Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Flares at Football - UK watch

ReputationRep:
    What are people's opinions on flares at football and the general 'Ultras' scene?

I personally love it - the atmosphere and games on the continent when there is a good, organised Ultras groups is immense. I mean, we are starting to see ultras in England, but their not organised that well - with the established groups in Europe having access to the club etc

I mean - this looks impressive, do you not agree? :

ReputationRep:
    Do not want flares in England or organised groups of idiots causing mayhem.

And yes I will now get the 'oh but ultras aren't always hooligans' crap. There is a generalistion for a reason, as they generally are hooligans out to cause mayhem.

Also, flares should never be in the stadium as it prevents you from actually seeing the match :facepalm2:
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    I think they are dangerous, flairs. They are unneeded on a football match. The whole point of 'spectators' is to watch the match, not to start a fight, blow vuvuzelas, etc. I don't mind playing cards when bored, eating, drinking, talking, singing. But setting off flairs could be distracting to the players, and could be dangerous, and it also prevents you from watching the match, especially when it is lit on the pitch, play has to be stopped and possibly abandoned - the latter which mangers and players hate, especially if they were winning.

It maybe has a good sight, but also dangerous and has many disadvantages to football.

ReputationRep:
    Standing has to be reintroduced before anything else. Flares in other countries are now overused so don't really add much to the atmosphere.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWIog...eature=related

ReputationRep:
    On the 26th of march demo some idiot popped a flare upwind of me and all the ashy stuff blew in my face. This was not pleasant. So i think they should be banned in football grounds as they can be dangerous in packed crowds.

ReputationRep:
    FLares are boss.

More flares the better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mess.)
    Do not want flares in England or organised groups of idiots causing mayhem.

And yes I will now get the 'oh but ultras aren't always hooligans' crap. There is a generalistion for a reason, as they generally are hooligans out to cause mayhem.

Also, flares should never be in the stadium as it prevents you from actually seeing the match :facepalm2:
    Well, generally they aren't hooligans - that's the point. Yes they have their hooligan elements, like in the UK but the whole ultra ethos is not about fighting in the slightest.

Maybe i focussed to much on flares but many games in the UK have really flat atmosphere (particularly the Premiership) and i think this could be a way improving that somewhat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ukr-nffc)
    Well, generally they aren't hooligans - that's the point. Yes they have their hooligan elements, like in the UK but the whole ultra ethos is not about fighting in the slightest.

Maybe i focussed to much on flares but many games in the UK have really flat atmosphere (particularly the Premiership) and i think this could be a way improving that somewhat.
    It doesn't matter what ethos they say they have. Actions speak louder than words.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mess.)
    It doesn't matter what ethos they say they have. Actions speak louder than words.
    The actions of a minority - the hooligan elements in all groups of supporters have given the rest a bad name. These elements within the ultras are the same as the knuckle-dragging idiots in the UK who still like to have a scrap over what is essentially just a game.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mess.)
    Would you have agreed with the government taking that approach to football in general?

Fortunately they didn't and we now have much safer football grounds, I see no reason why this sort of thing can't be phased back in if well managed. Over the past few years I've seen some awesome displays from foreign fans who've made no trouble at all.

ReputationRep:
    And I have seen many displays from foreign fans causing absolute mayhem and destruction. Your point is null :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Surely you admit that football had an inherent hooligan problem that was effectively managed by the police, I'm just pointing out the same could be done for this. Whether that's an effective use of police budget is another matter entirely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mess.)
    And I have seen many displays from foreign fans causing absolute mayhem and destruction. Your point is null :dontknow:
    By your logic, you point is null too ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ukr-nffc)
    By your logic, you point is null too ...
    I know that :facepalm2: It was clearly being used as a reference for how pointless his point was :facepalm2:

Sometimes taking a couple of seconds to think about what you are typing helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mess.)
    I know that :facepalm2: It was clearly being used as a reference for how pointless his point was :facepalm2:

Sometimes taking a couple of seconds to think about what you are typing helps.
    How was i supposed to know that, it's not as if irony is the easiest thing to convey over a message board, is it!?

ReputationRep:
    I would love to see flares, flags, scarf's etc at football games. English have the best league, but foreign leagues have the best fans. They are more passionate, exactly why I love Europa League and Champions League so much!

It's not about violence at all, it's about showing passion towards your club. One thing I would love to see as well would be the jumping dance thing where all the fans face the opposite way, all join as one and start jumping/singing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RekhOr_fWPU << Quite possibly the best thing ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8vHkNn9f_A << ("Jumping dance thing"... Called the Poznan)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JTS1992)
    I would love to see flares, flags, scarf's etc at football games. English have the best league, but foreign leagues have the best fans. They are more passionate, exactly why I love Europa League and Champions League so much!

It's not about violence at all, it's about showing passion towards your club. One thing I would love to see as well would be the jumping dance thing where all the fans face the opposite way, all join as one and start jumping/singing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RekhOr_fWPU << Quite possibly the best thing ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8vHkNn9f_A << ("Jumping dance thing"... Called the Poznan)
    haha - the Lech fans are brilliant - if you haven't seen already, check this out (from an U12's match during the first team's winter break)

I saw them play Legia Warszawa a while back and both sets of fans were loud, passionate and looked impressive - little or no violence.

Also this:

ReputationRep:

Arsenal away fans :congrats:

Flares are only acceptable in the above situation :smug:

ReputationRep:
    No thanks. We aren't even allowed booze at matches for a reason.

ReputationRep:
    I thought this was going to be thread about somebody's experience of wearing flares to a football match and being ridiculed by the rest of the supporters there.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.