Turn on thread page Beta

Men are better than women. Sorry but they just are. watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emaemmaemily)
    Working doesn't lead to depression.
    My degree choice means I'm not doing well? I'm heading into a huge working industry with many options, good knowledge and plenty of different routes available to me. I'm doing very well.
    I know what it's like to have parents who give me free time, because they still did! This is my point. My Dad worked from home; it means he worked longer hours, but was still around. My mum worked while we were in school some days of the week (but not all), so there was always someone around (and in the evening, both of them). I fail to see how you can think this is "giving me no time".

Who said anything about big tvs and holidays? again, making assumptions. My mother's wages payed for our extra curricular activities (because these are EXPENSIVE), so that they could give us every opportunity in life.

Regardless of WHERE you link was from, it was based on a small study of a state in another country (irrelevent to us), and didn't explain WHY there were less women in higher jobs (or even specualte) so it was pretty irrlevent to our argument.
    Why can't the father phone in sick occasionally and look after the sick child? It doesn't need to be the mother. Men are just as good at looking after children these days.
    Well depression amongst women is on the increase and more women are working now then ever before. The confusion between whether a woman should be a mother or a worker is possibly leading to this.
    http://www.blogher.com/depression-hi...king-moms-hard
    http://diversitywoman.com/2010/02/16...nd-depression/

Just google this topic. This problem is happening all over the world showing that women are not really meant to work....which is obvious and perfectly fine, unless you are arrogant enough to think you can argue with nature.

As for raising kids, how many people work from home?! Imagine if your dad did not, would you still support it? I think you need to look at the far more common situation that both parents are out 9-5.

Women have evolved to look after children and are better at doing it then men..so why not let them? Unless of course the mother does not want to look after the kids. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jimbo1234)
    Well depression amongst women is on the increase and more women are working now then ever before. The confusion between whether a woman should be a mother or a worker is possibly leading to this.
    http://www.blogher.com/depression-hi...king-moms-hard
    http://diversitywoman.com/2010/02/16...nd-depression/

Just google this topic. This problem is happening all over the world showing that women are not really meant to work....which is obvious and perfectly fine, unless you are arrogant enough to think you can argue with nature.

As for raising kids, how many people work from home?! Imagine if your dad did not, would you still support it? I think you need to look at the far more common situation that both parents are out 9-5.

Women have evolved to look after children and are better at doing it then men..so why not let them? Unless of course the mother does not want to look after the kids. :rolleyes:
    I think you are deluded.
    Women are not becoming depressed because they're not meant to work. That's bloody ridiculous... depression seems like it's on the rise at the moment anyway, because people are becoming more aware of it.

Yes I would still support it, as I've explained a lot already. And it's not common for both to be working 9-5... We are talking about ONE working full time, and one working part time (which usually only involved 4-5 hours in one day, easily fitting into a childs school hours).

Of course women were meant to work! We are equipped with a brain just as good as men's, and are capeable of all the same things in that respect. A lot of women aren't as STRONG as men, but that's pretty irrelevent these days.
    We have the same mental capeabilites, which is why there are plenty of women scientists, and in just about every other industry working their way into them.
    Women haven't evolved simply to look after children. Back when we were cave-people, perhaps it was as simple as women looking after the young and sorting out fires while the men hunted and fought with each other... But we have evolved a hell of a lot more since then! We have the same mental abilities, and so we have just as much ability to work as any man.

I actually can't believe you think this. I hope to God you're a troll.

ReputationRep:
    I think you are deluded.
    Women are not becoming depressed because they're not meant to work. That's bloody ridiculous... depression seems like it's on the rise at the moment anyway, because people are becoming more aware of it.

Yes I would still support it, as I've explained a lot already. And it's not common for both to be working 9-5... We are talking about ONE working full time, and one working part time (which usually only involved 4-5 hours in one day, easily fitting into a childs school hours).

Of course women were meant to work! We are equipped with a brain just as good as men's, and are capeable of all the same things in that respect. A lot of women aren't as STRONG as men, but that's pretty irrelevent these days.
    We have the same mental capeabilites, which is why there are plenty of women scientists, and in just about every other industry working their way into them.
    Women haven't evolved simply to look after children. Back when we were cave-people, perhaps it was as simple as women looking after the young and sorting out fires while the men hunted and fought with each other... But we have evolved a hell of a lot more since then! We have the same mental abilities, and so we have just as much ability to work as any man.

I actually can't believe you think this. I hope to God you're a troll.
    You are joking right?
    I just gave you clear evidence showing that many women are not meant to work as they are becoming more depressed yet you think I, the person with a substantiated view, is the one who is deluded?
    Wow.......

This is now all about you not being comfortable or able to accept that man and women are different rather then the role of women in the work place.
    We have not evolved much at all, this is why Plato and other philosophers works from over 2000 years ago still perfectly relevant.

Now are you going to actually come up with evidence to support you opinion or just keep denying facts due to being uncomfortable with the truth?

ReputationRep:
    You are joking right?
    I just gave you clear evidence showing that many women are not meant to work as they are becoming more depressed yet you think I, the person with a substantiated view, is the one who is deluded?
    Wow.......

This is now all about you not being comfortable or able to accept that man and women are different rather then the role of women in the work place.
    We have not evolved much at all, this is why Plato and other philosophers works from over 2000 years ago still perfectly relevant.

Now are you going to actually come up with evidence to support you opinion or just keep denying facts due to being uncomfortable with the truth?
    We've evolved a lot from being cavemen (20,000 years ago +), a lot longer ago than 2000 years ago. We have changed a lot more rapidly since that time socially.

You gave no evidence showing that many women are not meant to work at all. Your sources didn't prove that at all. Depression is becoming more common in general at the moment, not just amoungst women, and there's nothing to prove it's because women are working.
    It's not an "uncomfortable truth" because it's a load of bull****. I said that we are mentally the same in abilities, which IS proof that we can work just the same.
    Of course there are differences between men and women, but not in the sense that women can't work. You have showed me no evidence of this.

I think you're living in the deluded past. Women have proven that they are just as capeable as men... Everyone knows it!

ReputationRep:
    I say you are a troll and I collect my £10.

ReputationRep:
    We've evolved a lot from being cavemen (20,000 years ago +), a lot longer ago than 2000 years ago. We have changed a lot more rapidly since that time socially.

You gave no evidence showing that many women are not meant to work at all. Your sources didn't prove that at all. Depression is becoming more common in general at the moment, not just amoungst women, and there's nothing to prove it's because women are working.
    It's not an "uncomfortable truth" because it's a load of bull****. I said that we are mentally the same in abilities, which IS proof that we can work just the same.
    Of course there are differences between men and women, but not in the sense that women can't work. You have showed me no evidence of this.

I think you're living in the deluded past. Women have proven that they are just as capeable as men... Everyone knows it!
    What grounds are you basing your wild claims? We have not physically change from 2000 years ago so stop confusing physical evolution with social evolution.

Men and women have different brains, thus we will be different. how you think two different things will be the same is alarming to say the least.

A increase of depression amongst women shows that the modern lifestyle does not suit them and one of the largest changes has been work. Why else are they getting depressed? Just because?

Next time you post please would you actually back up your crazy opinions rather then just spouting them like they are fact. I can back up mine if you want me to but I doubt you can.

ReputationRep:
    What grounds are you basing your wild claims? We have not physically change from 2000 years ago so stop confusing physical evolution with social evolution.

Men and women have different brains, thus we will be different. how you think two different things will be the same is alarming to say the least.

A increase of depression amongst women shows that the modern lifestyle does not suit them and one of the largest changes has been work. Why else are they getting depressed? Just because?

Next time you post please would you actually back up your crazy opinions rather then just spouting them like they are fact. I can back up mine if you want me to but I doubt you can.

There probably is a grain of truth in what you say. We have changed a HUGE amount socially in the past few millenia compared to a probable negligible biological change. This is why prejudice- the herd mentality- is still sadly with us.

I believe that some day biology will catch up but we have to keep making progress for progress's sake, and not stop just because of what we used to be. This is the same reason why despite being a libertarian I believe communism will someday work.

ReputationRep:

I actually said we have evolved SOCIALLY!!! Read it. That's what my point is based on! And I was comparing it to when we were cavemen, not when plato was around.

We have the same brain. We have slight differences, but not any that stop women being able to work.

http://www.personalityresearch.org/papers/mule.html - this is a good source, discussing MANY reasons why women may suffer from repression more. It's not as simple as you make it out to be, it's not clear cut, and there isn't ONE answer.

My crazy opinions? Open your eyes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UnashamedLiberal)
    There probably is a grain of truth in what you say. We have changed a HUGE amount socially in the past few millenia compared to a probable negligible biological change. This is why prejudice- the herd mentality- is still sadly with us.

I believe that some day biology will catch up but we have to keep making progress for progress's sake, and not stop just because of what we used to be. This is the same reason why despite being a libertarian I believe communism will someday work.
    Me too ^

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UnashamedLiberal)

True, but why try to fight it? Women should have equal rights, but why should society push them to be a worker rather then a mother? Women are made to be mothers so let them be. It worked out pretty well up till now so why change what is not broken?

I actually said we have evolved SOCIALLY!!! Read it. That's what my point is based on! And I was comparing it to when we were cavemen, not when plato was around.

We have the same brain. We have slight differences, but not any that stop women being able to work.

http://www.personalityresearch.org/papers/mule.html - this is a good source, discussing MANY reasons why women may suffer from repression more. It's not as simple as you make it out to be, it's not clear cut, and there isn't ONE answer.

My crazy opinions? Open your eyes.
    Well then my point is even clearer. We have changed socially but not physically thus what we are doing is most likely not good for our mental health.
    The problem will be far more complex then just stopping women from working, but women working is one of the largest changes women have faced over the last 50 years when depression rates begin to increase.
    I am not saying women are stupid or that they can not do a job well, just that doing a job may not be the best thing for them nor their family, especially when they will face less opportunities in the workplace then their male counterpart.

ReputationRep:
    True, but why try to fight it? Women should have equal rights, but why should society push them to be a worker rather then a mother? Women are made to be mothers so let them be. It worked out pretty well up till now so why change what is not broken?

Well then my point is even clearer. We have changed socially but not physically thus what we are doing is most likely not good for our mental health.
    The problem will be far more complex then just stopping women from working, but women working is one of the largest changes women have faced over the last 50 years when depression rates begin to increase.
    I am not saying women are stupid or that they can not do a job well, just that doing a job may not be the best thing for them nor their family, especially when they will face less opportunities in the workplace then their male counterpart.
    Well I just completely disagree. We are moving forwards, not backwards. Women are just as capeable of doing a good job, and there's no evidence to say that women are suffering from depression simply because of them working.
    I've already explained how you can raise a great family with happy children and still work, and how it doesn't have to be the man working (can be the other way around).
    Pushing forwards means women will gain MORE oppotunities in the work place. This is not a reason to not bother allowing women to be treated as equals (when we ARE intellectually equal).

ReputationRep:
    Well I just completely disagree. We are moving forwards, not backwards. Women are just as capeable of doing a good job, and there's no evidence to say that women are suffering from depression simply because of them working.
    I've already explained how you can raise a great family with happy children and still work, and how it doesn't have to be the man working (can be the other way around).
    Pushing forwards means women will gain MORE oppotunities in the work place. This is not a reason to not bother allowing women to be treated as equals (when we ARE intellectually equal).
    Ok, as we can not find out why the modern woman is starting to suffer from depression, I'll focus on the other point - womens opportunities in the workplace.

This will most likely never change as many women want children at the same time when serious promotions kick in (~30 yrs old).
    Now that is fine but a company will never higher a manager or director who buggers off for 9 months.
    Also women will want to stay on less stressful jobs due to family commitments.(Source)
    This shows that it is not the system that is limiting women, but that women eventually want a family over a career which is the best out come in my opinion(and obviously theirs).

ReputationRep:
    If men are superior to me as a woman why is it that I am the top of my class in a male dominated profession? (Engineering)
    I would also point out that your forgetting to mention the matriarchal societies in history.
    I also doubt that you would be able to achieve all the things that many women achieve in a typical day... Such as working then coming home to cook a meal from
    Scratch then taking care of children along with other various tasks instead of sitting at a keyboard being a lazy ****.

ReputationRep:
    Jimbo, I think this image would describe you well.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, as we can not find out why the modern woman is starting to suffer from depression, I'll focus on the other point - womens opportunities in the workplace.

This will most likely never change as many women want children at the same time when serious promotions kick in (~30 yrs old).
    Now that is fine but a company will never higher a manager or director who buggers off for 9 months.
    Also women will want to stay on less stressful jobs due to family commitments.(Source)
    This shows that it is not the system that is limiting women, but that women eventually want a family over a career which is the best out come in my opinion(and obviously theirs).
    Right... Except there ARE plenty of women managers and directors in the world. Maybe not as many right now, but there are. The employers are usually understanding, and are becoming increasingly so on the whole.
    I get your point, but I think things are improving on that part, and that's not a reason for women not to work. You don't have to go REALLY high in a company to earn a good wage, and if you're having children that usually means you have a partner earning too.

Basically your point doesn't prove that men are better, or that women shouldn't/can't work... or that women should only look after children, etc.

ReputationRep:
    Right... Except there ARE plenty of women managers and directors in the world. Maybe not as many right now, but there are. The employers are usually understanding, and are becoming increasingly so on the whole.
    I get your point, but I think things are improving on that part, and that's not a reason for women not to work. You don't have to go REALLY high in a company to earn a good wage, and if you're having children that usually means you have a partner earning too.

Basically your point doesn't prove that men are better, or that women shouldn't/can't work... or that women should only look after children, etc.
    There are a number of female managers, but the majority are men and why would this change if this profession gap is optional and not forced?
    Unless there is social change and women want a profession over being a mother, men will remain to dominate the workplace.......and rightly so seeing that there is a higher chance of women getting depressed or leaving.
    I do not think this will change but it will remain how it is because everyone is happy with it.

Also what would you say is a good wage? Because I would argue that you would have to be high up to get a good wage but that maybe because I am thinking of at least £50K+ being good.

ReputationRep:
    There are a number of female managers, but the majority are men and why would this change if this profession gap is optional and not forced?
    Unless there is social change and women want a profession over being a mother, men will remain to dominate the workplace.......and rightly so seeing that there is a higher chance of women getting depressed or leaving.
    I do not think this will change but it will remain how it is because everyone is happy with it.

Also what would you say is a good wage? Because I would argue that you would have to be high up to get a good wage but that maybe because I am thinking of at least £50K+ being good.
    Women are not more likely to get depressed or leave just because of working... As I've already argued with you, and you conceded.

You don't have to be at the top to get a decent wage... And as I've said, if there are TWO of you with an income, the woman doesn't necessarily need to earn £50k+ because there's both of them.

We're going round in circles.

ReputationRep:
    I remember reading a theory once that men got into more management positions because they were more willing to sacrifice their personal lives to put the necessary hours in. This may or may not be true. I don't know.

ReputationRep:
    Men are just jealous because after uni they have to work for the next 50 years whereas women can chillax at home with the kiddies. I know which life I'd rather lead....GIRLLLL POWER

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sc8880)
    Men are just jealous because after uni they have to work for the next 50 years whereas women can chillax at home with the kiddies. I know which life I'd rather lead....GIRLLLL POWER
    Most women don't do that... And they don't CHILLAX! Wow.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.