Turn on thread page Beta

Are a couple less likely to break up if the missus is pregnant? watch

Announcements

:confused:

ReputationRep:
    thats what people think. utter bullsh*t.

ReputationRep:
    Nope - Have you not seen Jeremy Kyle :yes:

ReputationRep:
    :dontknow: Depends on the couple and circumstances. In fact, it's pretty much the opposite in some cases, as I heard a statistic that many teenage pregnancies tend to end with the couple splitting before the baby's born.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure. In my case, I can't see my boyfriend and I breaking up because we love each other deeply, but (touch wood nothing ever will go wrong) should anything go wrong, we'd be less likely to separate, because we would have to consider the baby rather than just ourselves.

ReputationRep:
    unless you're relationships already strong it's just an added pressure. so more likely to break it tbh

ReputationRep:
    Depends - if you're pretty good already then having a child can better your relationship. if you're not good then having a baby is only going to make it even worse. I'm assuming either you or your missus is pregnant?

ReputationRep:
    abortion

ReputationRep:
    i wouldnt base the rest of your relationship on it! it could split you up depends how strong you are already

ReputationRep:
    Hmm I think that's the general belief, but if you watch 16 & pregnant (lol crass example, but meh) they OFTEN if not ALWAYS end up eventually breaking up. I wish that they stayed together and supported each other, but as CherryCherryBoomBoom said- depends on the couple. Some couples are stronger than others. Sigh :/

ReputationRep:
    depends if its planned or not... how long they have been together??

ReputationRep:
    I can imagine couples are more prepared and determined to try and make the relationship work if there is/ there will be a child involved. Having said that, it doesn't mean the extra effort will stop them breaking up.

ReputationRep:
    OP, are you considering getting your 'missus' pregnant then so she doesn't leave you?

ReputationRep:
    Its an added stress on the relationship so no I don't think they are less likely to break up. More the opposite really depending on the couple and strength of the relationship.

ReputationRep:
    babies make relationships harder, not easier. if it's strained now...try having that on top of no sleep.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anthropology_app)
    babies make relationships harder, not easier. if it's strained now...try having that on top of no sleep.
    Exactly this! It's one of the most stressful things you can go through as a couple, you have to have a very strong relationship to raise a child, and stick at it together.

ReputationRep:
    More likely, the statistics say. Couples with children more often get divorced than those without.

ReputationRep:
    Being pregnant makes life very stressful - there is a LOT to deal with and think about, eg we only have a one bed house and two large dogs, we need to sell up and buy a bigger house. We have two cars totally unsuitable for transporting a baby AND said large dogs - we have to sell the cars and buy more suitable vehicles. We have to buy a huge amount of stuff for the baby, how are we going to afford it and where are we going to put it all. When I finish my degree, no-one is going to offer me a decent job knowing that I'm going to be having a baby in a few months time, we're going to find this hard with no savings and only one of us earning and so on and so on...

All this is stressful enough and it's going to be even harder when the baby is actually here.

For some of us, despite the extra stress and being unplanned, it's wonderful - my OH and I believe very strongly in the whole family unit business, would never have made the decision to keep the baby if we weren't certain we could deal with all the stress and still love each other, and are getting married this summer. For others, it's too much and they're simply not ready to have a child. I don't think that anyone should ever, ever have a baby to try and solidify a relationship, because if the relationship isn't right anyway, it's only going to make things worse. You only have to look at pregnancy forums to see hundreds of young women who have found themselves pregnant and alone because their relationship failed when they fell pregnant.

ReputationRep:
    Most teen pregnancy relationships ends when there's pregnancy involved.Not so much marriage.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 13, 2011
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.