Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Hey guys,

I've been selected for a leadership course which takes place during the Easter holidays, and as a result I have been training by doing quite alot of CV exercises over the past few weeks.

Anyways, I seem to have developed a form of injury in my lower shin area but just above the ankle. It only occurs after I've been running (either treadmill or without, but only once after the treadmill). I can do about 4km at a steady pace until it starts becoming a considerable pain and I need to either take a break or stop completely.

I don't want to take it to the doctors YET incase they tell me that I have to scrap the course and rest it for endless months. A friend of mine said that it was to do with the shoes I'm wearing, another says that it could be to do with the warm up; but surely that would have affected both?

So really I was just wondering if there are any sporty people on here (not meant to be an insult to you lot) that know about this sort of thing and what I could do to sort it out.

Thanks x

ReputationRep:
    You have the classic symptoms of a range of over use injuries known as 'shin splints.' Sadly rest and iceing the afflicted area are the only real cures, with a good lay off of high impact CV work. What sort of leadership course are you doing ? There are ways of coping with it but these come with risks of stress fractures and ligament damage.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 13, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.