Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hiya,
    I am seriously considering dropping out of university. I'm in the last term of my first year.
    I don't enjoy it, am seriousy behind with work .. and cant really even say I see myself using my degree in the future, so it seems like such a waste of time and money.
    However, I've been applying for jobs left, right and cente ..and have heard nothing back. I plan on getting as many cleaning jobs ect, needed until i find something permenant.
    However, I am in student accomodation at the minute, as I moved away from home to go to uni. i'd like to stay in the city that i study in ... would i be able to stay in the halls until the beginning of summer?
    I've also put a deposit down on a student house .... how would this be effected?
    And im confused about what would happen to my loan/ grant ect.....
    help?
    Thank you so much x

ReputationRep:
    anyone at all ......??

ReputationRep:
    Best advice stay in education, unless you have real prospects for employment! Just try your hardest to pass your first year - if not, I'm sure you can do resits in the summer (around August I think). You don't have to get a job in your subject area after you graduate..you could go into a range of careers.

ReputationRep:
    For the love of God, finish the year! It's practically over anyway!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by smileybop)
    Hiya,
    I am seriously considering dropping out of university. I'm in the last term of my first year.
    I don't enjoy it, am seriousy behind with work .. and cant really even say I see myself using my degree in the future, so it seems like such a waste of time and money.
    However, I've been applying for jobs left, right and cente ..and have heard nothing back. I plan on getting as many cleaning jobs ect, needed until i find something permenant.
    However, I am in student accomodation at the minute, as I moved away from home to go to uni. i'd like to stay in the city that i study in ... would i be able to stay in the halls until the beginning of summer?
    I've also put a deposit down on a student house .... how would this be effected?
    And im confused about what would happen to my loan/ grant ect.....
    help?
    Thank you so much x
    Firstly, finish and pass the year as then if you drop out you will almost definitely be able to have that accredited as a Certificate of Higher Education.

If you drop out you can cancel your student loan application for next year and will pay back what you currently owe under the same conditions as anyone else.

You will probably lose your deposit, unless you find someone to take your place and take over the contract so that the landlord has to do no extra work.

ReputationRep:
    contact your landlord you may be able to keep your deposit and live in that house, my housemate has done that this year she failed her first year for the second time! but her parents paid for her to remain living with us, all she has to do is pay council tax on top,

or find someone to take your place in the house
    x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddy__power)
    Firstly, finish and pass the year as then if you drop out you will almost definitely be able to have that accredited as a Certificate of Higher Education.
    Do all universities do this?

ReputationRep:
    Well judging by how late it is in the year, you probably have to pay the fees for the whole year- so if you want to stay in halls until the end of your contract then yes you'd be able to. If you aren't enjoying uni and think your subject is pointless then it seems silly to do another two years just for the sake of things. It's better to have only wasted one year of tuition fees rather than three. Having a year out and working in the "real world" might help you to make up your mind about what you'd like to do in the future, providing you don't waste the year.

ReputationRep:
    u could have tried too actually do ur work coz wots the point in going too uni and being a failure.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Dreizhen)
    Do all universities do this?
    If I'm honest I'm not sure, but the ones I have knowledge of do and from what I can gather any university can as long as your results are confirmed and it is confirmed you wish to withdraw. To be sure, I would email the relevant person(s) at your university and ask

ReputationRep:
    Only drop out if you have a plan for when you drop out - if you're just going to be a bum and not get a job, is it really worth it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddy__power)
    If I'm honest I'm not sure, but the ones I have knowledge of do and from what I can gather any university can as long as your results are confirmed and it is confirmed you wish to withdraw. To be sure, I would email the relevant person(s) at your university and ask
    I see, thanks!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Dreizhen)
    I see, thanks!
    No problem.

ReputationRep:
    Stay in education. Take a piece of work at a time and do it. You'll probably find that you hate it less when you are not so stressed and so far behind. You will lose the deposit on the house if you don't take it, so don't change anything before you make a real effort to catch up. Could you change courses?
    The work place is crap at the moment, so unless you get lucky, do this as the least of two evils. Good luck. Now enough of the good luck - get working.

ReputationRep:
    its your first year and its not even over yet! what did you think uni would be like? you seem really unprepared... finish this year even if you fail and give yourself the 3month holidays to decide if you want to come back or not

ReputationRep:
    If you feel the course isn't working for you, then perhaps a potential course change? Definitely finish the year at least and that will open up your options with regards to doing a different course at some point. As has been mentioned, the job market isn't looking too great at the moment, and it's more difficult for you especially given that you haven't heard back from anywhere yet and haven't got anything guaranteed. I'd arrange an appointment with the uni advice centre ASAP and they could help out with giving advice about accommodation and staying in your town etc. too.

ReputationRep:
    Don't bother dropping out now, it's a waste of a whole year, you may aswell grit your teeth and get on with the year.

It's only another term and you will be getting qualifications from it.

ReputationRep:
    What is the point?
    You chose the course for a reason, you wanted to go to university, you are hating it because you are falling behind but you know what you can do to change this? Start your work now, it isn't hard and it will most likely change your outlook on it all plus it is nearly the end of the first year, it would be stupid to drop out now.
    I mean do you have a plan of what you're going to do if you do drop out? A realistic plan? Good luck, lol.

ReputationRep:
    just do it

ReputationRep:
    Dropping out of uni to get "loads of cleaning jobs" doesn't strike me as a masterplan.

Unless you know exactly what you want to do and can assure yourself that a degree for you is worthless then stay at uni, put in the work and at least pass the year. 1st year won't count towards your degree classification so you can improve in your second and third year and little harm will be done.

Even if you are certain you want to leave uni and that it is meaningless for you, guess what, you may change your mind. I did and I wish I had someone telling me "it's only a couple more years, stick at it, it will be worth it in the long run".

Trust me on this returning to university is a lot harder when you're older.

Finish the year. You then have 3 months to mull it over. Use this time to test your alternative arrangements and see how you find them, maybe think of changing degree, but don't just chuck it in because it's getting hard and boring.

Anything in life that's worth having is difficult and sometimes we all have to tolerate a bit of boredom to get to the interesting bits.

Good luck.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.