation about cancer, an essay about cancer or a poem about cancer. When I applied all the 'tomorrows doctors' rubbish was about selective modules. Supposedly it was going to stop doctors being the 2-dimensional inside-the-box thinkers that they are. But when they revised Tomorrows Docs a year or two ago they took most of that stuff out. So now you'll do even less than I did (which wasn't much). To be honest though the less selective stuff the better - it might just be my experiences but invariably they have been ****e.

ReputationRep:
    Pre-freshers take note: The OP waited 2 days to bump, not 2 minutes! That's how to do it! :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by airtones)
    There are some selective study modules and most schools operate a sort of 'project' type piece of work at some stage. However compared to the 5 year courses these research projects tend to be quite short and basic (because in theory the grad courses were/are aimed at biomed science students who will already have done lab or project work).

For the most part though, whatever length of course you do there won't be much selective material. Medicine is quite curriculum based so even when you get choices they tend to be trivial. E.g. - would you like to do a presentation about cancer, an essay about cancer or a poem about cancer. When I applied all the 'tomorrows doctors' rubbish was about selective modules. Supposedly it was going to stop doctors being the 2-dimensional inside-the-box thinkers that they are. But when they revised Tomorrows Docs a year or two ago they took most of that stuff out. So now you'll do even less than I did (which wasn't much). To be honest though the less selective stuff the better - it might just be my experiences but invariably they have been ****e.
    Thanks for that.

(Original post by winter_mute)
    Pre-freshers take note: The OP waited 2 days to bump, not 2 minutes! That's how to do it! :P
    To be honest I forgot I posted it

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 15, 2011
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.