This discussion is closed.
tartan-gal
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
I just wanna say ive been rejected from three universities (2 physio and one medcine course). I have 5 Higher A's and I'm just a little bit hacked off. What more do they want? Ive showed them I'm an all rounder. I didn't just study last year. Ive also been predicted AAA in my Advanced Highers. Does work experience matter that much? (I mean I have some but not as much as other people) Still the courses I have got in to sound really good-just no job at the end of it thats all. What do I do now?
Bitewing
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by tartan-gal)
I just wanna say ive been rejected from three universities (2 physio and one medcine course). I have 5 Higher A's and I'm just a little bit hacked off. What more do they want? Ive showed them I'm an all rounder. I didn't just study last year. Ive also been predicted AAA in my Advanced Highers. Does work experience matter that much? (I mean I have some but not as much as other people) Still the courses I have got in to sound really good-just no job at the end of it thats all. What do I do now?
I suppose it depends on how you put yourself across in your personal statement.

Work experience definately matters when applying to medicine, though you don't really need loads and loads.

How many universities have you applied to? - just three? If you've been rejected from all your choices, you could try clearing, though places for medicine in clearing are rare. I imagine its much the same for physio.
*Riz*
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by tartan-gal)
I'm sorry - rejection can be so hard. It's even worse when there don't seem to be any obvious reasons why you were rejected. The only thing I can think of is that if you were applying to both Medicine and Physio in and you talked about them both in your personal statement then you didn't look commited enough. Maybe the physio courses though you would get offers for medicine so would no accept theirs so that is why they rejected you.
On the other hand I have a friend who is predicted straight As for A level, has work experience, good GCSE and AS results and all the rest but still got rejected without interview for physio at Notts. Sometimes courses are so over competitve they use the smallest things to distinugish between applicant - such as a needing an A* in GCSE science as I know Durham did for one subject this year (maybe natsci i'm not sure).
A lot of people (including me) have though "what more do they want?" after being rejected and I don't think anybody really knows. There is always a little bit of luck invloved in the application process. Did you get your forms in on time/early?
Try not to let it get you down too much, both medicine and physio are incredibly overcompetive courses and you always have the option of clearing/ucas extra/reapplying next year or applying for a different course. If you applied to more than 3 unis then you will probably get offers from the others anyway. I know having these options won't help much at the moment but you will find the right uni and course for you eventually so try to keep your head up.
madmazda86
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Yeah - if you talked about both subjects in your personal statement they can get a bit iffy about it. I had my Orthoptics interview yesterday and the senior lecturer interviewing me asked me why I had hardly anything on Orthoptics in my personal statement. I've applied for 4 Zoo/Bio courses and 2 Orthoptics, so I was a bit stuck for an answer as I HAD written an awful lot about the biology stuff in there. I'm now kicking myself that I didn't write more about my Orthoptics interest, because I think they're going to reject me... At the time I wasn't sure if I definitely wanted to do Orthoptics or not, but now I'm really enthusiastic about it as well as Zoology, which was what I'd originally been planning to go for. I've only got one more chance for Orthoptics now - hope I don't blow it!

It's not so bad if you're going for two similar courses like Zoology and Ecology or something, but if it's two quite different courses then the personal statement can be a bit too broad for their liking. Especially medicine, they are SO finicky about stuff like that, even if it is Allied Health Professions and whatnot - they don't really like the idea of people applying for any other course besides Medicine or perhaps Biomedical sciences because it seems like you've got divided loyalties, so to speak.

I hope the other unis you applied to treat your application more kindly - good luck!
jediknight007
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I just got rejected by SOAS for Economics and Japanese. I'm predicted ABB. I think it was my personal statement which did it.

I will probably get rejected by UCL for Maths with Modern Languages, KCL for Maths and I don't really want to do Chemistry with a European Language at UCL. I just hope that LSE offer me a conditional offer for Maths and Economics now. Otherwise, it will have to be Maths and Italian at Greenwich! Well, at least it's only 10 minutes from where I live.....
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (142)
17.95%
It's just nice to be back! (213)
26.93%
Not great so far... (283)
35.78%
I want to drop out! (153)
19.34%

Watched Threads