Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey all.

I have an offer from Univ for 2011 entry, and when looking at the accomodations, I saw the large difference between the two. I want to save as much money as I can, so I'd prefer to move out at the end of each term, but my parents are opposed to the idea because they'd have to come pick me up (3 hours each way) and take me back each term.

So what I was thinking is that I could use storage space so I can manage to move out each term and make my own way home via trains. But I wouldn't be able to take all my stuff back, only some of it.

I was wondering if there is any storage space I could use to achieve this, as I figure it'd be the most cost efficient way of living?

ReputationRep:
    I have a similar problem to you - I live about 3 hours away from Oxford by car.

Found this in the Univ Undergraduate Handbook 2010-2011.

"Vacations

Students are required to vacate their rooms at the end of each term unless application for Vacation residence has been approved or they are on extended residence contracts. Students requiring extra residence may be required to move rooms. At the end of each term, before they go down, students must inform the Porters’ Lodge of their vacation address in case they need to be contacted urgently. All belongings, including refrigerators, must be removed. Failure to remove all belongings will result in the occupant being charged for commercial packing and storage of all items left. Typical charges are £40 for packing and £30 per month for storage. "

It looks like we probably won't be able to get storage space for our stuff then

ReputationRep:
    I have the same problem - over the whole four years I've been here, I've never taken all my stuff home at the end of term (which is probably why I find myself with so much stuff now). I live more than three hours away and my parents have odd working hours so they could never come and pick me up. You will find a way to manage, but it is a bit of a pain. In my first year I used a self-storage company over the vacations and had to hire a man with a van to transport my things. Your college *might* have limited storage space if you ask nicely and explain your situation, but international students usually get first dibs.
    Worth noting that if you club together with a friend you can significantly reduce the cost of storage - I definitely didn't pay £30 per month.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laeti)
    I have the same problem - over the whole four years I've been here, I've never taken all my stuff home at the end of term (which is probably why I find myself with so much stuff now). I live more than three hours away and my parents have odd working hours so they could never come and pick me up. You will find a way to manage, but it is a bit of a pain. In my first year I used a self-storage company over the vacations and had to hire a man with a van to transport my things. Your college *might* have limited storage space if you ask nicely and explain your situation, but international students usually get first dibs.
    Worth noting that if you club together with a friend you can significantly reduce the cost of storage - I definitely didn't pay £30 per month.
    Good to know it's not just me! I was thinking exactly of a self-storage company, didn't know if any really were around, or if there were some deals you can get. Any chance of knowing where this £30/month thing is?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inexistence)
    Good to know it's not just me! I was thinking exactly of a self-storage company, didn't know if any really were around, or if there were some deals you can get. Any chance of knowing where this £30/month thing is?

Thanks!

I went with Big Yellow, which is on the ring road, so not very convenient to get to. There's a place on Botley Road which is a bit closer and if you don't have a load of stuff you could probably get by with taking a taxi there instead of having to hire a van. These places usually do student deals so if you just call them up they can give you a quote. You usually need to have your own padlock and there are a fair few forms to fill in, but as long as you arrange it in good time (i.e. not in 8th week when you have labs and three tutorials, like I did...) you'll be fine.

It is a bit of a pain, and I'm always jealous of my friends whose parents could come and take all their stuff home, but it's not impossible!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laeti)
    I went with Big Yellow, which is on the ring road, so not very convenient to get to. There's a place on Botley Road which is a bit closer and if you don't have a load of stuff you could probably get by with taking a taxi there instead of having to hire a van. These places usually do student deals so if you just call them up they can give you a quote. You usually need to have your own padlock and there are a fair few forms to fill in, but as long as you arrange it in good time (i.e. not in 8th week when you have labs and three tutorials, like I did...) you'll be fine.

It is a bit of a pain, and I'm always jealous of my friends whose parents could come and take all their stuff home, but it's not impossible!
    That's great, thanks a lot! I'll definitely have a look. I'll see a bit closer to the time, when I'm actually there, rather than before I've even got my grades. I don't imagine I'll have all that much stuff, but still, I'll have to see.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laeti)

Thanks, I'll look into it later!

ReputationRep:
    You might like to investigate sendmybag.com - which I've used countless times. For the long vac (ie. summer) they are perfect and worked out cheaper than storage. If you send more than 3 you get 10% off.

ReputationRep:
    There's another storage place on the Botley Road, I think it's called Personal Storage. One of my friends used sendmybag as mentioned above, and he was also impressed with it.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.